BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-09-2024, 11:08 AM   #1
ByeByeVTEC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

2012 135i - Sunroof won't close automatically

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has any next-step advice for me. The sunroof trips every time I try to close it after opening. Sometimes it takes 5-10 tries of pushing forward the button and holding it to get the sunroof to close.

Last week I had my car at my uncle's shop and used his fancy new autologic computer to run the sunroof limits test. During this test the sunroof safety sensors are disabled and the sunroof runs through its full range of motion. I was very happy thinking that this would fix my problem but when I got back in the car the issue persisted (I tried to run the program 4-5 times).

Is there any way to re-program the safety sensors aside from what I tried? Or does anyone know where they are / if they can be cleaned or replaced?

Any advice appreciated; summer is coming and the car sounds too good to leave the sunroof closed!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 01:56 PM   #2
4JawChuck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i SE

Have you tried cleaning the fiber gasket around the roof window, often accumulations of dirt pack into the fiber making it less compliant which causes the window to not close automatically.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 02:52 PM   #3
ByeByeVTEC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

The car is quite clean and parked underground but I'll give that a look as well!

I guess if it's triggering a safety stop then it's probably hitting an unexpected amount of friction so cleaning / lube should help. The symptoms just don't really line up as the motion (when it does close) is super smooth and the motor is not straining.

Oh well, fun BMW bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4JawChuck View Post
Have you tried cleaning the fiber gasket around the roof window, often accumulations of dirt pack into the fiber making it less compliant which causes the window to not close automatically.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 01:35 PM   #4
parameter416
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i M-Sport Coupe 6MT

It sounds like you may have covered this in your uncle's shop, but have you tried the BMW sunroof reset procedure to recalibrate the sunroof settings?

"Turn the car to the on position but don't start it. Press and hold the sunroof button as you would to tilt it. Hold it for about 30 seconds and the sunroof will start its reset procedure. Keep holding the button till it runs through its cycle and fully closes again. Done." (https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...47&postcount=5)

If you Google it you'll find lots of YouTube videos to demonstrate the procedure. It's easy. I hope this helps.

Last edited by parameter416; 04-11-2024 at 01:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 01:57 PM   #5
Finneganistan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 135Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by parameter416 View Post
It sounds like you may have covered this in your uncle's shop, but have you tried the BMW sunroof reset procedure to recalibrate the sunroof settings?

"Turn the car to the on position but don't start it. Press and hold the sunroof button as you would to tilt it. Hold it for about 30 seconds and the sunroof will start its reset procedure. Keep holding the button till it runs through its cycle and fully closes again. Done." (https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...47&postcount=5)

If you Google it you'll find lots of YouTube videos to demonstrate the procedure. It's easy. I hope this helps.
This fixed my sunroof issues when I first bought the car last fall! Very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 02:49 PM   #6
N55e82Simon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2011 bmw 135i  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finneganistan View Post
This fixed my sunroof issues when I first bought the car last fall! Very helpful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by parameter416 View Post

"Turn the car to the on position but don't start it. Press and hold the sunroof button as you would to tilt it. Hold it for about 30 seconds and the sunroof will start its reset procedure. Keep holding the button till it runs through its cycle and fully closes again. Done." (https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...7&postcount=5)

Clean it really well. Lube it and do this. I bet you are good based on what your saying.
Appreciate 0