BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-07-2014, 11:42 PM   #1
Rob Daman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

coolant smell but dealer can't find where and why

Hey guys,

So I bought my 2011 N55 vert just 1 month ago. After purchase I noticed a sweet smell which reminds me of coolant around the engine bay. I took it to the dealer for a few issues which that was one but they can't find it. They supposedly did a pressure test and nothing was found but even the service advisor agreed there's a distinct scent.

Have any of you guys had this issue? I'm going to go to another dealer in a few weeks. I want to at least enjoy the car for a little bit.

thanks all
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 08:58 PM   #2
Mark James
Rep
Drives: E88

I know this is an old post and you probably don't have your car anymore but hopefully I can help people in the future. I had the same symptoms and just solved it using uv dye. Three-piece hose that comes from the expansion tank to the radiator consists of two rubber hoses and the hard plastic hose (in the middle) that sits on top of the radiator. the rubber hoses are fiber reinforced and my coolant was wicking through the fiber exposed on the end. I searched the internet and found that this was a problem on some VW's too (porous rubber on the inside of hose). My fix was to silicone this area which should work because it has no pressure. Otherwise I will replace the 3 piece hose.
Appreciate 2
tock172581.50
houtan705.50