BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Exclamation Warranty: BMW replaces free of charge 1M front fender liners (rubbing issue)

We all experienced that, also with the stock 19" rims and tires (359 M Y-spoke Competition + PS2) at recommended tire pressure, clearance between front tires and front fender liners is a close call.

Apparently some 1M owners complained about rubbing issues with the stock 270M 18" winter set-up offered by BMW (especially front right when full lock to the left): unsafe encounters between tire and line fender, too close for comfort (safety and tire longevity issue).

A German 1M forum reported that BMW apparently addressed the issue and now replaces - upon customer's request and free of charge - the front fender liners. No official product recall, though: you gotta ask for it and the dealership will take care of it (reference is made to a BMW letter, however no copy has surfaced yet). Part numbers remained unchanged:
  • front left = part# 51 71 8 051 591
  • front right = part# 51 71 8 051 592
(http://www.1erforum.de/bmw-1er-m-cou...fe-108152.html).

Name:  WheelHousing.jpg
Views: 9978
Size:  28.4 KB
(source of the diagram: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...61&hg=51&fg=70)

Maybe BMW did not change the fender liners design but rather optimized the way these are fitted inside the wheel fender (closer to the cooler, to create more wheel clearance) ? Anyways, those with replaced fender liners reported that the rubbing issue has been resolved or at least reduced.

Anyone outside Germany heard about this warranty issue and/or got the front fender liners replaced in the meantime ? BMW seems to take this matter seriously, which we all should appreciate of course.

The BMW PuMA case reference is 49636119-01. With this reference any BMW dealership can retrieve info about this issue, as reported by BMW.
("PuMA" ("Problem und Maßnahmenmanagement Aftersales" = "Problem and Measures management Aftersales") is a worldwide BMW database of all reported problems and most with the their appropriate fixes. It's BMW's online technical hotline for dealers. Info is considered to be confidential. If an issue is not reported yet, the dealer fills out a form for submittal to BMW's technical gurus and subsequently they send back a response outlining what BMW wants the dealer to do to fix the car. Sometimes it's "replace such-and-such" and sometimes they ask for more diagnostic info).

Generally speaking: re product recall, we may reasonably assume that BMW will be extra cautious: two months ago it was announced in the press that BMWNA will pay a $3 million fine to settle US government allegations that it failed to promptly notify auto regulators about safety defects and recalls. "While BMW denies that it violated federal law, it agreed to make internal changes to its recall decision-making process in order to «ensure timely reporting to consumers and the federal government in the future.»"
http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...t-reports.html
http://business.inquirer.net/44115/b...-recall-issues
http://gulfnews.com/business/automot...-fine-1.979223

Name:  Fenderliners.jpg
Views: 6174
Size:  125.7 KB
(picture source: http://www.1erforum.de/bmw-1er-m-cou...ml#post1291989)

Last edited by Artemis; 08-15-2014 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: Added diagram + PuMA case reference
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Humm... very interesting Artemis. Thanks for posting this.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
yes! thanx for bringing that up to our attention thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
Artemis
Rep

Same German 1M forum reported already since November 2011 about the fender liner issue (logical: fitting winter tires with the Winter weather approaching - first Winter season for the 1M) and replacement under warranty by BMW since February 2012:
  • http://www.1erforum.de/bmw-1er-m-cou...-67841-15.html ("Bei Verschränkung und Volleinschlag schleifen sie sogar vorne auf der Außenseite im Radkasten. Es ist alles orginal" - "Also ich hab vorne 245/35 R19 drauf und die schleifen auch" - "Also ich musste mit den linken Hinterrad auf ne Rampe fahren dann dann voll links einschlagen. Die Außenseite des vorderen rechten Rades stand dann am Plastik an. Müsst man nochma schaun ob das am verschränken lag, praktisch isses ja kein Problem, aber hinterläßt nen faden beigeschmack" - "Ich habe das Problem auch mit der Original 270M Felge und 235er original Bereifung. Das Problem habe Ich nur rechts vorne. (Ich habe aber KW V3)" - "Keine Ahnung warum der Mist anschleift, scheinbar ist auf den Winterreifen so viel mehr Profil drauf, dass das nicht mehr passt");
  • http://www.1erforum.de/bmw-1er-m-cou...ung-95010.html ("Bei starkem einschlagen des Lenkrads streift vorallem vorn rechts der Reifen die Plastikabdeckung des Radkastens");
  • http://www.1erforum.de/bmw-1er-m-cou...g-95010-3.html ("Bei meinem sind jetzt auch die Innenradhäuser erneuert worden. Da gibts wohl einen PUMA-Fall Zwecks Erneuerung der Dinger" - "gestern wurden die Radkastenabdeckungen ausgewechselt... Resultat: Reifen streift immer noch ! Wir geben ihnen wieder bescheid, mir müssen dies nochmals mit BMW CH klären. Das sollten die schon bereits seit Oktober !!").
Conclusion from the couple of German quotes: seems to be no 'stand alone' problem if you got the stock 270M 18" winter set-up offered by BMW. Cannot be a coincidence that a few members with the same 1M winter set-up experience exactly the same problem + the finding that BMW is agreeable to replace the front fender liners under warranty (free of charge) at first request.
      04-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
1MCoupe
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Coupé

I have experienced this very problem with my winter tires mounted on the 270M. Previous to the usage of the winter rims I did not experience any rubbing with the original wheel/tire set up. HOWEVER after going back to the summer tires I experience a slight rubbing. This could be due to the winter tires damaging the fender liners and thus they now have even less clearance. I will talk to my dealer and let him know that this is a general problem and that BMW has agreed to replace the liners.

Thanks for posting this Artemis!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

So... to be clear there is no improved part... just that dealers are replacing the damamge fender liner(with the same part) and installinng them to clear the tires mounted on the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MCoupe View Post
I will talk to my dealer and let him know that this is a general problem and that BMW has agreed to replace the liners.
From what I read on the German forum, most BMW dealerships don't know about this 1M issue, check their computer for upgrades and then reply that there is no known problem. Then you got to insist to request the dealership to enquire BMW. Subsequently the dealership will contact you again with the message that, indeed, according to BMW HQ instructions the front fender liners will be replaced under warranty. As indicated above, some letter of BMW HQ apparently exists addressing this issue. Emphasize that it's a safety issue - you don't want no accident (tire damage - fender liner part loosening).

"Die Innenradkästen wurden bei uns auch getauscht. Der Händler hatte uns diesbezüglich angesprochen. Jetzt schleift der Original Winterradsatz jedenfalls nicht mehr !" - "Also geht auf jedenfall über Garantie lass dir nichts erzählen. Es existiert ein Schreiben bei BMW über die Innenradkästen !" - "Mein Händler hat auch gesagt es laufe über die Garantie" - "Bei mir auch vor ca 3 Wochen Austausch auf Garantie" - "War gestern bei der 2000er Inspektion. Dabei wurden die Radläufe gewechselt" - "Da wurde mir ohne Nachfragen mitgeteilt, dass die vorderen Radhausschalen getauscht werden sollen. Info von BMW. Auf Nachfrage warum war die Antwort war in etwa.....Schleifen der Vorderräder an der Radhausschale mit eingeschlagenen Rädern beim rückwärts fahren" - "Neue Radkasten sind verbaut haben aber die gleiche Teilenummer wie die alten. Also die Räder schleifen noch ganz minim kein vergleich zu vorher aber sie schleifen".
http://www.1erforum.de/bmw-1er-m-cou...fe-108152.html

Someone reported that, regarding the front fender liners, BMW probably modified its 1M production at the Leipzig plant. This would then be the explantion for the finding that part numbers have not been changed (so more recent 1Ms might already feature the modified fender liners set-up and, hence, will not experience the issue).

"Er [dealer] hat sich das angeguckt und auch gesehen und dann im PC nachgeschaut ob es eine Serienstandsverbesserung gibt. Gab/Gib es nicht also können sie auch nix machen" - "Hat mein [dealer] auch gesagt und danach hab ich ihne gebeten sich zu informieren.... 1/2Tag später eine Anruf vom [dealer] ja es gibt auf Beanstandung seitens der Kunden austausch Radkästen! Die werden angeblich von den original Radkästen modifiziert im Werk daher evtl. keine separaten Teilenummer. [Dealer] kanns mir nur so erklären."
      04-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #8
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Anyone in the US gotten the replacements?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #9
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
Anyone in the US gotten the replacements?
go check tomorow paps!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #10
kabalm18
My car drones and I LOVE IT!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M & F10 535xi

I am glad you posted this. I was looking at the liner a couple of days ago and noticed that an area of the vent part looked to be molded to give room for the tire to squeeze in. I couldn't tell if it was shaped like that by design or if it was caused by rubbing.(I am on the stock suspension and tires.). Now I think I have the modified wheel well liner. Cool.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #11
kabalm18
My car drones and I LOVE IT!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M & F10 535xi

BTW...September build.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 04:05 AM   #12
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
From what I read on the German forum, most BMW dealerships don't know about this 1M issue, check their computer for upgrades and then reply that there is no known problem. Then you got to insist to request the dealership to enquire BMW. Subsequently the dealership will contact you again with the message that, indeed, according to BMW HQ instructions the front fender liners will be replaced under warranty. As indicated above, some letter of BMW HQ apparently exists addressing this issue. Emphasize that it's a safety issue - you don't want no accident (tire damage - fender liner part loosening).

"Die Innenradkästen wurden bei uns auch getauscht. Der Händler hatte uns diesbezüglich angesprochen. Jetzt schleift der Original Winterradsatz jedenfalls nicht mehr !" - "Also geht auf jedenfall über Garantie lass dir nichts erzählen. Es existiert ein Schreiben bei BMW über die Innenradkästen !" - "Mein Händler hat auch gesagt es laufe über die Garantie" - "Bei mir auch vor ca 3 Wochen Austausch auf Garantie" - "War gestern bei der 2000er Inspektion. Dabei wurden die Radläufe gewechselt" - "Da wurde mir ohne Nachfragen mitgeteilt, dass die vorderen Radhausschalen getauscht werden sollen. Info von BMW. Auf Nachfrage warum war die Antwort war in etwa.....Schleifen der Vorderräder an der Radhausschale mit eingeschlagenen Rädern beim rückwärts fahren" - "Neue Radkasten sind verbaut haben aber die gleiche Teilenummer wie die alten. Also die Räder schleifen noch ganz minim kein vergleich zu vorher aber sie schleifen".
http://www.1erforum.de/bmw-1er-m-cou...fe-108152.html

Someone reported that, regarding the front fender liners, BMW probably modified its 1M production at the Leipzig plant. This would then be the explantion for the finding that part numbers have not been changed (so more recent 1Ms might already feature the modified fender liners set-up and, hence, will not experience the issue).

"Er [dealer] hat sich das angeguckt und auch gesehen und dann im PC nachgeschaut ob es eine Serienstandsverbesserung gibt. Gab/Gib es nicht also können sie auch nix machen" - "Hat mein [dealer] auch gesagt und danach hab ich ihne gebeten sich zu informieren.... 1/2Tag später eine Anruf vom [dealer] ja es gibt auf Beanstandung seitens der Kunden austausch Radkästen! Die werden angeblich von den original Radkästen modifiziert im Werk daher evtl. keine separaten Teilenummer. [Dealer] kanns mir nur so erklären."
Unfortunately no indication on the new way of mounting as most report some improvement wrt the rubbing with the same new replacement wheel liner. Untill other markets have recall/warranty confirmed, this could enable those for whom it is not an issue yet to DIY.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 04:21 AM   #13
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
Unfortunately no indication on the new way of mounting as most report some improvement wrt the rubbing with the same new replacement wheel liner. Untill other markets have recall/warranty confirmed, this could enable those for whom it is not an issue yet to DIY.
Posted question on the german forum to get the new way of mounting clarified, let's see what they come back with.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 04:51 AM   #14
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 Saphire Black 1M Coupé

Thanks Artemis! I have my summer wheels back on for a week now. Had no problems with my 18" winter tyres, but when I now turn my wheel while reversing with the 19" stock setup, the right front tyre rubs.

I'll have my dealer check what the deal is.
      04-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #15
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabalm18 View Post
I am glad you posted this. I was looking at the liner a couple of days ago and noticed that an area of the vent part looked to be molded to give room for the tire to squeeze in. I couldn't tell if it was shaped like that by design or if it was caused by rubbing.(I am on the stock suspension and tires.). Now I think I have the modified wheel well liner. Cool.
Anyone with an older build able to confirm this same piece?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #16
Derek8819
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

My 1M definetly has a notch taken out for clearance, definetly OEM and not done by the tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #17
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

I saw this issue on the 1m I drove at the performance center. It rubbed the entire time I drove the car and was pretty invasive under certain conditions. They told me it was because they had different tires than stock on the front. Sounded like a hollow claim though considering these are supposed to be factory stock prepped cars. There is definitely some issue with the front right tire coming into contact with something under high load conditions or possibly large steering input. I've read others stating the same on this forum in the past.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #18
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
I saw this issue on the 1m I drove at the performance center. It rubbed the entire time I drove the car and was pretty invasive under certain conditions.
I had the same exact experience
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #19
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

My worn liners (see attached).
Attached Images

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #20
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
My worn liners (see attached).
The shape of the notches shown on the pictures is OEM and perfectly normal, though (the ones in the middle inclined = OEM). It already indicates that BMW knew that it was a close call. However, still not enough for 100% clearance for the 270 winter set-up on most 1Ms (see also the rubbing traces on the pictures). Fender liner should be "deeper" (towards cooler) to avoid any rubbing at all.
      04-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #21
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

So you mean there is an indentation already in the liners?

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #22
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
So you mean there is an indentation already in the liners?
If you're talking about deformation on the middle 3 fins then yes, that is molded in.