BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-25-2014, 01:17 PM   #23
mishimoto
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberschnell View Post
This was pointed out to me by someone on here a few years ago, but I don't think it's the end tanks that are a problem but the stock inlet and outlet couplers which bottleneck down to 2".
Yes, the couplers do bottleneck down slightly upon entry into the intercooler. You are correct in assuming this will provide a slight restriction. Our product is designed with ease of installation and factory-like appearance in mind. We had to work these features into improving performance and heat transfer. This meant replicating the factory connections instead of including couplers to mate the pipes to our intercooler.

Despite this, our testing showed a nice increase in power and a very significant reduction in AITs while maintaining near OEM pressure loss.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 11:57 PM   #24
Mit_Boost
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4xm1l10n View Post
I've ran 5" 6" and now the VRSF 7" and I don't suffer from any pressure drop. Maybe I'll experience it when the really warmer wheather gets here ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
Citation needed?
Every FMIC suffers from some pressure drop. It is known that Air/Water Intercoolers tend to suffer the least pressure drop, and then Air/Air depending on FMIC design and size. A stepped core FMIC offers a nice balance between pressure drops (closer to a 5" core) and IAT reduction (closer to a 7" core).

If you bother datalogging and comparing cars with identical mods excluding the FMIC, you'll notice that it usually takes slightly more boost to achieve similar power levels with the denser core (assuming the cores of identical construction).

Results >
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 09:59 AM   #25
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit_Boost View Post
Every FMIC suffers from some pressure drop. It is known that Air/Water Intercoolers tend to suffer the least pressure drop, and then Air/Air depending on FMIC design and size. A stepped core FMIC offers a nice balance between pressure drops (closer to a 5" core) and IAT reduction (closer to a 7" core).

If you bother datalogging and comparing cars with identical mods excluding the FMIC, you'll notice that it usually takes slightly more boost to achieve similar power levels with the denser core (assuming the cores of identical construction).
It's still an unsubstantiated claim. Where are the data logs exactly? How can you be sure power is exactly equal?

The amount of good data out there for such a comparison is practically non-existant. Besides CP-E's intercooler test whitepaper and the test in OP of this thread I've seen jack squat. Neither of them support the claim I was replying to.
      04-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #26
Mit_Boost
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
It's still an unsubstantiated claim. Where are the data logs exactly? How can you be sure power is exactly equal?

The amount of good data out there for such a comparison is practically non-existant. Besides CP-E's intercooler test whitepaper and the test in OP of this thread I've seen jack squat. Neither of them support the claim I was replying to.
There's an old thread regarding the Helix with tons of data on E90, if I put the effort into finding it i'll post it up. Here's some IAT suppression data:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management View Post
Heres some data...

This is an independant boost log from Sniz using a Helix FMIC and Vishnu V3 in FAHRENHEIT-this is a 2nd thru 4th gear run as you can see temps start at 100 degrees F drop down as the car starts getting ambient air through the core and at the end of 4th gear the Ait is only 110 degrees F

Heres a code 3 datalog in CELSIUS from this thread.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=code+fmic

Temps rise from 46(114f) degrees C to 59(139f) degrees C in 2-4 gear, ambient temp was 65 degrees F(18C)

Results >
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #27
Mit_Boost
Captain
Germany
Rep

Here's some more data from an independent member, still trying to find the thread though (it was a Helix vendor thread for what it's worth):

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management View Post
I just want to open peoples eyes as to the realities of the FMIC landscape and things to look for in regards to real data vs marketing hype... Interestingly enough i use a very good turbo outlet temp calculator that also generates a FMIC efficiency using data that is provided in this thread that answers your ?'s about starting and ending temps.

http://www.stealth316.com/2-turbotemp.htm

using this calculator with the provided data we can see how efficient each unit is in a real world situation and is all based in Physics Law(an exact science). heres the data i got using the calculator, feel free to try it yourself its actually very eye opening. When designing a FMIC I use this during prototyping to determine the best balance of internal fin density and charge row/ambient row height as we don't use an "off the shelf" core!

Turbo Outlet Temp Calculator

inlet temperature-(use the ambient temperature to standardize the test)

input pressure-14.5(atmospheric pressure this does not change unless you are at altitude)

output pressure-(this is the boost pressure seen prior to the fmic, add pressure drop plus datalogged pressure for this #)

compressor efficiency-70%(this can be found by mapping the #'s on a compressor map OR to datalog intercooler inlet temps, lets use 70% to standardize the testing as all are running similar boost levels)

Outlet Temp- (this is the temperature leaving the turbo and entering the FMIC)

Intercooler Outlet Temperature and Pressure Calculator

IC input Temperature-(this is the Outlet Temp from the previous calculation)

IC Efficiency-(This is the how efficient the FMIC is in this test, it is also the factor you play with to try and match up to the known plenum temp(ending datalogged ait at the end of the run))

IC Pressure loss-.5 (this is the pressure drop through the core, lets use .5 psi to standardize the test)

Ambient Temp-(this is the ambient temp and also the turbo inlet temp)

Plenum Temp-(this is the datalogged ait temp at the end of the 2-3-4 gear run)

now lets crunch the #'s...

HELIX-Intercooler Efficiency 86% through 3 gears
inlet temperature-85
input pressure-14.5
output pressure-14
compressor efficiency-70%
Outlet Temp- 249

IC input Temperature-249
IC Pressure loss-.5
Ambient Temp-85
Plenum Temp-108
IC Efficiency-86%

AMS-Intercooler Efficiency 79% through 3 gears
inlet temperature-58
input pressure-14.5
output pressure-14
Outlet Temp- 214

IC input Temperature-214
IC Pressure loss-.5
Ambient Temp-58
Plenum Temp-112
IC Efficiency-79%

ETS-Intercooler Efficiency 78% through 3 gears
inlet temperature-58
input pressure-14.5
output pressure-14.5
Outlet Temp- 213

IC input Temperature-213
IC Pressure loss-.5
Ambient Temp-58
Plenum Temp-93
IC Efficiency-78%

SPEARCO/Code 3-Intercooler Efficiency 54% through 3 gears
inlet temperature-65
input pressure-14.5
output pressure-14
Outlet Temp- 223

IC input Temperature-223
IC Pressure loss-.5
Ambient Temp-65
Plenum Temp-139
IC Efficiency-54%

What this data shows is the efficency and also the FMICs ability to thwart heatsoak through 2-3-4 gears, you can also get single gear efficiencies using the data provided

Results >
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 01:39 PM   #28
Gneiss
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Sorry to revive an old thread but I do not see this topic elsewhere.

In the Mishimoto installation video they instruct you to disconnect the battery before installation. Is this really necessary? I did not think there was much electrical danger involved in installing a FMIC.
Appreciate 0