BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
Bitterm3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: White.Coral 135i

Probably one of the worst dealership experiences..

So the other day i had my 135i in for some recall work on the passenger seatbelt, for my steering wheel peeling, and because the air conditioner went out for the 4th time! I was pissed to begin with before I even got there.

I brought the car in on tuesday last week, was told it would be done tomorrow, theyd call me. Dealer calls the next day says it wont be ready till thursday. Dealer calls thursday says that the cars ready, only to call back again 30 mins later saying the evap in the A/C was actually leaking and needed to be replaced. This is the second time I have had that replaced. Dealer says the car will be ready friday.

Than, to top every thing off, dealer calls me Friday, tells me that their service tech who was working on my car FELL OVER and cracked my windshield with a tool that was in his hand. Car wont be back till monday or tuesday. Itll be over a week in service for something they told me would be a day. I could not be more unhappy at the moment.

The thought of my A/C going out 4 times, the dealer having to rip out my dash at least 5 or 6 times, is driving me crazy. The poor service is not helping. I love my car to death but im scared at the moment of future reliability issues. Anything thoughts, comments or concerns?

BTW, dealer is BMW N. Scottsdale.

Last edited by Bitterm3; 09-12-2010 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: title error
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
SDSmurf
Private
Rep
Drives: Subaru WRX

Check your mileage and tyre condition, someone wants your car for the weekend......
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
They gave you a loaner I presume?
      09-12-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
Orangerec
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, Sport, 6MT

Wow, that sucks. I thought BMW N. Scottsdale was Penske owned and even heard they have great service. I'm in Chandler and was thinking of going all the way up there, but gave BMW Chandler a try. My service rep was Matt and he did my belt recall and steering wheel also. They were great with communication and didn't run the car through the wash when asked.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 04:36 PM   #5
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
HAHAHHAHA... When I complain about my car everyone comes after me but Im not laughing at u... Just the fact that I have gone through all the same types of problems with the car/dealer.... Im sorry man all I can say is do what Im doing and extend the warranty... Its going to cost me like $2500... The funny thing was though, I went down to Lexus and they had a lease on a is250 well loaded $2500 down, $300 a month....

My car drives GREAT!!! But every other thing had FAILED with the CAR/ DEALER/ BMW NA....

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #6
Lowest_Frequency
Audiophile
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 GT500

Being in AZ myself, I will remember this thread...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 05:04 PM   #7
Frustration
enter macho title here...
Rep
Drives: X3 / 335cp / 135 vert-135vert2

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=426338

Honestly it sounds like they're communicating pretty well and turning the vehicle around in a reasonable amount of time.

The tough part is really down to the car. At some point if you've fixed the same part several times and or had multiple failures early, AZ has a pretty reasonable lemon law for new cars

Arizona Lemon Law 44-1263 Inability to conform motor vehicle to express warranty.

Replacement of vehicle or refund of monies; affirmative defenses.

----------the dealers inability to comform a new vehicle here are (among other things)

1. The same nonconformity has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer or its agents or authorized dealers during the shorter of the express warranty term or the period of two years or twenty-four thousand miles following the date of original delivery of the motor vehicle to the consumer, whichever is earlier, but the nonconformity continues to exist.

2. The motor vehicle is out of service by reason of repair for a cumulative total of thirty or more calendar days during the shorter of the express warranty term or the two year period or twenty-four thousand miles, whichever is earlier.

full text is here:
http://www.carlemon.com/lemon/AZ_law.html

A guy regarded as among the best in the biz in AZ is Hyong Choi. he's in Tempe.

But I would speak to the sales staff first... I would put no faith what so ever in their recently appointed sales manager. In fact I waste time speaking to him at all. I would talk to your sales person and or speak directly to Bob Dombrowski.

Last edited by Frustration; 09-12-2010 at 05:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 05:38 PM   #8
sb335is
Captain
Rep
Drives: fast

at least they didn't cause 30k in damage to your m5 and not paying for it like that poor bloke in TX
      09-12-2010, 06:03 PM   #9
JeepPunk
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustration View Post
I would talk to your sales person and or speak directly to Bob Dombrowski.
I have had issues with our 135i, but the service department at North Scottsdale has been great. Even had our dash removed for a new A/C Evaporator.

Frustration is correct, contact Bob Dombrowski and let him know your concerns.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 09:56 PM   #10
Bitterm3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the feedback. The dealership has usually been great with service, I don't know what happened this time around. They have communicated well however. The extended warranty might not be a bad idea. The whole thing is just frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 10:05 PM   #11
Frustration
enter macho title here...
Rep
Drives: X3 / 335cp / 135 vert-135vert2

I feel you... It takes a lot to not put the car trouble on the folks fixing it.

If you really are back multiple times with the exact same problem though, I did speak with BMW this last time round and they very plainly said that in the case the car has had 3 repairs of the same item they will absolutly work on options with the owner...

I would also call BMW NA and see if they can help... You simply should not have to deal with multiple fixes of the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 10:13 PM   #12
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustration View Post
I feel you... It takes a lot to not put the car trouble on the folks fixing it.

If you really are back multiple times with the exact same problem though, I did speak with BMW this last time round and they very plainly said that in the case the car has had 3 repairs of the same item they will absolutly work on options with the owner...

I would also call BMW NA and see if they can help... You simply should not have to deal with multiple fixes of the same problem.
I have had a ton of problems with a 5 month old car and I have spoke to an attorney about the car. It would be to much work and money to fight the dealer... The Dealer and BMW Na is Useless...

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 10:14 PM   #13
Itanius
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitterm3 View Post
Anything thoughts, comments or concerns?
BTW, dealer is BMW N. Scottsdale.
Sorry to hear about your experience up there.

Switch to Chapman BMW on Camelback. I've had nothing but excellent service there. Patrick is my SA, and he's been taking care of me.
      09-13-2010, 01:06 PM   #14
Bitterm3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yeah I had my BMW short shift kit installed at Chapman. great service, its just really far. I will be speaking with Bob, once I finally get a call saying my car is ready.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 01:11 PM   #15
TMR013
Opus Angelus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2 Coupe

Have used both N. Scottsdale (where I bought) and Chapman in Tempe. Honestly have not really had a bad experience with either, but I do feel that I'm treated better at N. Scottsdale. Just seems to be a more professional outfit there. Surprised by your bad experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #16
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

sorry dude to hear that

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 02:38 PM   #17
dragon1761
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i SGM 08; 328i AW 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSmurf View Post
Check your mileage and tyre condition, someone wants your car for the weekend......

when you take your car in for service they write down the mileage and actually give you a copy of the sheet before you leave.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 03:00 PM   #18
nobbyv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
I have had a ton of problems with a 5 month old car and I have spoke to an attorney about the car. It would be to much work and money to fight the dealer... The Dealer and BMW Na is Useless...
I don't understand. Florida has a clear Lemon Law that applies to three occurences of the same defect. Why would it be "to (sic) much work"?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 08:23 PM   #19
Arizona_Steve
Driving 'Mr Car Car'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW BMW M2

The OP is concerning, especially since I took my car in this afternoon to the exact same dealer with air conditioning issues. I hope that was just a one-off.
      09-25-2010, 08:33 PM   #20
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Reminds ms of the time when my dealer took my car in and the tech that was working on my car went on vacation for a week and left my car sitting half torn apart in the service bay

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #21
MITE82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6AT BSM

Man that sucks ... I know for me i'm super picky about who get to work on my car even at the BMW dealership ... I drive about an hour and a half to get my car work on at a dealer that I trust and know most the Tech and SA well... there's like two other dealer that i can go to within an hour drive but choose not to ... sometimes it's not what u know what who u know that make a difference
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 07:50 PM   #22
AZ135
REALTOR
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Jag XF Supercharged

I've always had a good experience at N. Scottsdale. The only thing I don't like about it is paying $10/day for a Pontiac Grand Am, when Chapman BMW will give me a 1 or 3 series loaner free of charge.

That being said, I had a horrible experience with Chapman BMW on Ray Rd last year around the holidays. I had a bad fuel pump that I had taken the car in for a few weeks earlier, but they didn't fix. On my way to California to visit family for Christmas, the HPFP gave out 100 miles into the desert. I drove it back to Chapman and they gave me a rental car from Hertz because their cars can't leave the state. Great. So, I'm in California (SF Bay Area) and get a call saying that my car is ready and they need the rental car back (2 days before Christmas) or they were going to stick me with a $400 rental car bill. Long story short, after failed attempts at trying to remedy the situation pleasantly, I had to threaten to take the GM of the dealership to small claims court. Once I did that, the heckling magically stopped and the rental car bill was never mentioned again, except to assure me that they'd be picking it up.

More recently, I took my car to Chapman because the brake pad sensors were rubbing. I dropped the car off on a Friday and when I went in on Monday to pick the car up, I was very pleasantly surprised that they had also replaced all four brake pads for me. I was very impressed.

My point is that there will always be good and bad experiences at dealerships. They can't please you 100% of the time. Just make sure to find one that can please you 90% of the time and deal with the problems when they arise.
Appreciate 0