E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > When did you realise BMW was for u???

10-16-2005, 05:23 AM   #1
NPinUK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i M Sport

When did you realise BMW was for u???

I thought I start this thread to see how you guys and gals got into likening/loving/buying/ordering your BMWs and even if you dont have one how/why did you become a fan??

Personally I got into knowing about BMW when I was around 7years old (i'm early 20s now) . It was whilst at school, looking into the staff car park that I used to notice all the teachers cars. They were old or small with boring shapes and non of them really had that sparkle. One gloomy day looking into the car park I saw this awesome car pull right in. It looked fantastic with its shiny black exteior, alloys and most of all its Shape. It looked so muscular compared to the other cars and dominated the car park. To add to that the man to get out was my HEADMASTER. He was a very cool bloke, friendly and always had respect for us kids. The whole package just hit me. It was a black e36. Ever since i have never looked back. Lucky for me my father bought one few years later (he loves the bmw driving experience) , then a E46 which he still drives therefore i had the privilege to drive them. Over the last few years I have drove quite a few cars but still nothing compares to the BMWs handling and style and most of all the shape which iis in its own class. I also love the 5,6, 7 and x5 but not huge fan of x3

Come and share your story/s

Last edited by NPinUK; 10-16-2005 at 08:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2005, 06:15 AM   #2
E36_325i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 325i + '06 M3

I have always been a fan of the 3 series BMW's. When I was about 15, I knew very little about the model lineups other than the 3 Series body style. I couldnt even tell you what the difference in the numbers were on the different 3ers. One day I went to Soldier Field in chicago for a Bears game and we were outside tailgaiting and I saw a Yellow E36 (didnt know what e36 was back then) and went to go look at the back bumper for the model. I was baffled when I saw it said ///M3. I had never seen this before and even thought it was a fake BMW. I did some research to find out waht ///M really meant. While in college I bought my first E36 325i and have been hooked ever since. I'm quite sure I can never be satisfied with another brand of car other than a BMW. I'm looking forward to the e90. I wont give up the E36 though, it's been way too good to me and the e90, even w/ all of its gadgets and the driving experience, will never compare to the feel of an E36 on the road IMHO.
      10-16-2005, 06:27 AM   #3
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
In my childhood years, my favourite car was a Toyota Corolla... Of the cars I was exposed to, the Toyota Corolla caught my attention, and I told myself that it would be my first car. I still like the Corolla's of the 80's .

However, in the early 90's I moved to the city (Durban), where I started seeing a lot of other cars (Merc, BMW, etc). I din't care so much about BMW, but one day I saw one particular BMW that stuck in my mind.... I would see other BMW's but they were not the same as that one particuar one I saw..... I got really fascinated about that, while also confused about the differences .

From then, I began looking closely on the details of each BMW I saw on the road.... I then found out what was different with that one particular BMW.... the bumpers and the stance were very aggressive, and that's how I got hooked on BMW.... oh that particular BMW was the E36 BMW M3.

From then, there was no looking back.... I set myself a goal to get a BMW as my first car..... I later learnt how expensive BMWs are... ah well, I couldn't get an M3 as my first car ... my first car was an M3 look-alike (1995 E36 318i Sport)....I loved that car, and I still hate myself for selling it. What re-inforced my love for BMW was the fact that everytime I drove any other make of car, I would feel a big difference that I could not explain... it was like other cars had something missing, but I couldn't point out what was it exactly.... To be fair though, the comparison was with family cars, and not sports-oriented cars...... oh, and I love speed (responsibly though), so the other family cars frustrated me because I didn't feel the connection to the road that I felt on my E36.

I then bought an E46 320i... now an E90... a new M3 is still elusive for my budget
E90 330i 6MT|Space Grey|Red Brown|Alumin|Sunroof|Voice Control|Logic 7|Xenon|Prof-Navigation|Storage Pack|Luggage Pack|Extended Lights|Anti-dazzle Folding Mirrors|Climate Comf. w/screen|M-Sport Pack|Exclusive Pack|Innovations Pack|Alumin Pedals|CF Splitters|Delivered:19 March 2010
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2005, 06:31 AM   #4
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I was about to buy a G35 coupe, then I decided to drop by a BMW dealer first and test drive a E46 330ci with performance package. Turns out no dealership within the area had one in stock, so I test drove the e90 instead. 30 seconds after I got behind the wheel of one, the addiction began. Now here I am, on this board, the BMW Anonymous forum, supporting my fellow addicts with our obsession towards the euphoria you feel when you hold that steering wheel in your hands. Now I just need to find a girl that will make me feel the same way. Any hot ladies here?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2005, 07:54 AM   #5
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

early-mid '80s for me but i was a one eyed bme fan once the e36 was released. i was sold - or should i say one e36 320i was sold...to me in 1992.

from that day, it is 1 new 3 series for me at each new model release.

e36 from 1992 -1998
e46 323 1998 - 2005
e90 325 2005 - 20??

but lets enjoy the e90 till then, the best 3 series.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2005, 08:31 AM   #6
NPinUK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i M Sport

Its nice to hear what you all think but it seems the E36 started the business for most of us.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2005, 08:32 AM   #7
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I had never driven a BMW. Always thought BMW owners - especially 3 Series were asses (gelled hair, etc.). When I saw the new 3 in the showroom and test drove it, I was hooked.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2005, 08:43 AM   #8
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

1602 ti. The only thing close at the time was the Datsun (Nissan) 510. For $1450 I got the fastest 1600cc class dragster at my high school, and made enough to buy a set of Pirelli 36s before everyone wised up to how quick it was. Sunroof, lots of space to fit your friends in, fast, supreme handling in a drift, whether on the street or off. Same thing pretty much holds for used bimmers today, except the price tag is well beyond the means of a part-time teenage job.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2005, 09:11 AM   #9
Robbie!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325I

Finished an open house way out in the east end where I almost never go. and on the way home stopped to look at Audis. I just left the Audi dealer (was considering a 2005 A4 1.8 or a 2006 A4 2.0 both quattro,) stopped by a bmw dealer that happened to be near the BMW Canada head office. I asked about a 2005 Excecutive edition 325ix with manual and they had none left. I asked the salesperson about the 2006( which I had not even seen a pic or read about) and he said they had a bunch in a locked compound waiting for the introduction about 1 month away. He took me into a secure area and showed me the cars, it was then I knew what I wanted. Saw a 325 with Sport and that sealed the deal. I ended up buying the car from another dealer (the 1st dealer couldnt match the deal) without a test drive or anything. Actually I didnt think the 325 would be a good driving car. Boy was I surprised when I drove my car out of the dealership. My father has a 2003 325 cabrio without sport, and I dont like the way it drives, its not exciting at all actually quite boring, that is what I was expecting with my E-90 and WOW! What a pleasant surprise. Had my car for 5 months now and I LOVE IT!
      10-16-2005, 09:49 AM   #10
SilverE90Sport
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Well since you asked...
About 10 years ago I used to date a girl who owned a 95 325is. She had this thing about gettin' freaky in the car. Since then, everytime I look at a BMW I get this warm fuzzy feeling inside.
Seriously, they are great cars. My dad owned several (535is, 735i, 740i, X5, and 745li), and I always wanted one. Now mine is en route!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2005, 10:01 AM   #11
dmg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bimmer

It had me at hello
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2005, 10:34 AM   #12
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

My love of BMW has a long history.

My english teacher had an E30. She was an ex fashion model and was the epitome of style, all the guys lusted after her. Needless to say English was my best subject that year.

It was the E36 that really started to do it for me though (I was still a teenage lad then). I thought the car was perfect in every aspect of its design when it was released. I ended up getting a Honda Civic coupe many years later because it had a similar rear end.

Then there was the E46. A good friend got one when I got my Audi (I got the Audi because I couldn't afford the BMW I wanted at that time). We used to rib each other about our cars for a bit of fun, but secretly when I was in his car I would notice how much nicer it was and how much better it handled and rode. Not that I would ever tell him that.

Then 2 years ago, I was on holiday at Surfers Paradise (Queensland, Australia) and hired a Z4 2.5 for a day and drove it around the Tambourine mountains. I can still feel the steering wheel in my hands, it was an awsome experience. I loved the styling as well as the handling, and it felt really solid and well made. The other thing was the wonderful acceleration even though it was a Steptronic.

I was initially a bit underwhelmed by the E90, didn't immediately like the styling, it was a bit too conservative for me. Then I went to a Funds Management conference in Brisbane that sponsored by Brisbane BMW. They had one (sparking graphite) parked in the hall where we had coffee breaks so I got to see it for a 3 days solid and it grew on me.

Fast forward to September 2005, it was time to order my new company car in order to get it before it needed to be replaced (Christmas time for me). I had it in my mind that I was going to get an A4 2.0T quattro. Had test driven it and worked out what options I was going to get. At the last moment I decided to cross shop and was blown away by the value of the BMW, and the test drive settled the matter once and for all it was far superior to the A4 TQ I drove, and more modern... from that day I was gone hook, line, and sinker!
      10-16-2005, 10:57 AM   #13
icedragon
guardian of ice and snow
Rep
Drives: 128i, 325i

Garage List
06 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
I had never driven a BMW. Always thought BMW owners - especially 3 Series were asses (gelled hair, etc.). When I saw the new 3 in the showroom and test drove it, I was hooked.
I also didn't use to like BMWs. In fact, I HATED them! I test drove a few, and the handling was great, but I just couldn't get past the looks. Past BMW designs were just so boxy and rather uninspiring. I actually loved Audi, because they seemed rounder and more modern. And then came the Bangle era. When the Z4 came out, I thought that was ok. Then the new "not-designed-by-Bangle" 5 and 6 series came out and I loved those. However, they were too big for my taste. Then when the E90 came out, with its rounder front and more modern interior, I was hooked!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2005, 10:58 AM   #14
ssam
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: carefully

Was considering buying an Audi a3 or a4 2.0T with the new FSI engine (which is SOMETHING)

The bmw dealer was next to the audi dealer....so I just stopped to confirm that I really wanted an audi.....and then I saw the new E90....completly felt in love at first sight....then came the test drive and after 5mn it was like byebye Audi and the beginning of a bmw addiction....

Saying that I have to admit that at LOW REV the 2.0 TFSI of the new audi is quicker than my 325i which has to be pushed more at hight rev to feel the power and they also have this unique DSG automatic transmission .......(like you see i still like audi but i do prefer bmw)
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2005, 11:28 AM   #15
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I was in love with the 3 series since high school (87-91), but could not get one for financial reasons. Drove a Toyota, then a Nissan, etc. But now that I could afford a nicer ride...I went back to BMW. I was looking at Infinity and Audi....but that thirst for BMW just could not be denied!!!!!!! :rocks:
      10-16-2005, 11:36 AM   #16
BMRAMA
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90

Garage List
My grandfather owned a late 1970's 5 series. Honestly I remember nothing of the ride, but I still know the smell. Something about the leather seats, sheepskin seat covers, and petrol. (lol, I don't know why it had a faint hint of fuel/oil smell.)

I think it was the smell that got me at first. My grandparents bought an 1989 525i, and not only did it have almost the same smell, but I got to drive it. It was slow, definitely, but balanced and a world of difference from my Honda.

It's definitely those two cars that got me hooked. My Mom owned a 1600, and my Aunt a 320e, but it was my grandparents 5's that tattooed on my heart "BMW."

When I was shopping for my first new car, 2 weeks ago, I visited Audi and Lexus, but the decision was already made. It was just a political visit (my Mom's a lexus driver). My bimmer is being built and I'm counting the hours until delivery. It is a very special car indeed.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2005, 12:07 PM   #17
connermd
What did I miss?
United_States
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

I never really liked BMW's....I always thought the folks who drove them were mostly into driving status cars. When I decided it was time to trade in my reliable, 9 year old Toyota Camry I had a list of ~6 cars to drive. Just for completeness I tacked the 3 series onto the bottom of my list. I test drove most of the 3 series competitors (G35, IS300, Acura TL, ….) and after several trips to the BMW dealership (and no test drive) I almost crossed it off the list (my husband and friends encouraged me to). I kept telling my husband “Don't worry I won't buy a BMW...but I have to test drive one just to try out all the options”. Finally after weeks of waiting, I got behind the wheel of a '06 325i....then a '05 330ci..then a '06 330i. I was sold....I had no idea how fun these cars were to drive! I was so wrong about BMW’s (and some of the owners). I fell completely in love and less than 10 days later I was the happy owner of a new E90 (see sig for details). My husband is a convert also….we are now BMW enthusiasts and love the car. After looking back at my past car ownership history I wonder how I could have possibly drive a 4 cyl. Camry for so many years when there was such fun out there waiting to be had??? Duh! I missed out on so much fun!!!
      10-16-2005, 12:19 PM   #18
Oz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2004 X5

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
My family bought an 2003 X5 and I was immediately hooked. I loved BMW but I was never a fan of SUVs. Last year, I got a 2005 325xi as a loaner when we gave the X5 in for service. After driving that for 2 days, I was immediately hooked. I was looking into buying a new car this summer and E90 immediately caught my eye. Now I don't see myself driving anything else
      10-16-2005, 05:02 PM   #19
romeo26
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e30 325 (no lette)

when i first snuck out the bmw for a joy ride when i was 14
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2005, 05:56 PM   #20
Thumpzilla
Private
Rep
Drives: 330xi/06/Loaded!!

When My wife told me she wouldn't drive my 1995 maxima with 150k miles, tinted windows and even the fin on the back! 330xi at VPC
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2005, 07:07 PM   #21
theclay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
When I was in high school I drove my grandma's old Datsun 310GX. After turning in some poor grades my mom saw fit to cancel my driving privileges until the next progress reports. That's when I hooked up with "Sally" (names have been changed). She was a spoiled girl from the hills of Orinda Ca. and she drove a BMW. I can't remember what model but it was cream colored. She picked me up every day and let me drive (among other things she would let me do). I loved that car.
Once I got my grades up and was able to drive my car again, I dumped her. I'll always have fond memories of those three months though.
      10-16-2005, 07:54 PM   #22
Driv3r
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Exclamation MUST READ!

I REEEALY have to share this story, but i will make it as short as possible....I originally was in the market for a TL in manual because i really was impressed on the test drive, But, my brother owns a 2005 performance pkg coupe in manual, and recently his tires were basically bald. So he got himself a new pair (only the back was worn out ) and the day before he was going to mount them he tells me to come with him to this enormous parking lot where the MazdaSpeedChallenge is held.(also it was pouring so its easier to get loose) we go and he tells me to take turns because he wants me to feel what he feels. so his turn was up and my turn came. As i lifted off the throttle and feather the clutch,no launching or anything, i feel the wheels loosing control (the tires threads were appearing!). Anyways, i take it out and immediatly can really "FeeeeeL" the cars balance and weight, not even comparable to the TL anyways i pull some J Turns both backwards and forwards, and then initiate some drifts. All of this seems childish but come on this is the most fun anyone can have! i realize the difference in the cars. and now instead of purchasing a TL im gong straight to a 325i because honestly im not going to go drifting or pull maneuvers everwhere i go but i really want something that handles well. Im not basing the acura just on handling, its a beautiful car, but not for me i need a
Appreciate 0