BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-19-2009, 01:22 AM   #1
OverBoostinBimmers
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i 09 135i

Exclamation ***WARNING ~ Before purchasing SEIBON***

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up. I purchased SEIBONs GTR Hood and OEM style trunk lid, both Carbon Fiber. After unpacking them, i started adding the hardware. Hood latch, trunk lock, etc. When i went to mount both pieces, i found the holes for the (4) mount points to be way to small for the stock bolts in both the hood and trunk. I ended up having to tap them all out.

Not a big deal if you have the tools and if you are expecting to do the work. Something that is suppose to mount right up with NO modification, and then have to go through this, is just a little frustrating. So, HEADs UP!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 01:38 AM   #2
SLO
Shane
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, RRS, LR4

Can you comment about the fitment other than the small holes? How is the gapping?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 01:53 AM   #3
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
Weird, I just put on my Seibon OEM style CF hood this week and I didn't have any problem with the stock hardware mounting up.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 02:03 AM   #4
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
Can you comment about the fitment other than the small holes? How is the gapping?
For me the gaps on the sides and front to back are fine, but it does sit a little high. I'd said it's maybe a 1/4" above the fender and it's more noticable on the passenger side. It's really not that noticeable when just looking at it though.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.

Last edited by Dangerlucas; 04-19-2009 at 04:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 03:22 AM   #5
OverBoostinBimmers
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i 09 135i

I will include pictures of fitment tomorrow. It was getting pretty dark by the time i got finished with the install. Would have takin pix if i didn't have to drill n tap Plus i'm pretty sure they need adjusting.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 05:54 AM   #6
SLO
Shane
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, RRS, LR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerlucas View Post
For me the gaps on the sides and front to back are fine, but it does sit a little high. I'd said it's maybe a 1/4" above the fender and it's more noticable on the passenger side. It's really not that noticeable when just looking at it though.
Is there any adjustment in height that you can make to get it to match up better?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 02:35 PM   #7
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
Well we were able to bring it down some by adjusting the latch, but there really isn't any more down we can get. I can adjust it up with those rubber stops, but that doesn't do me any good.

All and all it's really not that bad. I'll try to grab a pic or two to show what I'm talking about.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 05:00 PM   #8
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
Some new pics posted here http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252470

They should give you a good idea of how the fit is slightly off.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 04:42 PM   #9
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

nice info to know
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 05:09 PM   #10
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Seibon isn't exactly know for their quality so I can't say this is a surprise.

Seibon is to cf hoods as Rota is to wheels. They copy other peoples designs. Basically a "knock off" company.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 05:13 PM   #11
arok
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335i M-Sport

wait, i thought that was VIS racing? from what I've seen in person or not, Seibon products have been great
      04-24-2009, 05:15 PM   #12
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by arok View Post
wait, i thought that was VIS racing? from what I've seen in person or not, Seibon products have been great
I'll look into it real quick, maybe I have them confused with some one else but I don't think so.

Edit: http://www.bespokeventures.com/blog/...of-innovation/

Also this topic recently came up again on Evom (Evo Board) because the Endless Evo X showed up with a seibon sticker on the hood and people were pissed at endless for supporting a "knock off" company.

Back story on the Evo X

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivelineSales View Post
Hot off the press... By Mr. Domstat (For those who don't personally know him)

First things first, I DON’T look at Speed****ers. That would be a waste of time. Why? Because it’s owned by an entity which hopes to “increase its legitimacy” by paying people to blog/take pictures for them. They say it’s for the love of motorsports and all-things-cars when really it’s about ultimately increasing the money in their pockets.

But in any case, the picture above was first shown to me by Kent, and then by BH, and then by a whole list of other people. It’s a picture of the Endless Super Taikyu EVO and yes, that is a ginormous SEIBON sticker on it.

Yes, the same SEIBON that’s based out of Walnut, California.

Yes, the very same SEIBON that is incapable of producing anything original or of quality.

But I had no explanation for the presence of the sticker and, like you, I was upset. Luckily, someone from Endless Japan literally just got into town for this weekends ALMS race and I took the opportunity to ask him about it. So, if you’ll be so kind, I shall explain…

In Super Taikyu (the Japanese endurance race series for the noobs out there), the CT9A is still outperforming the CZ4A. This is, of course, not good for Mitsubishi nor Endless Japan since they campaign the CZ4A. One demerit to the CZ4A is that it weighs about 100kilos more than the CT9A. So when Rays, who is selling Seibon to the Japanese market, offered carbon doors to E. Japan for a stuuuuuuuuuuuuupid cheap price (hence the stupid huge sticker), E. Japan took it. Without so much as a peep from me, our guy from E. Japan then said the doors are poor quality and that they’d rather have dry carbon ones, but they’re just doors and they really had no other makers to choose from. Those doors are the only thing SEIBON on the car. The rest of the aero that actually matters is Ings.

So, there you have it. Pressure from Mitsubishi to get the EVO 10 performance above that of the EVO 8/9 and a stupid crazy cheap deal.

In the end, I blame the whole thing on Rays because it’s their fault for doing the whole “SEIBON TE37″ collabo and selling SEIBON in Japan. Just kidding. Well, maybe not..
Appreciate 0