BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-23-2008, 03:13 PM   #1
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: women crazy

128i vs 135i Slim price difference....

Im looking to purchase either a 128i or 135i within the next few months....

If i select the 128i and add the Sports Package & Aero Kit, the MSRP goes up to about 33K....

If i get the 135i the Sports Package (i think) & Aero kit come standard and that MSRP is about 36K....

My question is aside from the Engine does the 135i come with anything else (standard) that the 128i doesnt in order to make up that 3K price difference? or are you just paying 3K extra for the engine?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
LittleVik
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Black/Black

Well, I mean I am sure you have the MSRP and the Invoice numbers in front of you. I guess the aero kit is pretty expensive, I don't have the price sheets anymore. When I was purchasing my 128i vs 135i, I think there was like a 5k or 6k price difference between the two, but I didn't get the sport or aero. Now, 6k isn't a lot on a 30k+ car, but with my trade in and everything, the price I would have to pay to upgrade to the 128i was 11k (vs 17k for the 135i), and I figured that an extra 6k wasn't really worth it, since it was almost a 50% increase in cost...

That said, I'm not a high speed kind of person, so I really didn't need the 135i power, the sports package, and I don't like the aero look. To me, 11k vs 17k was a pretty big difference in how much I would really have to pay, especially for things I didn't really need. It also meant that I got to keep some money in the bank, and have it around to put into stocks at what seems like a low point in market (ha, or not).

Also, I've owned the car for 2 weeks now, and I have to say, I feel no remorse going with the 128i. I feel that the car has ample ample power. In fact, I feel it has way more than I need (coming from a 330xi), I can totally do scary things in it. I cringe to think what the 135i would have me doing, I feel I'm way too fast and aggressive already... :-D Definitely no regrets, but I have no plans to race on a track or go more than 10 mph above the speed limit (2 tickets is enough for now). And for passing people, this thing is way more than I need.

That said, I'm like an old man compared to most people my age (28) in how I drive... To me, the biggest satisfying factor when I look at the vehicle is to know what I paid, and what I actually use in terms of features and ability. So I guess I look at the car and am extremely happy with the price and value I feel it has. I know that if I had the 135i, since I don't really go fast or anything and it doesn't fit my personality, I would be asking myself why did I spend an extra 6k for things I don't need. I know at that point I'd talk myself into a 328xi because I feel there is more value at that price of having 4 doors, larger size, all wheel drive, and probably easier resale (larger sedan vs sports vehicle).

Just some food for thought. In the end, if you want something with uncompromised performance, get the 135i over the 128i, otherwise you might have some regrets, knowing that there is another model out there that has way more HP. Or, if you just want to get a car that is comfy, looks great, and kicks ass for a normal commute to work, the 128i will blow your mind.

I look forward to driving to work these days. You will to with either one.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
G5Ti
Purveyor of fine roads.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i

The aero kit is not standard on the 135. The 135 does, however, have a different front bumper/airdam, slightly different side skirts and a different rear bumber/diffuser from the 128.

The aero kit changes the front bumper and side skirts for the 135, and adds the 135-style bumper to the back-end of the 128.

The 135 has 6-piston calipers and bigger brakes; 18" wheels and tires; xenon headlights; and, with the sport package, a nicer steering wheel and shift knob.

However, the difference usually ends up being a bit more than $3k different between comparably equipped 128 and 135 models.
      11-23-2008, 03:47 PM   #4
LittleVik
Banned
United_States
Rep

I agree with above. Check the price sheets, its more like 5k or 6k when comparably equiped. But, maybe you don't need the aero for the 135i so that might bring it closer, as the body styling of the 135i might pretty much look as good to you as the 128i with the extra option... Freebie!

Also, when you start going high end, I feel at that point, it becomes easier to justify adding other extras. Like once at 135, might as well go for the red leather... premium... nicer rims... :-D Where does it end??!! So you have to look at your "actual" numbers in the end, because you might want more things for your dream 135i.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 03:53 PM   #5
1HungryMan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

The dirty little secret of this board is that the 128i is more than adequate for most people.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 03:58 PM   #6
LittleVik
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HungryMan View Post
The dirty little secret of this board is that the 128i is more than adequate for most people.
Dead on. Drive both. Compare the performance. Think about what you will use 99% of the time. Look at the price. Self justify. Then go with your gut and buy the one you want. Be happy.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 04:02 PM   #7
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

A huge grin comes standard on the 135, I am not sure that a similar smile is even optional for the 128. In all seriousness, I was in your situation a year ago and I decided to go with a 135 and I couldn't be happier. Even though at the moment I don't get to drive the 135 hard and enjoy the capability it has, I have never once thought I should have gotten the 128 instead. Even when I send the check to the bank every month. If I would have gotten the 128 I probably would have blown the 4-6k I saved on something else. I figured if I am going to spend over 30k of my hard earned money on transportation, why compromise? I also will be keeping my 135 for years and years so the potential to mod and create a seemingly new car for just a few thousand (once the warranty is gone) was very appealing.

On the other hand, if you have no desire for the extra performance, then invest the money and enjoy your 128. It will also be more reliable in the long run. Good luck with your decision, it really is a win win.
      11-23-2008, 04:05 PM   #8
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: women crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleVik View Post
Dead on. Drive both. Compare the performance. Think about what you will use 99% of the time. Look at the price. Self justify. Then go with your gut and buy the one you want. Be happy.
Yeah this i understand but...the price seems so little (Im using BMW Website "Build You Own feature")

When i select the 128i, i add the Aero kit & Sports package (for the sports seats) that comes out to like 33K MSRP....

When i select the 135i, the ADD aero kit & sports package options arent there because, the sports seats are standard (apparently) and the 135i comes with Aero kit i like....this comes out to 36K MSRP...

So i want to know should i really save the 3K (in theory 3K) and get the 128i or go with the 135i because it comes with other things that makes up for the extra 3K (aside from the turbo engine)

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 04:06 PM   #9
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
This is true, the 128 would have been adequate. But so would a Chevy Aveo. The question is what level of adequacey are you willing to accept. The best advice is what others have said is to drive both and then decide.
      11-23-2008, 04:13 PM   #10
Midgad
Free Skier
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe, 6MT, M-Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARES45 View Post
This is true, the 128 would have been adequate. But so would a Chevy Aveo. The question is what level of adequacey are you willing to accept. The best advice is what others have said is to drive both and then decide.

Chevy Aveo or a 128i?
BMW or Chevy? Hummm that's a hard choice.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 04:17 PM   #11
1HungryMan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Quote:
That's a dumb comparison. The point is that many people have a kind of macho about the 135 because they've been told they're idiots to settle for the 128 when it turns out for most drivers, the difference is just so slight and the 128 more than meets their needs.

I agree that to drive is to decide.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 04:22 PM   #12
LittleVik
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDA View Post
Yeah this i understand but...the price seems so little (Im using BMW Website "Build You Own feature")

When i select the 128i, i add the Aero kit & Sports package (for the sports seats) that comes out to like 33K MSRP....

When i select the 135i, the ADD aero kit & sports package options arent there because, the sports seats are standard (apparently) and the 135i comes with Aero kit i like....this comes out to 36K MSRP...

So i want to know should i really save the 3K (in theory 3K) and get the 128i or go with the 135i because it comes with other things that makes up for the extra 3K (aside from the turbo engine)

Thanks
Go get the actual MSRP and Invoice list from BMW. Sports package *IS NOT* standard with the 135i. It costs $1100 for 135i vs $1300 for 128i. Also $100 extra for M steering wheel I think with paddle shifters. So your 3k diference is now more like a 4k difference. As far as I can see, 128i starts at 29200 MSRP vs 35600 for 135i. That is 6400 difference. So depending on how much aero is, that is your difference.

Don't let the quote above color your view of the 128i. There does seem to be a lot of pressure to go to the 135i for all that power, but I just don't see how I can use it 99% of the time. I challenge you to get into a 1 series, not knowing if it is a 128i or a 135i, and see if you can tell the difference. You'd be hard pressed to do it under normal conditions, and it would be impossible during a commute. There is a big HP difference, for sure, but be sure you need it and if so, are you willing to pay for it. Some people will definitely use it so it makes sense.

Look here for the BMW MSRP and Invoice pricing sheets. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=307776
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 05:19 PM   #13
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

If you're adding the sports package and aero kit to a 128i and comparing it to a 135i then the only differences are:
- Engine
- Headlights (Std on 135i, option on 128i)
- Subtle difference in appearance in the front bumper and side skirts

As for the differences with the aero kit:
- The aero kit rear bumper is identical to the 135i.
- The stock side skirts are identical between the 135i and 128i - the aero skirts are different than both of them.
- The aero kit front is different than both the stock 135i and 128i. It's entirely personal preference on which you like the most. If you would rather have something closer to the stock 135i bumper you can make that part fit (giving up the fogs) or if you don't mind a bit of hassle there is a Euro spec M front bumper that'll fit the 128i but it may be a P.I.T.A to get ahold of.

Also, when comparing prices with the aero kit, remember to include the cost for paint and install - the price you see online is just for the parts. When I had my rear aero bumper installed the part itself was right around $300 but with paint and install the final price was about $1000.

As for power - again, it's personal preference but I'll steal a quote from someone on here that stole it from their performance driving school instructor (the numbers don't match this car but you get the idea): "If you can't go fast with 200hp another 100hp isn't going to help"
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 05:54 PM   #14
LittleVik
Banned
United_States
Rep

Like I said, Sports Package is not standard with 135i. So you have to buy it for either car. And I see NO REASON to own a 135i and not have the sport option. You will be giving up sports seats, M Steering wheel, higher speed limiter, and shadowline trim.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 06:16 PM   #15
morgie2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by lib View Post
As for power - again, it's personal preference but I'll steal a quote from someone on here that stole it from their performance driving school instructor (the numbers don't match this car but you get the idea): "If you can't go fast with 200hp another 100hp isn't going to help"
As has been stated alot, it's simply a personal choice. For me, I made the mistake once of "settling" for a 2001 325 Ci vert (185HP). I went back and forth between it and the 330 Ci vert (225hp) before buying and my CA said something similar to your statement above. I am NOT a track type gear head, but I can tell you I regreted my decision for about 10 months till I traded it in for a 330 Ci and never looked back. You're certainly not an "idiot" for buying a 128i. If you're considering a 1 series and you're on this website, you're an enthusiast, 100 hp is HUGE. You're in for over thirty large already, for me, it's a "no-brainer" to get the bigger engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 06:19 PM   #16
morgie2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i convertible

Quote:
Good luck with your decision, it really is a win win.
Couldn't agree more!!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 06:32 PM   #17
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
That's a dumb comparison. The point is that many people have a kind of macho about the 135 because they've been told they're idiots to settle for the 128 when it turns out for most drivers, the difference is just so slight and the 128 more than meets their needs.

I agree that to drive is to decide.
You were missing my point. My point was that a chevy aveo is adequate transportation. Someone was saying that the 128 is adequate power for most drivers. Adequate is a subjective term, an aveo can reach the speed limit on any U.S. road, therefore one could say it has adequate power. But I don't think everyone would agree with that, making the term adequate different for everyone.

In the end, drive it and see what works best for you. With a 128, everyday I would have thought to myself 'gee wouldn't it be nice to drive a 135 today. And yes, you can tell the difference even if you dont take it above 3k rpm.
      11-23-2008, 06:46 PM   #18
ky_soldier
General of The Universe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [9.00]
you guys all keep mentioning the sport package. sport SUSPENSION is what is std on the 135. you need the sport package on the 128 to get that
1946 Willys CJ-2A
2009 Ferrari 612 Scaglietti OTO
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 07:06 PM   #19
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

Engine alone is worth the extra.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 07:14 PM   #20
LittleVik
Banned
United_States
Rep

I guess from what I see, the two cars serve different purposes. So maybe instead of deciding on which car and considering price, first consider your needs and what you want to get out of the car. If this is a dream car that you've always wanted and you'll love it and it will be your baby, def go all the way, 135i. Don't half ass it, because you will regret it. On the other hand, if its a car and nothing more, and your about price and value, but you still want a "nice" car not a Honda Civic, maybe the 128i will do, and you'll love it and have no regrets that way.

So instead of looking at price difference between 128i and 135i, look at how much it would cost you to switch from a 128i to a 135i if you aren't happy with your purchase. That could be a lot. That said, I own the 128i and I couldn't be any happier.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 07:29 PM   #21
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

It was simple for me... 135i has to be the 1!!!! Even if it didn't come with anything else...just the turbo gets an extra 10% in pleasure. That's my take, every1 has a different take I am sure.

But if.... if I was going with the cabriolet, auto... I would be very happy with the 128i. The other big issue I do not see too many mentioning right now is repairs. You take a 135i vs. A 128i and over 10 years I bet the 128 will be much cheaper to maintain. That’s just a guess though.

I think for my decision it is like I am faced now with Dinan on my 135i? It is the same decision of 128 vs 135i. The only big reason I do not get Dinan right now is the hassles of warranty and like many of us, our wealth is much smaller right now with not seeing a bright future in the next year. I totally enjoy the cheap gas but not at the cost of our Canadian dollar and our stock market.

So if your decision is based on $$$$, and if you could not cough up the extra 5k I think the 128 is an awesome car!

EspressoBoy
      11-23-2008, 07:59 PM   #22
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

Who owns a car for 10 years these days?
Appreciate 0