BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-10-2016, 07:49 PM   #23
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

It sounds like you have a draw that is ruining the battery. If you don't get that fixed, the new battery will fail too.

One additional fact on registering the battery is it doesn't have to be done at the same time the battery is installed. If you don't the car charges the new battery like it's an old one. That could shorten the life of the battery but it would be a cumulative effect. It is very feasible to drive the car for a week or two while waiting on the OBD to Bluetooth adapter. But we all have to decide how to deal with it and if you only have one car, it's pretty limiting when it won't go. I get that. Fortunately I have two, plus a wife with another e88 which gives me more options. Everybody's situation is different.

But the dealer is paying less than $100 for the battery and it takes less than an hour to swap it out and do the registering. It should take more like half an hour.
      07-11-2016, 12:32 PM   #24
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by sometorque View Post
Yeah, i was as surprised as anyone, especially after hearing horror stories of dealerships charging $600+ for a battery.

$359 was a bit more than my local indie, but with the convenience of having a loaner for the day to get to and from the office. Cant be mad at that.
I agree 100%.

If our battery lasted 3 -4 years then yeah.. I might consider investing in carly app .. multi-meter.. etc.

But since our battery lasts 6 -7 years, (mine lasted 6 1/2) for $359 or around $400 why bother. Just get a good indy place or your dealer to replace it. You'll know it's done correctly with no worries.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 04:13 PM   #25
sometorque
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
It sounds like you have a draw that is ruining the battery. If you don't get that fixed, the new battery will fail too.

One additional fact on registering the battery is it doesn't have to be done at the same time the battery is installed. If you don't the car charges the new battery like it's an old one. That could shorten the life of the battery but it would be a cumulative effect. It is very feasible to drive the car for a week or two while waiting on the OBD to Bluetooth adapter. But we all have to decide how to deal with it and if you only have one car, it's pretty limiting when it won't go. I get that. Fortunately I have two, plus a wife with another e88 which gives me more options. Everybody's situation is different.

But the dealer is paying less than $100 for the battery and it takes less than an hour to swap it out and do the registering. It should take more like half an hour.
Pretty much spot on. Fiance and I are down to two cars since I sold my daily, leaving me in a tough spot timing-wise with this issue cropping up. Otherwise, I would've pulled the battery to not damage it from the discharging and taken the week or so to buy the battery, register it myself and save the few bucks.

Car went back to the dealer, SA, tech and myself all agree there is something wrong and they explained their process of determining the root cause (draw test, ibs stores modules that don't enter sleep mode, etc). They did ask me if I was ok when them keeping the car for a few days, which I'm ok with. The 228 loaner isn't as fun, but it'll do for the time being.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 06:06 PM   #26
sometorque
Private First Class
Rep

Update - SA called me. Turns out with the heat down here and wear and tear, the comfort access handle on my driver-side door had shorted out and was keeping the car awake. The IBS sensor was also damaged, keeping the car from entering sleep mode.

Both are being replaced under warranty.

FYI - this appears to be a common issue with the e60/90 guys with comfort access. If you guys ever have this issue, the handles are a good place to start.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2016, 10:15 PM   #27
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Update - SA called me. Turns out with the heat down here and wear and tear, the comfort access handle on my driver-side door had shorted out and was keeping the car awake. The IBS sensor was also damaged, keeping the car from entering sleep mode.

Both are being replaced under warranty.

FYI - this appears to be a common issue with the e60/90 guys with comfort access. If you guys ever have this issue, the handles are a good place to start.
This is the kind of stuff that bugs me with today's cars: Too much tech for tech's sake and prone to failure.

I owned my E36 for 18 years and only real car things failed: suspension mounts, hood release cable, differential, ignition switch... I only replaced my car battery once in those 18 years.
      07-22-2016, 02:03 PM   #28
sometorque
Private First Class
Rep

Update - finally got the car back. Since the door handles come painted from the factory, it took a few days for them to source one.

Car is back to normal operation and no more issues for now.

Given how much the CPO has paid out in the last 16 months of ownership (roughly 8k in repairs) and my CPO coverage ending this month, I'm reluctant to hang on to the car much longer. Will be selling it in the coming months a bit more pedestrian for everyday duties and finally committing to an e30 project to have my car-related fun.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 05:48 PM   #29
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Quote:
Update - finally got the car back. Since the door handles come painted from the factory, it took a few days for them to source one.

Given how much the CPO has paid out in the last 16 months of ownership (roughly 8k in repairs) and my CPO coverage ending this month, I'm reluctant to hang on to the car much longer. Will be selling it in the coming months a bit more pedestrian for everyday duties and finally committing to an e30 project to have my car-related fun.
I feel your pain. I have the same concerns on keeping my 1er another 2 years or so.

My solution is going to be getting another vehicle to run through the Winter.
This will cut in half the miles on my 135i and will reduce maintenance costs due to not running it as much.

It is very hard to gid rid of this car. The 135i is so much fun to drive.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes

Last edited by PA135i; 07-22-2016 at 06:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 06:15 PM   #30
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA135i View Post
Quote:

I feel your pain. I have the same concerns on keeping my 1er another 2 years or so.

My solution is going to be getting another vehicle to run through the Winter.
This will cut in half the miles on my 135i and will reduce maintenance costs due to not running it as much.

It is very hard to gid rid of this car. The 135i is so much fun to drive.
I've been out of warranty for two years this October and have not had any problems so far (except for replacing the battery), but don't have a ton of miles either. Hopefully when things do start to go wrong, they don't happen all at once. Planning on keeping my 1er till the wheels fall off, or it gets totaled. Of course, the best plans can change.

Last edited by Esteban; 07-22-2016 at 06:42 PM..
Appreciate 0