BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-09-2015, 11:57 AM   #1
zekethegeek
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Convertible

Garage List
Brakes Dragging/Pedal to Floor

Hello everyone. This is my first post here. I bought a 2009 135i convertible recently and the brakes were shuddering. I bought new Bosch rotors and EBC pads. I have done probably a dozen brake jobs in my life but I have never experienced this issue.

Everything went well on the left, but while reassembling the right brake I found that the rotor was binding against the steering knuckle. I pulled the rotor and the caliper back off and put it back together. It was a close fit but it seemed to work. I closed up the brake fluid reservoir and pulled out of the garage.

The pedal went to the floor. I pumped them, they seemed to get strong again, but as soon as I moved they went back to the floor and there was effectively no braking at all. Also, the rotors are rubbing in rhythm with the motion of the car (so I would say "chuff", "chuff", "chuff" if I was on Car Talk).

I have never seen anything like this before. I used Dicor's excellent list but none of them seems to be an exact match. The "chuffing"--if the rotor is true (and it's brand new) how could it vary its clearance through the rotation of the wheel vs. just binding consistently? And why would brakes go to the floor and not build up their firmness again? There are no leaks visible, the reservoir cap is on tight.

Before I jack everything back up and look at it again I wanted to see if I could get some insight into what sort of mistake I made to cause this. Thank you all for your time.

Last edited by zekethegeek; 03-09-2015 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: Bad grammar in the last sentence.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 05:58 PM   #2
zekethegeek
Rep

Garage List
It was a bad rotor

I couldn't believe it was even a possibility, but the Bosch rotor seems to be bad. Is this a thing? See the video--I have the new rotor (which I've now had on and off 4 times and I carefully cleaned before bolting it back on last time) in the first half of the video and the original in the second half. The collar in the middle of the new one does not appear to be square.

Using my (mostly woodworking) tools I can find no measurement that would indicate a wobble. The straight edge is square across the face of the rotor, the measurements from the hub's face to the rotor looks uniform around the perimeter of the hub.

Don't know if anyone's following me on this but it's driving me nuts. I find it difficult to believe that an anomaly like this even possible within the manufacturing process.

Last edited by zekethegeek; 03-09-2015 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: Cleaned up grammar
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 07:40 PM   #3
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Woah, that's insane. I would think they'd be genuinely interested in figuring out how that even got to you. Wow.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 08:00 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quality parts there!! What brand were those rotors?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 09:22 PM   #5
zekethegeek
Rep

Garage List
Bosch

Yeah, they are Bosch. The box even says that they are individually balanced. Weirdest thing. I hope Amazon gets me a new one quickly--supposed to be 70s and sunny!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 08:22 AM   #6
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I'd consider contacting Bosch as well. Just to see what they have to say. I imagine they'd be appalled they let something like that go. I don't think they'd throw free parts your direction or anything but as an experiment it might be interesting to see their reaction.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 09:00 AM   #7
slonik
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: e46 M3, e82v8 (s65 swapped)

it looks like rotor didn't fitted correctly on hub face.
are you sure that it sits correct and touches all surface of the hub?

try to watch thru the wheel bolt holes on rotor, that there are no clearance between rotor and hub.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 09:59 AM   #8
zekethegeek
Rep

Garage List
What would keep it from seating properly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonik View Post
it looks like rotor didn't fitted correctly on hub face.

try to watch thru the wheel bolt holes on rotor, that there are no clearance between rotor and hub.
That's what I was thinking Slonik. I thought that maybe it was dirty, so I took a wire brush to the hub and the rotor to make sure that it was clean. I put the wheel bolts in and carefully tightened them to center the rotor. I have had it off and on four times now. When I put the original back on it just went on with no drama. Is there a way I might have somehow damaged it putting it on? Could the rotor be close but the wrong size (the wheel bolts into the rotor directly seem to not all set evenly--some have gaps on one side).

BTW, how does the rotor itself center around the hub? The wheel bolts center the wheel with their cone shape, but the cones don't reach down through the wheel into the rotor, do they? It would seem like the rotor would never be perfectly centered over the hub and the little torx screw wouldn't be enough to hold it in place while the wheel goes on.

I have tweeted Bosch with this video. I have never had any problem with their products, and this seems impossible, so I still think I may be to blame. I just can't figure out how. Anyway, very curious. Even the Amazon return department seemed surprised. Like I was reporting the Loch Ness monster or Bigfoot or something.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 01:22 PM   #9
slonik
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep

Quote:
BTW, how does the rotor itself center around the hub? The wheel bolts center the wheel with their cone shape, but the cones don't reach down through the wheel into the rotor, do they? It would seem like the rotor would never be perfectly centered over the hub and the little torx screw wouldn't be enough to hold it in place while the wheel goes on.
rotor must be centered on center bore (79mm). does it fits on it? you can see some lip which has larger diameter, than other length of the hub, where wheel located (72.6mm).
normally you can take new rotor and fits it easily on it's place on the hub.
may be this rotors have smaller center bore?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 02:02 PM   #10
zekethegeek
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
normally you can take new rotor and fits it easily on it's place on the hub. may be this rotors have smaller center bore?
It's centered, but it doesn't "press in" or feel like it would be perfectly aligned--in the example I posted I was using the wheel bolts to align it and pull it up into place. It's close, for sure, but at 85 mph (when I happen to have a vibration from the front end) is it aligned perfectly enough?

Just something about bimmer brakes and wheels I don't know.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 03:19 PM   #11
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Seeing it again, the face wobbles along with the disc. That does indeed make it just not appear to be all the way on. If it's not an issue with the flat mating surfaces touching each other (i.e. chunk of debris in there), I agree it seems like an issue with the ID of it being small and not wanting to slide all the way up and on.

Quote:
I am thinking he's right.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 05:52 PM   #12
zekethegeek
Rep

Garage List
Yep--the part is different

The diameter of the hole in the rotor is subtly smaller, causing it to not be able to seat and wobble.

Name:  disc rotor size.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  43.6 KB

You know why? It's a rear brake rotor. Somehow in my mad dash clicking around Amazon I didn't notice that Bosch doesn't offer a fitment for a front rotor, just rears.

Last edited by zekethegeek; 03-10-2015 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: I. Am. Stupid.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 06:47 PM   #13
slonik
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep

i had some suspicion about this, cause bell's shape on your video were different and new one looks like rear ( wide bell like it has drum inside for handbrake).
but after that i thought that you can't fit rear rotor to the front - diameter, height and even thickness are different.
but, as we can see, you can!

different rotor diameter and thickness didn't gave you any ideas?

anyway, good news that your problem had solved now.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 08:28 PM   #14
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekethegeek View Post
You know why? It's a rear brake rotor. Somehow in my mad dash clicking around Amazon I didn't notice that Bosch doesn't offer a fitment for a front rotor, just rears.
LOL. Been there myself.
Appreciate 0