BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
DingerFinger
Rep
Drives: 1M

Custom Print

Hi guys,

I came across this website a few months ago and ordered the 2002 turbo and gti mk1 prints. They are $100 each and very good work.

I then contacted the guy because he does custom prints to inquire about one for a 1M. It would be $500 for a custom one and it's a little too steep for me to pay that much so I'm wondering if anyone here would be interested in getting one as well. We'll get it for $100 each once we have 5 committed.

I'd be interested in just a black and white one of our car drawn looking front on. Not sure if he'd ship outside North American but I cannot see why not.

I have the print that BMW M-Power sent out as well and I'd have to say that this guy's work is nicer.

Anyone interested?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
Hobbe
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: AW E82 1M

Pictures or a link to website please.
The original:
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
DingerFinger
Rep

That would help hey. Sorry

http://www.manualdesigns.*********.com

Don't think the link will work though - not sure why. Just do a search for "manual designs" in google and it's the first one.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
Hobbe
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: AW E82 1M

It's not your day today, is it?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #5
Elwood74
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
manualdesigns.big car tel.com

Delete the spaces.

I've seen several of Chris's works first hand. Excellent work.

He's also a fellow 1er owner.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #6
DingerFinger
Rep

Thanks. Thought it might have been blocked or something.

Below is a portion of an email I got from him just before the New Year about my inquiry.

"As for custom prints, I'd love to do a print of a 1M for you! Allow me to explain how the process for custom prints works:

First I'd do a bunch of image research. Then I'll create a digital mockup of what the print will look like, email that to you and get your approval. Once you approve, I transfer the design onto laminate, and cut out the stencils by hand. I then place the stencils over a sheet of printing paper, and spray each color, creating the print. This process allows for overspray and slight imperfections. I do this intentionally because I want my artwork to show that each and every print was hand-made.

For fully custom prints like this, I charge $500. The whole process takes about 2 weeks from when I start designing the print. I am currently booked solid for custom prints through February, so I'd be able to make your print some time in the beginning of March. Sorry the for the inconvenience!

If you're good with the price and the timeline, I'll ask you to make a deposit of $250, and then you would pay the balance after you approve the digital mockup. Let me know how you'd like to proceed. Thanks!"
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 12:48 AM   #7
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

My guess is the artist (Christopher H.) would find a very receptive audience with our 1M community. I've admired these prints for awhile (saw the designs on another website) but didn't know who did the work or that there were more designs out there. Thanks for posting this.

I, for one, am interested. I'd normally be more interested in a digital reproduction for $50 vs. a handmade, signed and numbered original (I'm cheap, I know). But I think I'd actually spring for a $100 original if it came down to it.

Assuming the 1M print will be as fantastic as everything else he does--and I wouldn't even pretend to offer any creative direction to the master stencil man--you can sign me up.

PM me and let me know if / how I can help make this happen.

///BYU
Proud supporter of the visual arts since 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingerFinger View Post
Not sure if he'd ship outside North American but I cannot see why not.
From his website it looks like shipping outside of North America would be just fine. Good news.

Last edited by ///BYU; 01-17-2013 at 12:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 02:40 AM   #8
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
I'm interested. Looks like most his prints are 16 x 20. I wonder if he would be willing to do something a little larger for a group buy.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
DingerFinger
Rep

Sounds good guys. We have four committed so far. Honestly I thought there would be a lot more interested but we only need one more anyway.

Not sure about a larger print but we can ask. His regular size is pretty good actually if you frame it with a nice matte. I would think it'll all depend on how large a print he can produce as well as how many would want a larger print.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #10
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

I'd be interested... But I'd like to know how it works? Is he providing the picture? If so, what color 1M?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #11
Elwood74
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
You all should check out his FB
https://www.facebook.com/manualdesigns

And the making of video:
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #12
DingerFinger
Rep

Thanks for posting the video. It makes it very clear what the process is.

We'd have to see about a colour. I like the front on look in simple black and white. Have to check with Chris about adding colour.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #13
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I think the more creative freedom we give Chris, the better the end result will be. Just my two cents, based on my experience working with creative types from ad agencies, etc. I would be very careful about giving direction about what angle, what color, etc. We might ironically end up with exactly what we want, yet something less than what the artist is capable of--and we wouldn't want that, would we?

I think giving Chris total creative freedom is especially important (1) early in the creative process and (2) since we all probably have something different in mind anyway. I trust Chris enough to do a fantastic job--if he is looking for input from us at any point along the way, I would be happy to contribute, but only upon his request.

Looking forward to it!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 11:18 PM   #14
DingerFinger
Rep

Ok then. Lets get a list together of guys who want to proceed. Please add your username.

DingerFinger
LofgrenCL
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #15
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BYU View Post
I would be very careful about giving direction about what angle, what color, etc. We might ironically end up with exactly what we want, yet something less than what the artist is capable of--and we wouldn't want that, would we?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #16
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe (Not an M1!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingerFinger
Ok then. Lets get a list together of guys who want to proceed. Please add your username.

DingerFinger
LofgrenCL
I am interested. These look fantastic
Need a bit more detail. If around $100, yes. $500, no. So we each would get a handmade print? It wouldn't be $100 for a 'print' of this print, correct?
PyratOne

Top Gear Magazine - Jason Barlow about the 1M
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #17
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sorry for the late reply. I'm in as long as it's an original print (signed and numbered) and the price is around $100. It's going to be great!

DingerFinger
LofgrenCL
///BYU

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #18
1swift1
I pass gas for a living.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

I'm in if it is $100 and original print

DingerFinger
LofgrenCL
///BYU
1swift1

PS: would love it if VO was part of the color scheme!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #19
Win
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I'm down. I already have 2 other prints from Chris, so a 1M would make it complete. I suggested that he should do a 1M and post on forums. I'm sure he's got enough work lined up after all that exposure.

DingerFinger
LofgrenCL
///BYU
1swift1
Win
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 10:40 PM   #20
DingerFinger
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyratOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by DingerFinger

DingerFinger
LofgrenCL
I am interested. These look fantastic
Need a bit more detail. If around $100, yes. $500, no. So we each would get a handmade print? It wouldn't be $100 for a 'print' of this print, correct?
PyratOne
My understanding is that it is the print and not a copy for $100. I think Chris sells copies of prints for his other work for $50.

Below is the most recent email I got from Chris. I'll contact him to let him know we have 5 people and get things rolling.

"Sounds great! As soon as you have 5 people confirmed on the forum, let me know. At that time, I'll post a 1M product on my website. It won't have the actual design, it'll just be a placeholder. The 5 people will pre-order their prints from this product page. I'm not exactly sure when I'll be able to make the prints, but I'll do my best to get them done soon after all 5 people pre-order the print. Thanks!"
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 11:10 PM   #21
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: e46M3 Ruby, Porsche Cayman GT4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DingerFinger View Post
My understanding is that it is the print and not a copy for $100. I think Chris sells copies of prints for his other work for $50.

Below is the most recent email I got from Chris. I'll contact him to let him know we have 5 people and get things rolling.

"Sounds great! As soon as you have 5 people confirmed on the forum, let me know. At that time, I'll post a 1M product on my website. It won't have the actual design, it'll just be a placeholder. The 5 people will pre-order their prints from this product page. I'm not exactly sure when I'll be able to make the prints, but I'll do my best to get them done soon after all 5 people pre-order the print. Thanks!"
Can you choose the colour of the print to match your car ?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #22
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

IN!!!

DingerFinger
LofgrenCL
///BYU
1swift1
Win