BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-14-2016, 04:13 PM   #1
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Testing the Oil Level Sensor

Anyone know of a way to test if the oil level sensor is functioning properly? Perhaps a way to reset it even?

HX: Fixed my OFHG/OFCG leak about lets say 2.5k miles ago. Did spark plugs about 1k miles ago, no apparent VCG leaks. Right before going on a long trip maybe last weekend, oil level sensor suggested oil level dropped from Max, to half. While out on the trip, level dropped to just below 1/4. I always have a qt of oil in the trunk for trips, no biggie. Oil level registered half again, then the same 1/4 or so over the trip home.

Today on the way to work, oil registered below Min and I got the add oil warning. Before I could get there, it registered at half. Figured, maybe sump did its level check when the car was at a bad angle? Curious. To make things more weird, the sensor is now reading Max again as of this afternoon.

Hence my suspicions of a shady oil level sensor. To be clear, I have not added a drop of oil since the fluids flushes I did during the gasket repairs.
      07-14-2016, 09:48 PM   #2
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

How difficult would it be to install a tube and dipstick?

Seriously, I have worried about the same thing myself, except that my N55 has not behaved as erratically as your N54.
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 06:35 AM   #3
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeroni View Post
How difficult would it be to install a tube and dipstick?

Seriously, I have worried about the same thing myself, except that my N55 has not behaved as erratically as your N54.
It's just a sensor in the sump. Just looking for a way to test it rather than going through the effort to replace it.