BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-22-2012, 06:03 AM   #133
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

COBB & CO

Hi all
Today the Advan Cobb test unit arrived, let the testing begin
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 08:51 AM   #134
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycat View Post
Hi all
Today the Advan Cobb test unit arrived, let the testing begin
Hopefully we hear good things
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 06:20 AM   #135
Moocow
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [9.00]
i just got mine to find that it too couldn't install due to unrecognised ROM. I installed the AccessPort Manager software on my Mac, and saw that my unit was running the latest firmware.

I tried the latest beta version firmware, but it too came up with unrecognised ROM when i went to install in 135i.

I have saved my ROM and uploaded it to Cobb, hopefully i get this thing working soon - hanging out big time
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 06:23 AM   #136
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moocow View Post
i just got mine to find that it too couldn't install due to unrecognised ROM. I installed the AccessPort Manager software on my Mac, and saw that my unit was running the latest firmware.

I tried the latest beta version firmware, but it too came up with unrecognised ROM when i went to install in 135i.

I have saved my ROM and uploaded it to Cobb, hopefully i get this thing working soon - hanging out big time
Is a shame you probably won't get a respond till their Monday (our tuesday) but it will be worth the wait!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 03:54 AM   #137
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Someone has ATP coming soon
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 04:04 AM   #138
ansch
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

woot!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 04:55 AM   #139
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
God dammit I wish they'd release an AP for N55!!!
      05-01-2012, 06:49 AM   #140
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
Someone has ATP coming soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
God dammit I wish they'd release an AP for N55!!!
Patience
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 06:51 AM   #141
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
Patience
No. Don't wanna...

I've had so much trouble with my JB4 that I've pulled it off the car and I'm not putting it back.

WANT A COBB AP NAOW!!!
      05-01-2012, 06:55 AM   #142
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
No. Don't wanna...

I've had so much trouble with my JB4 that I've pulled it off the car and I'm not putting it back.

WANT A COBB AP NAOW!!!
What's wrong with the JB4?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 07:02 AM   #143
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What's wrong with the JB4?
What's not wrong with it?

- Sometimes it throws dozens of codes.
- Sometimes it causes limp mode.
- Sometimes it makes the turbo go to -11 PSI
- It continually resets itself while the car is in motion (awesome when it's set to deactivate the stability control and that happens mid-corner)
- Most recently it caused the car to develop a misfire that goes away in Map 0.

That was the last straw. Took it off. Not putting it back.

Have emailed Terry and Mike repeatedly. Mike didn't respond and Terry gave me nothing other than 1-line responses like "have you tried checking the connections?"

I figure it's either a faulty unit or the N55 JB4 is dodgy as hell... Either way, not getting any help from Burger and if they won't help then I doubt they'll warranty...
      05-01-2012, 07:05 AM   #144
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
What's not wrong with it?

- Sometimes it throws dozens of codes.
- Sometimes it causes limp mode.
- Sometimes it makes the turbo go to -11 PSI
- It continually resets itself while the car is in motion (awesome when it's set to deactivate the stability control and that happens mid-corner)
- Most recently it caused the car to develop a misfire that goes away in Map 0.

That was the last straw. Took it off. Not putting it back.

Have emailed Terry and Mike repeatedly. Mike didn't respond and Terry gave me nothing other than 1-line responses like "have you tried checking the connections?"

I figure it's either a faulty unit or the N55 JB4 is dodgy as hell... Either way, not getting any help from Burger and if they won't help then I doubt they'll warranty...
Yikes not good especially when it turns off traction control!

I find Terry is always helpful strange he couldn't help you get through it.

Did you ask Vinney or Edwin for some help?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 07:13 AM   #145
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yikes not good especially when it turns off traction control!

I find Terry is always helpful strange he couldn't help you get through it.

Did you ask Vinney or Edwin for some help?
I would characterize Terry's responses as "lackadaisical"...

Have spoken to Vin about it a bit but the N55 JB4 is TOTALLY different from the N54...

The N55's ECU is mounted to the engine instead of in the ECU box (which basically just has a couple of fuses and some wires running through it) so it's a series of sensor piggybacks and a couple of wire taps instead of the ribbon cable plugins you find on the N54.

Car is running perfectly without the Tune. Have been unhappy with it form months. Didn't realise how much I wasn't "trusting" the car until I pulled the tune out and it started behaving itself...

I think a flash tune is the only thing I'll trust now... That means BMW PPK, Dinan, or Cobb (I know there are others but I'll stick to brand names). THe PPK and the Dinan are both seriously overpriced.

I want a Cobb.

Last edited by Harlequin; 05-01-2012 at 07:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 07:18 AM   #146
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I would characterize Terry's responses as "lackadaisical"...

Have spoken to Vin about it a bit but the N55 JB4 is TOTALLY different from the N54...

The N55's ECU is mounted to the engine instead of in the ECU box (which basically just has a couple of fuses and some wires running through it) so it's a series of sensor piggybacks and a couple of wire taps instead of the ribbon cable plugins you find on the N54.

Car is running perfectly without the Tune. Have been unhappy with it form months. Didn't realise how much I wasn't "trusting" the car until I pulled the tune out and it started behaving itself...

I think a flash tune is the only thing I'll trust now... That means BMW PPK, Dinan, or Cobb (I know there are others but I'l stick to brand names). THe PPK and the Dinan are both seriously overpriced.

I want a Cobb.
Ah right that is a shame! Hopefully COBB support N55 soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #147
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Cobb N55 is a fair way off unfortunately...

Angus iirc you have the Stage 2 N55 JB, do you want to try a Stage 1 for kicks free of charge?

Tuning the N55 is turning out to be a tricky one, a few issues reported with the Procede as well and they aren't that easy to flash :/
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #148
Moocow
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [9.00]
Got my ECU added to the latest beta version
Upgraded AP to latest beta version
Downloaded all of the latest beta maps (v4.0.1) for "Stage 1 Linear Throttle Aggressive" and copied to AP. (didn't know which ECU my car had, so got them all to cover myself - ended up having IGDOS)
Installed AP to car, picked the only v4.0.1 "Stage 1 LT Aggressive" map that wasn't greyed out - was surprised how long it took, a nervous 20 minute wait.

Very happy with the end result. Power increased but still very linear

Last edited by Moocow; 05-01-2012 at 05:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #149
adrian@vishnu
Australia
Rep

N55 is trickier. With the Procede we find that most cars have no issue. Cars that have an issue are normally early ECU firmware. Issue we have is nothing like reported above. It sounds to me like the issue reported above is a faulty JB or harness (that traction control going off sounds dangerous and is why we do not play with DTC on Procede). The only issue we really have with Procede is occasional code and limp at high RPM/boost/gear. I have had some customers that did not plug a connector on initially properly, but once fixed, no further issue. A while back we used to get an occasional code at cruise but that is fixed. I am not aware of any N55 procedes on latest firmware having any issue.... but for sure the N55 is not as stable is N54 when it comes to tunes. The DCT boxes are also a pain to use on the dyno and dyno results can be inconsistent on any N55, but they behave much better on the road.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #150
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

I'm sure you have a faulty harness Angus. Theres a lot of happy N55 JB4 customers. May be a sensor issue. Sorry to hear that. Just send it back to Terry to have it checked out.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #151
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ah right that is a shame! Hopefully COBB support N55 soon.
Quote:
Cobb N55 is a fair way off unfortunately...
Been doing a bit of checking around an there a rumours that its within the next month or so... Of course they are rumours... And there may be a further delay before these is an OZ version available...

Quote:
Angus iirc you have the Stage 2 N55 JB, do you want to try a Stage 1 for kicks free of charge?

Tuning the N55 is turning out to be a tricky one, a few issues reported with the Procede as well and they aren't that easy to flash :/
Stu, thanks for the offer mate but I already have a JB3 (I upgraded and never got around to returning the original control module). I admit that I never had any issues with that so going back to the Stage 1 is an option...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian@vishnu View Post
N55 is trickier. With the Procede we find that most cars have no issue. Cars that have an issue are normally early ECU firmware. Issue we have is nothing like reported above. It sounds to me like the issue reported above is a faulty JB or harness (that traction control going off sounds dangerous and is why we do not play with DTC on Procede). The only issue we really have with Procede is occasional code and limp at high RPM/boost/gear. I have had some customers that did not plug a connector on initially properly, but once fixed, no further issue. A while back we used to get an occasional code at cruise but that is fixed. I am not aware of any N55 procedes on latest firmware having any issue.... but for sure the N55 is not as stable is N54 when it comes to tunes. The DCT boxes are also a pain to use on the dyno and dyno results can be inconsistent on any N55, but they behave much better on the road.
Hmm.. My car is an 08/10 build with latest updates (Was at BMW last week and they confirmed). My Limp modes have always been at cruising speed - it actually seems to behave better at WOT. I don't think it's the harness as its the same one I used for the JB3 and I didn't even disconnect it when I upgraded...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4135 View Post
I'm sure you have a faulty harness Angus. Theres a lot of happy N55 JB4 customers. May be a sensor issue. Sorry to hear that. Just send it back to Terry to have it checked out.
My guess would be the Control Module as it's the same harness used with the JB3 that I had on the car for over 6 months without issue. Although it could be the the RHD extension cable that I had to get so that the JB4 can reach the ECU...
      05-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #152
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

What code do you get when you go to limp mode while cruising?

Last time I had that was due to my VANOS solenoid being faulty - replaced it and it was all good.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #153
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What code do you get when you go to limp mode while cruising?

Last time I had that was due to my VANOS solenoid being faulty - replaced it and it was all good.
I didn't get any codes for Limp Mode (I know. Weird.) - it just gave me a CEL and the Turbo Pressure went WAY into the negatives... Fluctuating from -5 to -11 PSI... I was stuck in peak hour traffic so couldn't pull over immediately. Eventually it stalled... Started it again, managed to pull over... Waited 1/2 an hour. Drove home on Map 0. Was fine the next morning...

It was the Misfire that finally did it for me... that wouldn't go away unless the car was in Map 0. All of the other issues were intermittent.
      05-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #154
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

How many km's have you done Angus and how many of them tuned? you still on factory plugs?
Appreciate 0