BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-03-2022, 12:28 AM   #1
germ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i convertible

Clutch end of life?

2008 135i, 119k, 6MT (obviously).

The clutch has not been feeling smooth for a while, especially when pushing it. But since a week or so, I feel a burning smell after and during normal local roads driving.

Questions for the community:
1. Is burning smell a typical warning sign that the clutch has reached end-of-life?
2. How long are clutches supposed to last in this model?
3. What does a clutch "replacement" include? I see various clutch components available on many BMW online parts stores, but I don't know which ones must be replaced. Should I get original BMW parts or are there any reliable OEMs?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 05:38 AM   #2
Wazowski
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 135 6MT vert

Garage List
2008 E88 135  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by germ View Post
2008 135i, 119k, 6MT (obviously).

The clutch has not been feeling smooth for a while, especially when pushing it. But since a week or so, I feel a burning smell after and during normal local roads driving.

Questions for the community:
1. Is burning smell a typical warning sign that the clutch has reached end-of-life?
2. How long are clutches supposed to last in this model?
3. What does a clutch "replacement" include? I see various clutch components available on many BMW online parts stores, but I don't know which ones must be replaced. Should I get original BMW parts or are there any reliable OEMs?
Regarding your second question, I have 186k miles on my 08 e88 135 original clutch. Clutch engagement is still in the same place (With self adjusting clutches I would expect the engagement point to become higher as end of life approaches.)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 08:40 AM   #3
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

If you smell burning clutch during normal or even spirited driving, you're definitely due for a clutch soon. If you got aggressive on a few launches, it wouldn't be unusual to smell a little clutch, even on one that has a lot of life left. It would be slightly unusual to go though one in 120k miles, but definitely not impossible.

OEM clutch replacements are typically available in kits that include everything you need but the flywheel. They don't need to be branded "BMW" to be OEM. I plan to replace the dual-mass flywheel with a simple flywheel when I replace mine, but if you go the standard route, a new dual-mass flywheel is not inexpensive. Of course while you have the transmission out, you should replace the rear engine mounts, transmission mounts, and giubo for good measure. Rear main seal leaks are pretty common so you should replace that too if you see any sign of weeping.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2022, 12:01 PM   #4
lemansblau135is
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 135is

Garage List
2013 bmw 135is  [0.00]
Having drive manual boxes most of my life and having to to replace clutches, if You smell burning oil when you drive then replace the clutche. Cuz you can further burn/damage the flywheel that may have to be re-surfaced. I still drive a daily manual, but I bought the DCT for comfort
Appreciate 0