BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

KW V1 instructions

i'm installing my V1s tomorrow and was flipping through the manual. i have a couple questions hopefully those who've already installed V1s can answer:

1. the instructions say that at the minimum rear height (12mm total adjuster stack height), the rear ride height will be 12.8 inches from the axle to the fender. is this consistent with what you guys have seen? that doesn't seem particularly low. (looking for V1 responses only on this one...)

2. they also say that "you have to remove the rear axle adjustment to correct (screw up the threaded ring) the car height." this can't be true... is this because the top piece of the adjuster will turn with the lower piece if you turn it under any spring tension? that's never been a problem with other coilovers i've used in similar applications, and would make corner-balancing a nightmare!

Last edited by fourtailpipes; 05-23-2011 at 09:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i MT6 M Sport, Dinan 5

Garage List
2011 128i  [5.66]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtailpipes View Post

2. they also say that "you have to remove the rear axle adjustment to correct (screw up the threaded ring) the car height." this can't be true... is this because the top piece of the adjuster will turn with the lower piece if you turn it under any spring tension? that's never been a problem with other coilovers i've used in similar applications, and would make corner-balancing a nightmare!
Check this thread:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529472

look at post #3.
      05-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeros and ones View Post
Check this thread:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529472

look at post #3.
i've been following that thread... the pictures are originally from this post in another thread... both relating to improper installation of the rear adjuster. i won't make that mistake, but that doesn't really help me with height, as the setup pictured is the V2, which uses a different spring (i think). it appears like they'll go super low, though, which (if the height adjustment range is similar between the v1 AND v2) would lead me to believe that the rear height should go far lower than the 12.8" stated in the manual.

super weak work done by these shops installing them incorrectly though... the manual lays out very clearly how to arrange the spring and adjuster in the rear, and exactly which pieces need to come out. i find it hard to believe the tech even opened the book.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #4
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep

...also can anyone confirm that the rear height adjusters on V1, V2 or V3 function properly while installed? i find it really hard to believe that you have to take it all apart to adjust the rear height (see my second question in OP)

Last edited by fourtailpipes; 05-24-2011 at 12:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #5
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [5.66]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Quote:
i've been following that thread... the pictures are originally from this post in another thread... both relating to improper installation of the rear adjuster. i won't make that mistake, but that doesn't really help me with height, as the setup pictured is the V2, which uses a different spring (i think). it appears like they'll go super low, though, which (if the height adjustment range is similar between the v1 AND v2) would lead me to believe that the rear height should go far lower than the 12.8" stated in the manual.
Well I am not to sure about the different spring but I got the V3's and that is exactly how I installed it in the back and everything is ok.

Quote:
...also can anyone confirm that the rear height adjusters on V1, V2 or V3 function properly while installed? i find it really hard to believe that you have to take it all apart to adjust the rear height (see my second question in OP)
I adjusted the height of the back while it is was installed. I made sure to make marks on everything for the adjustment so this way I know when I have done a full turn or not.
      05-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Well I am not to sure about the different spring but I got the V3's and that is exactly how I installed it in the back and everything is ok.
do you know how many threads were exposed (or your "A measurement") in the rear and what your rear height is? i may just have to use the v2/v3 information from these boards as a starting point, as i can't find anything specific to the V1. before opening the manual i decided i wanted my rear height at 12.75"... according to the manual that's lower than the lowest setting (which i'm certain is a typo, as thats a pretty conservative drop)

Quote:
I adjusted the height of the back while it is was installed. I made sure to make marks on everything for the adjustment so this way I know when I have done a full turn or not.
thanks! did you experience an unusual amount of spinning in the top piece against the chassis when you were adjusting? i wonder why they say that...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #7
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [5.66]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Quote:
do you know how many threads were exposed (or your "A measurement") in the rear and what your rear height is? i may just have to use the v2/v3 information from these boards as a starting point, as i can't find anything specific to the V1. before opening the manual i decided i wanted my rear height at 12.75"... according to the manual that's lower than the lowest setting (which i'm certain is a typo, as thats a pretty conservative drop)
I have it about half way on my car on both sides. That took me about 5 turns total.

I will try to measure the rear height as soon as I can. But I can tell you that before the drop I was about to stick two fingers (vertically positioned) straight between the tire and the wheel well. Now I can not even stick a finger in between the tire and the wheel well (both vertically or horizontally)

Quote:
thanks! did you experience an unusual amount of spinning in the top piece against the chassis when you were adjusting? i wonder why they say that...
I did but only on the driver side. That is why I put a mark on the chassis of the car, a mark on the black top piece against the chassis, and a mark on the purple piece. This way I can clearly see what is spinning and where everything is aligned.
      05-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #8
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep

Quote:
I have it about half way on my car on both sides. That took me about 5 turns total.

I will try to measure the rear height as soon as I can. But I can tell you that before the drop I was about to stick two fingers (vertically positioned) straight between the tire and the wheel well. Now I can not even stick a finger in between the tire and the wheel well (both vertically or horizontally)

I did but only on the driver side. That is why I put a mark on the chassis of the car, a mark on the black top piece against the chassis, and a mark on the purple piece. This way I can clearly see what is spinning and where everything is aligned.
big help. thanks! i'll use 5 threads as a starting point. i had a feeling starting with the minimum setting was absurd!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #9
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [5.66]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
hows everything working out? Did you get the drop you want?
      05-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #10
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep

Quote:
hows everything working out? Did you get the drop you want?
i'll post final measurements and calculations when the car is finished settling (maybe this weekend... i've been measuring daily, and it's still settling). the height specs in the manual are definitely off. the specs are close in the front... maybe off by like 1/4". in the back they're not even in the ballpark. probably off by almost an inch. thanks for the tip on rear height.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 10:56 AM   #11
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep

the car's finished settling, so i posted a write-up in the DIY forum, including an excel sheet with a ride height calculator.

in the end, the manual's suggestions for height turned out to be off slightly in the front, and dramatically in the rear. hope my DIY helps.
Appreciate 0