BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-16-2009, 08:56 AM   #23
Call
Call
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 08 & 07 X5, 05 MCSC

With where the damage occurred no way I keep the car. So in PA the insurance covers only your vehicle? How does not effect further obligation of the person who causes an accident? For example, usually a person's insurance covers a limited amount with or without a deductable. Any amount over the coverage obligates the person who causes the accident. Of course in most cases you have to sue them for those excess amounts but in your case if the insurance company doesn't cover replacing the vehicle completely it would be worth it.

The damaged parts on your ONE are not all bolt-ons so some cutting and welding will be necessary. If it was just the fender and door, no big deal but the rear panel is going to be a bitch because of where the damaged occured in the doorway plus the airbags.

Sorry but the only real value you car would have for me would be parts which may also effect the insurance company's decision to total it. They may get you a new car and be able to sell your damaged car and come out better. Let's hope that is what they do. Good luck.

Call
      05-16-2009, 09:07 AM   #24
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw4ng View Post
.. sorry to see that man. hope you get it back on Monday
Monday? It might be a Monday, but perhaps in July or August! This will require a major amount of work, both exterior as well as interior, not to mention repainting most of the car, aligning the unibody etc. Parts will have to come from Germany. You have to hope whoever is working on it knows what they are doing. Problems will arise when this car is a few years old where the welds will be performed. You will get cracks in the paint, caused by corrosion in the weld unless it is done by the absolute best shop who know what they are doing. The least bit of bad prep will rear its head and be noticable in a couple of years.

That is why I would fight for a replacement vehicle if it were me. Especially if the other driver is ruled 100% at fault. I'm hoping that the light was solid green when you entered the intersection? Do you have witnesses?

Last edited by Lester; 05-16-2009 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #25
bmrdude3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

yup I have a bunch of witnesses. Luckily my friend from high school was at the intersection(stopped at red) and came out to check. He didn't know I got a new car so it was another surprise when he came over.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2009, 11:58 AM   #26
1013mm
aka 1013MM
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: pokingly flush

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.26]
its going to be around 15k of damages and your insurance will go up. try to get the money you can out this whole thing, it may sound greedy but thats what you should do it was a brand new car..... and in the long run if you just fix it its probably going to cost you... if this makes sense.
      05-16-2009, 01:03 PM   #27
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
If the other driver was issued a citation his insurance should not go up. He needs to read the fine print on his policy. It should define how an accident would effect his rates. Generally, if the other driver is legally at fault, the 'victim's' insurance company would just as soon let the perpetrator's insurance handle the entire affair and not even get involved.
      05-17-2009, 12:42 AM   #28
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

this is sickening. i hope all turns out well for you. i would go after a completely new car and then civilly for injuries
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 01:46 AM   #29
backtoreality15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

I'd say $5-8k in damages...
      05-17-2009, 02:10 AM   #30
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

dear god, 3 days and this happens? That's awful! Sorry to hear about this man, stupid ppl on the street not knowing how to drive, always pisses me off.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 09:01 AM   #31
Midgad
Free Skier
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe, 6MT, M-Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagekicker View Post
OMG! dude, soo sorry to hear that. that is my biggest nightmare. get an attorney and go after that bad ass driver.
Sorry to hear of your incident.
Totally Sucks!!.
But, while it sucks, as long as you are OK is the only thing that is important.
As the post above mentions "biggest nightmare", this is bs compared to a real nightmare...serious illness or injury!!
As a father of a child who has undergone 2 open heart surgerys, this is nothing.
Gotta keep things in perpsective. It sucks but your alive. Metal can be fixed or replaced, we cant!! Also anything that costs only $$ to fix should never stress you out. (sorta telling myself that too.)
btw... she's 16, and thankfully doing nicely.
..just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 09:11 AM   #32
scorcherjf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
That really sucks man. I had a really similar accident in my old 330, ended up being over 8k in repairs, so I'm going to ballpark this will be over 10k. If the other driver is legally at fault (and cited in the police report) your insurance will not go up. What I did in my case was claimed everything with my insurance, and my insurance company claimed from the other party's insurance. Also, I had to get a rental for 2 weeks while it was being repaired (took about a month for all the repairs) which was covered by insurance. Between the car being towed to the shop, then an adjuster from the insurance company coming out to assess all the damages and make up a list of every single part to be ordered, and the parts finally coming in, repairs didn't actually start for over 2 weeks. =(

Sorry to say but the car will never be the same, no matter how good of a shop you go to.
      05-17-2009, 09:14 AM   #33
Midgad
Free Skier
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe, 6MT, M-Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
Especially if the other driver is ruled 100% at fault
Comparatible Negligence!!
Even if he is 0% at fault, just by the mear fact that he was there makes him somewhat responsible.
The only way he will be 0% responsible would be if it were a "rear ender".
The insurance companys will fight as to who is more liable for the accident, then pay according to those two words...
comparatible negligence.
Not a lawer, but did stay in a Holiday Inn last night!!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #34
bozola
Unloved BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe, 3 318Ti

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [10.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [10.00]
2008 128i  [9.00]
Sorry to see this. Glad you are OK.

It's only metal sure.. but that doesn't mean it doesn't suck.

Good Luck. and .. go see a doctor.

Document document document.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 10:55 AM   #35
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

When the light turns Yellow - Decision Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgad View Post
Comparatible Negligence!!
Even if he is 0% at fault, just by the mear fact that he was there makes him somewhat responsible.
The only way he will be 0% responsible would be if it were a "rear ender".
The insurance companys will fight as to who is more liable for the accident, then pay according to those two words...
comparatible negligence.
This type of accident usually indicates that someone was going into a yellow light. There is very little reason for a driver to compete a left turn directly into the drivers door of an oncoming car, if the oncoming car had a straight through on a green light. I'm not saying that this did or didn't happen in this case, but experience tells me what could have happenend.

Let's be honest, we have all done it. There is that moment of indecision. The light just turned yellow, if we gun it - we can still make it through. (Especially if we are young and have three friends in the car with us).

The driver on the other side turning left, sees the light turn yellow, and because they also want to complete their turn before the traffic going the other way turns green - they proceed, assuming the oncoming traffic is going to stop. They are not expecting the oncoming car to scoot through on the yellow.

So - as you get more experience - you start to look for cars turning left as you approach intersections. How agressive are they? Are the wheels already turned, are they stanced like a cat, ready to pounce? Or are they holding back? Have they already made the comittment? These things are important indicators.

Left turns at intersections without left turn arrows, or flashing green are one of the biggest causes of accidents. If I was in charge of the world, I would make left turns illegal everywhere, except where you have signals dedicated for that purpose. :-)

In the meantime, you also have to be aware of traffic behind you. When the light turns yellow, is there an idiot in an F350 behind you who will rear end you if you do make a sudden stop?

I am constantly surprised and amazed when I do push it a little on yellows, then I notice that the vehicle behind me - and the one behind that one - also went through. Of course, by the time they went through - it was already red.

Who is at fault in these cases - it is sometimes hard to determine. But certainly, hitting the drivers door of an oncoming car is an inexcusable piece of bad driving.

I have 40+ years of accident free driving, most of my close calls were in the first five years. I can only advise you to always be on the lookout for people doing stupid things on the road. Be aware of your environment. Don't follow too close, and don't take chances. Constantly check your mirrors, and keep them adjusted so you don't have blind spots (if you can see the sides of your car while driving, then your mirrors are not adjusted properly and you will have blind spots).

Good luck, and drive safely!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 11:59 AM   #36
bmrdude3
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for everyones input. But to clear up what happened we were both stopped at red lights and when the light turned green I had the right of way and she just gunned it without braking into me while trying to make a left. She was ticketed BTW
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 10:07 PM   #37
twinturbo135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

no offense but I wouldn't want to keep that car after that mess. I'd fight hand over foot with the insurance company to either total it or get it replaced.

I'm telling you...... even after they fix your car, it will NEVER be the same.

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 10:12 AM   #38
bmrdude3
Private First Class
Rep

OK got the grand total without a tear down inspection and it came to $11k : ( I'm going to fight for reimbursement check for loss in resale value but since the engine was not touched i doubt I'll get a replacement
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 10:33 AM   #39
Artmasterx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Garage List
2006 Volvo V70R  [10.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrdude3 View Post
Thanks for everyones input. But to clear up what happened we were both stopped at red lights and when the light turned green I had the right of way and she just gunned it without braking into me while trying to make a left. She was ticketed BTW
Sounds like the stupid "massachusetts left", which coming from NC orginally was quite a surprise.

Basically at some intersections without dedicated turn arrows, people will take a quick left before the oncoming straight traffic go through the intersection (read impatient assholes). Obviously it is completely illegal.

One time, we were first in line at a light and planning to turn left. Being conscientious drivers, we were waiting for the straight traffic to come through the intersection. However, the asshole behind us decided he was in hurry and pull a Massachusetts left from behind us in line, cutting off the oncoming cars. What a tool.

Apparently they have a Pennsylvania version as well...

FORMERLY: 128i coupe
Alpine White | Sports Package | Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 12:54 PM   #40
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Had a similar situation few years back in West LA. Lights gone green and driver on the opposite direction decided to gun it and make a quick left. I lifted throttle and braked and at this point he was blocking my lane so I signaled for him to go first. Of course his carelessness got the best of him. He made the left without checking the lane to my right and as soon as he proceeded he was greeted by a full size truck head on. His car was t-boned at 30-40mph and pushed into a street lamp.

I hope he's okay but he drove like an idiot what else can you expect?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 10:54 PM   #41
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmasterx View Post
Sounds like the stupid "massachusetts left", which coming from NC orginally was quite a surprise.

Basically at some intersections without dedicated turn arrows, people will take a quick left before the oncoming straight traffic go through the intersection (read impatient assholes). Obviously it is completely illegal.

Apparently they have a Pennsylvania version as well...
Still - how the hell do you drive into someone's door while turning left? Morons like that should not be allowed on the road. Crazy!

Last edited by Lester; 05-21-2009 at 07:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 11:43 PM   #42
turbobum
Family Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: White '09 135i

You're about to find out why BMWs are so expensive to insure.

Hope your rates don't go up, even though you're clearly not at fault, the insurance company will get their money back, just give them a little time.

Sucks that you didn't get to enjoy the car a bit more.
      05-21-2009, 05:07 PM   #43
bmrdude3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobum View Post
You're about to find out why BMWs are so expensive to insure.

Hope your rates don't go up, even though you're clearly not at fault, the insurance company will get their money back, just give them a little time.

Sucks that you didn't get to enjoy the car a bit more.

I tried to insure under my name and it would have cost $4k/year. I ended up insuring it under my mom and had me as a main driver which brought it to $725/year! Can't wait to see the change after this mess but I don't think/ hope it will raise much because the women who hit me is at fault. BTW they said I'll have my car in three weeks. I'm not holding my breath
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 11:31 AM   #44
soohoolm
Rep

OMG I'm not even an owner yet ,but I feel for you! Tell me her car was totaled. I had to take an anger management class 1 session when a drunk driver turned into me one Sunday Morning . He was trying to go to a liquor store. I was trapped inside on the driver's side had to go out of the rear door. I was so PO'd all I could see was my son's car seat and my other son's bat.... the rest as they say is history! Hope everything works out for you.
Appreciate 0