BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-23-2021, 04:31 PM   #1
WrathOTM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Interior trim wrapped in 3M wood vinyl

Howdy y'all

First thread here. Just wanted to share some pics from one of my first mods to my car. The high-gloss black trim was in OKish shape when I got my car a month ago (at 62k), but I wasn't super impressed with it. The black interior with black trim was kind of bland to me so I'm now experimenting with some wrap. This is 3M metallic ebony wood #777 wrapped over the high-gloss stuff and the lowest portion of the HVAC carrier plastic. It has a something of a wood texture to it and doesn't immediately feel like vinyl when touched. I like it but I'm not super impressed with it. I'll try some glossy spalted-maple wood in the nearish future. I'm looking for a dark gray/black type wood that imitates the flame-maple surface you see on high(er) end guitars and basses. But I have yet to find a manufacturer that makes a wrap like that yet. Here are a couple pics to start.
If anyone needs the details on how I did this I can add them. I did this about two weeks ago and waited to see how it held up. As I learned some glue along the edges helps it from trying to peel back. But the main tip is that you need 5-15 mm wrapped under the plastic so stays pinned down by the plastic once in place.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 09:48 PM   #2
cjb762
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is, MG 6MT

Great work! I personally think the matte finish wood trim looks significantly better than the gloss - just my opinion...

Last edited by cjb762; 08-07-2021 at 12:07 AM..
Appreciate 0