BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-24-2008, 08:10 AM   #1
reynard082
Rep
Drives:

Rear Bumper Bike Rack

Hey Everyone -

I'm currently debating between the thule roof rack and the bmw rear-bumper bike rack.

I got all the documentation on the thule rack.

Does anyone have documentation for the bumper rack beyond what the brochures have? I can only find pictures and little short descriptions...

Anyone got any connections? I'm looking for anything...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
kosmoHR
Rep
Drives: 128 "nothingburger" coupe

Bump

Bump.

I'm also looking for any firsthand experience and/or info on the BMW rear mount bike carrier.

I spec'd the factory prep for the rack (only $75), so am hoping to avoid the need for a trailer hitch for a rear rack.

The dealer knows little, and the pix and info on BMW's site are scant.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 09:45 PM   #3
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

sure hope something is posted... Is the rack a BMW part? You have more info than I, who have only seen the image in the catalog... do you know how it actually mounts?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 08:42 AM   #4
john08135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M Sport, 2010 bmw S1000RR

Why not the BMW roof rack?
The rear rack is very expensive.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Yeah, I'd vote for the roof rack. I've had one (a Thule, not the more expensive, made by Thule OEM one) for my M Coupe for seven or eight years and it's great. It bolts into the couplings under the flaps in the rain rails, so it doesn't touch any exposed paint, it only takes a moment to put on or remove and you can use any trays you want, making accommodating a 29er, a thru-axle or other tricky bikes easier and I can also use a cargo tray to carry all four track wheels and tires. I can check and see if the Thule 753 fits on the 1er, I'd bet it does, I just haven't tried yet. Just for reference, the Thule 753 is $170 - $210 online, and I think I got mine for less than that.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 11:04 AM   #6
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

The roof rack will interfere with performance far more than a rear one, for what it's worth.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
JHZR2
Major
Rep

and fuel economy!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 11:10 AM   #8
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

^ Po-TAY-to/Po-TAH-to.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 11:31 AM   #9
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
The roof rack will interfere with performance far more than a rear one, for what it's worth.
This is an important consideration if you plan on leaving the rack on. I see about a 5% change when there's nothing but the rack and trays on the roof, and about a 20% change in mileage when hauling two bikes (which with the small tank on both of my cars, really sucks). But I've learned to not leave it on unless I'm moving wheels or bikes.

I've been rear ended three times while stopped at lights, I've never had a car hit the roof of my car. Of course you can drive into your garage with a hitch rack, while it's a little trickier with a roof rack.

I like aspects of both, but for my needs, it's boiled down to cars having roof racks and SUV's having hitch racks. I also prefer the added versatility of a roof rack, I can carry my bikes, skis and boards and my wheels and tires.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 12:10 AM   #10
kosmoHR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHZR2 View Post
sure hope something is posted... Is the rack a BMW part? You have more info than I, who have only seen the image in the catalog... do you know how it actually mounts?
Yup, BMW, on their website. Not sure of the PN. I ordered the car with the rear rack prep ($75), so it should go on easily.

But I might go the small hitch route instead (http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2008_BMW_135i.htm), so I can choose any rear rack that suits my fancy.

If the roof racks had more fore/aft distance between them, I'd go that way, but I take them on and off fairly often. With the short spacing, that means full length wheel trays, which complicates rack installation and removal.

Nine weeks to figure it out. Looks be darned, I wish the couple had "Euro-rails" for racks like my 325iT did! No stronger, simpler system out there, and NO chance of affecting the paint.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 12:19 AM   #11
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

Roof rack can't be used in cabriolet. I am thinking to get wheels off my bike and put them in trunk and the frame on back seat. It should work.
      05-06-2009, 01:03 AM   #12
Gogud
Private
Rep
Drives:

Refer to the attachment for some numbers. The mounting kit is very well engineered (as expected) and rather complicated. A template is used to mark the places where slots need to be cut in the bumper. Plugs fit into the slots when dismounted. If your parts man is cool, he can print out the whole shebang (33pages). There are also another 23 pages of instructions for the ski/snowboard/bike rack. If you plan on carrying heavy bikes like beach cruisers, you won't want to put them on the roof. Roof racks may be worse for aerodynamics than rear racks (I've never tried them), but a rear rack loaded with bikes feels like you have a garage door strapped to the back of your car. You can definitely feel it! No, I don't have a rack on my 135. I used a modified Hollywood rack on an E36 for years and will soon rig it up on an E46. I prefer stealth mounts where no ugly receiver or other hardware is visible when the rack is off.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 08:13 AM   #13
john08135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M Sport, 2010 bmw S1000RR

WOA.. you need to cut hole in the bumper for this?
I wondered how they were going to mount this rear rack...

Very glad i chose the bmw roof base support.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 07:41 PM   #14
kosmoHR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by john08135i View Post
WOA.. you need to cut hole in the bumper for this?
I wondered how they were going to mount this rear rack...

Very glad i chose the bmw roof base support.
Luckily, I had stumbled upon the "rear rack prep" option before I ordered the car. At only $75, it is a worthwhile gamble, even if I don't end up going that route.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #15
JHZR2
Major
Rep

Well, what would be neat now is to see pics of 135i cars with a trailer hitch device
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 06:25 PM   #16
CRA1G
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
South Africa
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

I have a removable hitch fitted on my 135i coupe. No bumper cutting required. I fit a 3 bike Thule rack that works like a charm.

I'll get some pics up soon for those who are interested.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 07:17 PM   #17
kosmoHR
Rep

Hitch

Here is a link to what appears to be a well-priced, unobtrusive, easily installed hitch: http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2008_BMW_135i.htm

There is a thread on this forum or the B-Fest forum showing pix of the hitch after installation. I'll see if I can find it again.

So the dealer is telling me that the BMW bumper rack plugs into the optional bumper fittings I ordered, then locks on. Sounds cool. He isn't sure if the front wheel, seat post, or down tube of the bike is clamped into the rack, though, and has just decided to order the rack and let me take a look at it.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 08:53 PM   #18
kosmoHR
Rep

Some new information I can pass along.

I got the installation manual for the bumper rack. It looks very well thought out, and uses a fairly "soft" looking arm/padded cradle/strap to grip a tube on the bike frame. It does not use any clamping mechanism that could put too much pressure on frame tube. Each wheel is fixed in place with two straps and a wheel cradle. I don't think it's going anywhere.

On a trip out of town, I found a BMW salesman that knew a bit about both the roof rack and bumper rack, since he is a biker and monkeyed around with both racks at the car's rollout a while back.

He thought both rack systems were well thought out, and confirmed that NOTHING touches paint on either.

He said that once you put two bike rails on the roof rack, it would be tricky to take the rack system off or put it back on without help, or risk bumping paint.

He said that putting the bumper rack on and off by yourself was very easy, and that it collapsed flat for storage when off the car.

Finally, the trunk on a 1 Series will open when bikes are on the bumper rack.

Hope some find this info useful!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 04:28 PM   #19
TopDowninPgh
Registered
Rep
Drives: '08 SB 135i vert

My Initial Experiences with the BMW rear mount bike rack

I've had the rack for a little over 2 weeks now.

First off, my 135i vert did not have the $75 rack prep - SA3AR. The $75 is a BARGAIN for anyone considering the bike rack option. The install kit and dealer installation is very expensive. My dealer had not done one of these installs before and they took a long time (but got it right). They in fact cut two rectangular holes in the bumper. But the holes are finished nicely and have two plastic covers that snap in place when the rack isn't in use.

It's a shame BMW doesn't provide more information on rack option. Here is the information provided by my dealer after I purchased. (They didn't seem to have much info on it either beforehand)

For the most part, it is a nice design - the bike's wheels are strapped into the tire trays and the top tube is held by a rubber padded strap.

But there are problems in execution. I just lost one bolt and nut assembly after it backed itself out of its nut from normal road vibration. So my rack is currently unuseable! I'm working with the parts department to try to get a replacement bolt/nut assembly. I am also fight a few rattles from the rack when the bike is not installed

I can send pics if anyone is interested. The mounting holes for now...the installed rack and bike when I get the new bolt.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf rack instructions.pdf (2.69 MB, 1024 views)
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 09:50 PM   #20
JHZR2
Major
Rep

Please post pics of the rear of your car with the rack installed, not installed and plugs out, then not installed with plugs in.

Really interested to see!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 09:41 PM   #21
TopDowninPgh
Registered
Rep
Drives: '08 SB 135i vert

bike rack pics

Here you go.
Covers on, covers off, rack on no bike, rack on with bike
Attached Images

Appreciate 0