BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-15-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

KW V2 owners...some questions

what settings do you have it at for dampening? also, on my older V2's for the e46, there were no visual points for drop, so is there something in these new versions that shows you how much "drop" you have, or is it trial and error?

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

For our E92, we have it set at half way. The best way to check is turn the shock either full stiff or full soft, then spin each shock an equal number of degrees so they are all identical.

For the drop, we counted the number of threads on each shock to make sure it was all even.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
For our E92, we have it set at half way. The best way to check is turn the shock either full stiff or full soft, then spin each shock an equal number of degrees so they are all identical.
yep, that was my default method as before, but didn't know if these new ones had some visual points like the PSS10's, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW
For the drop, we counted the number of threads on each shock to make sure it was all even.
so how do you know how much to drop it? did you do trial and error? (count the threads, put them on, if too high, take out again, redo?)

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 04:07 PM   #4
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Exactly although you can adjust the height without taking the perches or front shocks out.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 05:30 PM   #5
philaf_666
Philaf_666
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post
what settings do you have it at for dampening?
I started using 50% front and back, but still felt it was too soft even though the body roll and overall feeling and handling was greatly improved.

Then I tried 90% front and back and that was it for me, the perfect setting. Yes it's quite stiffer than original, but not that stiff. To compare, it almost feels like my 06 STI.

The car feels balanced during cornering, the front doesn't go up during hard acceleration and doesn't go down when braking hard.

The road in Montreal (Canada) are pretty bad so I guess it will be even better for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 06:36 PM   #6
modbargains
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i & 01 Toyota Avalon

Make sure that either end of your car is lifted (front end or rear) for whichever side you're adjusting. The coilovers do not have to be removed, just loosen the locking collars. I usually use a tape measure and go by mm. Also remember that once you lower it back down drive the car back and forward for a bit to let the springs set in again.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 06:57 PM   #7
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
I just installed some v3's over the weekend (I know they aren't v2's but I figured I'd share anyway). The range for the dampening is between 3 and 18 clicks (lower being stiffer). I set it to 8 and that seems fine for now, although it's been raining, so I haven't had a chance to fully test things out. I think I might go a click or two stiffer.

On the v3's there is also an adjustment for bump and that is set a 1/4 turn increments (although you could do less) with a range of 2 full turns. Starting at full stiff I backed if off 3/4 of a turn.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0