BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-23-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
bigmicj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i + M240iX

afe or K&N which is better?

Just curious if anyone has swapped out the air filter with either one of these yet? I'm considering getting the BMW performance intake (which comes with a K&N filter) and I was curious if it was even worth picking up the afe and using that instead?

Any insight would be great
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #2
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

I am a fan of the aFe setup. I run their Dual Cone intake on my car and have had great feedback from customers running their filters and intakes on the whole range of BMW's line.

After visiting aFe's factory this past week, I am thoroughly impressed with the amount of R&D and quality that goes into manufacturing each piece. They individually test each intake and filter using a custom built flow machine, dyno and filtration test to ensure back their claimed gains and filtration numbers. All of their filters and intakes are designed, engineered and produced in house using a combination of 3D modeling, CNC machined molds (they own 2 CNC machines) and computerized production line. Have a look at our write up, it will really change the way you look at aFe.

Jlevi SW Tour of aFe's Manufacturing Facility
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 06:34 PM   #3
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' BSM E82

+1 on what nick posted, i ran their drop-in filter for a month before swapping it out for their dual cone setup. i really noticed performance and gas mileage gains from it, you wont be disappointed with it!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 06:56 PM   #4
bigmicj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for sharing your pics Nick. I posted this after viewing your thread and the afe factory looks impressive.

I'm just curious if there is much difference between the K&N drop in unit and theirs.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 07:03 PM   #5
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep

Craig, our account rep who gave us the tour over at aFe made some noticeable comparisons. For one, you will notice the grooves on the CNC urethane molds for the filters, this helps keep the filter element 100% even which is something unique to aFe. The element will not be inset crooked and ensures that each piece is produced identically. Their filters are also sand and flow tested to maximize air flow and engine filtration which is a rarity for filter replacements. They custom built their own testing machines to ensure they could do this type of research. The other thing that makes their filters unique is that the urethane coating around the outside of the filter is 100% even across the filter. If you look at some other brands, you will notice the urethane drips down 1/4-1/2" into the filter element in some places and not others. aFe's mold design allows for consistent urethane coatings around the edge of the filter to maximize air flow across the element.

While these seem minor, these are details that IMO set aFe apart and are a testament to the level of R&D put into each system.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 03:23 AM   #6
bigmicj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Great, thanks for the details Nick! I think I just might have to order an afe when I get the performance intake.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 11:29 AM   #7
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep

No worries, I'm running their intake on my car so feel free to drop me a PM with any questions.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 12:11 PM   #8
mr7868
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X1

Will the Dual Cone intake void the warranty?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 06:49 PM   #9
M II
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr7868 View Post
Will the Dual Cone intake void the warranty?
Nope.

If they do, then you can report the dealership and their service department for violating the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act directly to BMW North America.

It can be a pain, but this type of issue doesn't just happen to BMW owners. This is the case for all vehicles and for all the owners planning to mod their vehicles.

The dealership must prove that the questioned part was the cause of the problem and if they do not, you have a case against them for violating a Federal law that protects consumers against these very types of issues.

They even have entire organizations devoted to protecting this market by educating the public about modifications and how they can be beneficial - one good example would be SEMA.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 09:47 AM   #10
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

The reference to Magnusson-Moss is interesting. I googled it and it is potentially usefull from at least a couple standpoints. First, it prohibits disavowing the implied warranty of merchantability. For a car, this means that regardless of what else the manufacturer says, they have warranted that if they sell you a car, it is fit to be used as a car. So if it doesn't run, it would seem to violate this warranty. If the radio didn't work, it probably still violates but you might get an argument.

Another useful thing about this federal law is the linkage it makes to a manufacturer trying to demand you use their parts and tie-in sales. Tie-in sales, requiring you to buy something else to be able to buy what you want, are generally illegal in the U. S.. Magnusson-Moss specifically states that a manufacturers attempt to disavow an express warranty on the basis that you put parts in other than from them represents a tie-in sale and is illegal. They can only do this if they can prove that their parts are the only ones that will work.

I would not think Magnusson-Moss covers a denial of a warranty claim for damage to a piston from the over-boost of a performance chip but I think it would prevent BMW from refusing to do any work on the car because it has a performance chip. I think they would be required to do the work but could charge you for it if they could show that the damage was from the chip.

Jim
      05-26-2010, 10:24 AM   #11
supraking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe 6MT

Garage List
2009 128i Coupe  [0.00]
While I see the general preference in this thread is to the aFe, I'll share my experience with the K&N. Went in easily and had no problems with seal, leaks, etc. Just replaced the stock filter.

A lot of people recommend K&N as well. I think we're sort of comparing apples to apples, and no matter which filter you put in, you're going to get the same (minimal) performance gain.

I actually installed a full CAI so if anyone wants my K&N filter, it's yours for $40 (used for about 150 miles).
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 11:00 AM   #12
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep

K&N is also a solid brand but what turned me off was the lack of detail to the filter. aFe is one of the few companies that casts their filters with a urethane molding that is held in with metal combs so that the urethane does not drip down into the filter element. It may seem trivial but actually substantially blocks air flow and would not maximize performance. Not to mention it looks sloppy to have urethane runs down the sides of your mold.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #13
M II
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
The reference to Magnusson-Moss is interesting. I googled it and it is potentially usefull from at least a couple standpoints. First, it prohibits disavowing the implied warranty of merchantability. For a car, this means that regardless of what else the manufacturer says, they have warranted that if they sell you a car, it is fit to be used as a car. So if it doesn't run, it would seem to violate this warranty. If the radio didn't work, it probably still violates but you might get an argument.

Another useful thing about this federal law is the linkage it makes to a manufacturer trying to demand you use their parts and tie-in sales. Tie-in sales, requiring you to buy something else to be able to buy what you want, are generally illegal in the U. S.. Magnusson-Moss specifically states that a manufacturers attempt to disavow an express warranty on the basis that you put parts in other than from them represents a tie-in sale and is illegal. They can only do this if they can prove that their parts are the only ones that will work.

I would not think Magnusson-Moss covers a denial of a warranty claim for damage to a piston from the over-boost of a performance chip but I think it would prevent BMW from refusing to do any work on the car because it has a performance chip. I think they would be required to do the work but could charge you for it if they could show that the damage was from the chip.

Jim
Now YOU have the right idea! Don't let them take you for fools at the dealerships - know your rights!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 08:57 PM   #14
sb335is
Captain
Rep
Drives: fast

my buds picking up a k&n air filter for his n52 tomorrow.... for 50 bucks you can't beat it.

I just installed a KN DCI and I'm lovin it. for 110 its a lot cheaper (And bigger) than the BMS and I think its superior personally. Its much bigger and theres none of that inner cone stuff going on. I liked the INJEN but figured id need a new plenum and the AFE was really nice but for 370 bucks I couldn't swallow it. gains probably are better with higher temps and engine heat but I didn't really get it for the gains- I got it for the sounds.

And thanks for the warranty law. Will be interesting if i decide not to remove my DCI before service
      09-13-2010, 08:27 PM   #15
evilstib
Bimmer Newbie
Canada
Rep
Drives: CSM N54 Prem/Comf/Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraking View Post
While I see the general preference in this thread is to the aFe, I'll share my experience with the K&N. Went in easily and had no problems with seal, leaks, etc. Just replaced the stock filter.

A lot of people recommend K&N as well. I think we're sort of comparing apples to apples, and no matter which filter you put in, you're going to get the same (minimal) performance gain.

I actually installed a full CAI so if anyone wants my K&N filter, it's yours for $40 (used for about 150 miles).
I'd be interested in buying your filter. Can you PM me if it's still available? I just joined so the forum won't let me PM you. Sorry.
Appreciate 0