BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
TT1351
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135, GTS, E30 M3+

M3 front compmonents install, does this make sense?

Received my front end components from HP Autowerkes. Have thought a lot about the need for alignment following installation, which will be done, but in an effort to achieve a better rough alignment after the installation I was thinking of using a laser leveler to mark the original settings, projected onto a piece of white foam board as a baseline for both sides, installing one side at a time and setting the completed side back to the original mark, using the untouched side as a reference, once the first side is done, do the same procedure to bring the second side back into closer spec. I know this is not 100 % accurate, but will bring it closer then just trying to eyeball it, any thoughts, this will be done on a lift. Thanks in advance!
Fran
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 10:48 AM   #2
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

I just installed mine 2 weeks ago. As long as you go directly after to get your alignment done it's not worth wasting the time doing this. Just know you'll have drive extra careful afterwards. Don't plan on doing this one day and then doing the alignment the next day. Install took less than 2 hours including doing the cdv mod.
      06-30-2011, 10:48 AM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Sure why not! But... it will still be off.

When I replaced the tie-rods on my e36... I used a tape maesure and the thread grooves of the tires for refference. I thought I was being very good with my measurements. The toe was till way off. I had to eye-ball it... stepping away from the car and looking at how much toe the car had. I got it pretty close - as the car tracked straight... the the steering wheel was way off!!!

IF you take your car to a shop other than your dealer... don't forget to have your SZL sensor calibrated!BMW steering wheel sensor re-setting…

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504482

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 11:57 PM   #4
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Find a reputable shop to install ur mods that also has wheel alignment capabilities.

/thread
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 06:14 AM   #5
TT1351
Captain
Rep

Thank you sir for your brilliant idea, please pm me your credit card info and I will be glad to take you up on your suggestion. I have the ability, the tools and a lift and for some strange reason enjoy doing work such as this, myself. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
F
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 09:57 AM   #6
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1351 View Post
Thank you sir for your brilliant idea, please pm me your credit card info and I will be glad to take you up on your suggestion. I have the ability, the tools and a lift and for some strange reason enjoy doing work such as this, myself. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
F
Iphone has an app that can help you set alignment also, but I'm confused by this response. Are you saying you can't afford an alignment?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 11:14 AM   #7
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
You will definitely need a professional alignment up front after the M3 wishbone install...no question. Plus a good alignment can help realize the potential of the parts and improve the performance of the car. Looks like this is in your plans however, so I think your idea is great.

If you only have to go a few miles to the alignment shop then, maybe it is not necessary. I would just drive cautiously and have a friend follow you. If you have to drive more than that or on a highway or something, I think your idea is good. It will be severely out of alignment following the install. So if you think you can get the toe in better shape with this method, it should help you arrive at the shop safely. Only problem I see, is that being you are changing the length of the arm, the original mark on the board may not necessarily be the right toe setting with the new arms.

I've never heard of the SZL sensor calibration before, and it seemingly wasn't necessary on my car. In most DIY's this is not included as well. In the thread posted it doesn't sound like the OP had any changes to his control arms? I guess doing it is not difficult, and maybe my alignment shop knew to do this to the car. Anyways, good luck.

Tim

As an aside, installing the parts yourself is fun and informative. It feels like you've earned every modification on the car, and you know how it works. This is a fairly easy one also, so don't worry about doing it at home (especially since you have the lift). OP good luck with the install, just get that pro alignment done asap!

Last edited by timhatimay; 07-02-2011 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: Added info
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #8
TT1351
Captain
Rep

No I'm saying I want to do the work myself, once done I want to set the toe closer to what it should be, then have it aligned. I merely took exception to the fact that someone wanted me to dispense with the joy and and frustration derived by doing the install myself.
Fran
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #9
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
No I'm saying I want to do the work myself, once done I want to set the toe closer to what it should be, then have it aligned. I merely took exception to the fact that someone wanted me to dispense with the joy and and frustration derived by doing the install myself.
Fran
Thats what I thought, I think its a good plan. Like I said above if its short distance to the alignment shop, it may not be worth the effort, as it will likely still be far off. If you have a drive to get there, anything to improve the toe will help.
      07-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #10
TT1351
Captain
Rep

All good, thanks for your interest.
Fran
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #11
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

The M3 front arms knock the toe pretty far out of alignment, so I would suggest giving this a try. Even a short drive can be... interesting when the toe is way off.

Changing the toe is not a hard procedure, and I alter the settings all the time between street, track, and autocross settings.

At a minimum, you'll need a T50 torx bit, a 12mm (or 13mm, can't remember off hand) open end wrench, and some method to measure the toe to get it closer to range. Dackelone's method will work if you have nothing else to measure with. Having an inexpensive set of toe plates and two measuring tapes takes much of the guesswork out of the job, and I recommend them if you plan on making future changes (60 USD a set vs the cost of an alignment each time).

Some more info: http://www.longacreracing.com/articles/art.asp?artid=12 - there's links to the tools at the bottom if anyone's interested.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #12
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
Fran
Yeah, this is not a hard job. I used the "string" method to ruff it and it's worked long enough to get me to the alignment shop. Your laser method is essentially the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 12:55 AM   #13
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

I found that each of the tie rods needed about 3 full 360 degree turns outboard (to lengthen their effective length) to get the toe back in the ball park again. Be very careful to turn each the EXACT same amount if you want your steering wheel to stay straight...

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 0