Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

I like the passenger side map reading lamp mod, how much are they selling that
      11-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #46
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Why oh why do people insist on sticking spoilers all over a great car like the 1M.

It looks HIDEOUS!!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #47
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer View Post
Why oh why do people insist on sticking spoilers all over a great car like the 1M.

It looks HIDEOUS!!
Agreed. Sorry but this car is the puke
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 03:27 PM   #48
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
Agreed. Sorry but this car is the puke
+1
      11-10-2011, 10:29 AM   #49
Ohcrap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbr0wn View Post
I wonder if the trunk was really shut all the way. Other pictures had it lifted up so maybe they didnt close it completely? At least I hope that's what happened.
It wasn't shut all the way, we kept it open so we could show people the meth tank and Moton remote resevoirs without having to find whomever had the key at any moment.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 10:32 AM   #50
Ohcrap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Yes... I see why they did that... course.. surprisingly.. the mirrors are not CF...
CF mirrors are now available on the RevoZport website (and all RevoZport products for this car will soon be available from cp-e as their US distributor), as are several other bits like an interior trim kit, they just couldn't get them to us in time for SEMA.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 10:52 AM   #51
Ohcrap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastauto View Post
perfect. this is in my near future. is this a bolt on bar? where can i buy this?
It's a fully welded-in custom cage by Piper Motorsport out of Sterling, VA. They build some incredible race cars and cages are their specialty. I wasn't quite ready for a full cage (it was painful enough to mod the car to the degree it is now!) but after a few years of beating the car up, maybe I'll have them extend it forward into full SCCA spec.

I know the car this modded isn't for everyone, and probably kills the stock purists, which I certainly understand. I for one, just always fantasized about having a totally tricked out race-car(like) car and once I got one sponsor, this whole thing just sort of snowballed into what you see here.

Luckily for me, cp-e guided the work and made sure everything was done well and that we only used the best parts available (cp-e is really great and I trust them and their products explicitly). Still tuning and testing work to be completed but so far so good. It's funny, I've always wanted to do weekend track events but never have... in fact I haven't a clue what I'm doing... now I have a car that is sooooooo far beyond my driving skills... Yes, driving schools are in my immediate future this spring (I'll be the one driving embarrassingly slow in the highly modded car), as well as auto-x, shows and cruises. In any case, I'm looking forward to actually getting to drive my car and enjoy it, soon.

Oh, and some of you may have noticed in the parts list "15mm spacers" for 18x11 rear wheels? My fault, when I ordered the wheels from Forgeline I didn't allow for bigger brakes. So, they're going back to them this weekend for rebuild so I can run with no spacers.

I'll post more info on power, the tune, the meth, cp-e's upcoming inclosed intake, etc soon. Thanks for the nice comments and I hope to see many of you at DC/Mid Atlantic events in the coming year. Meanwhile, enjoy your cars!

Steve
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 11:06 AM   #52
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
Quote:
I'm sorry to say this and I know some people are probably going to hate me for it, but I don't really like it. It's almost like they threw a bunch of mods at the car just because, but the project as a whole doesn't flow. Call me biased, but I prefer the stock look of my ride.
+1.

Even if this had come off interesting, I don't really understand why there are so many teams working on a vehicle that has such a limited customer base. What's in it for them? All of this development and work for...maybe 20 CF sales or X# tunes?
      11-10-2011, 11:16 AM   #53
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1T2GRE View Post
Quote:
I'm sorry to say this and I know some people are probably going to hate me for it, but I don't really like it. It's almost like they threw a bunch of mods at the car just because, but the project as a whole doesn't flow. Call me biased, but I prefer the stock look of my ride.

Even if this had come off interesting, I don't really understand why there are so many teams working on a vehicle that has such a limited customer base. What's in it for them? All of this development and work for...maybe 20 CF sales or X# tunes?
Easy: every time a new application is released all these companies see an opportunity to make money. That's all this is about, even if the mods are tasteless or hurtful.

Luckily though, the customer base you mentioned is very cautious with this special little car (at least special to many of us), so I don't foresee a lot of this getting out there to the majority of the 1M's.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #54
Ohcrap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I’ve seen this odd question about why companies participate in builds for the 1M or make products for it, posted several times on 1-Addicts, probably by the same person, so I'll give you some basics on marketing, promotion, advertising, etc.

Companies, including those that make car parts, will often give a product away if they feel that it will be sufficiently seen in a variety of venues by enough people, to create brand awareness. And if the product placement is on a good show, or worn by a cool celeb, or say, installed on a nice car, it can create an association with something good, and can often translate into increased sales. In fact, even if a few people hate one of the celebs, or shows, or a vehicle they see it on, they remember it, and it can still translate into sales – similar to the annoying jingle on many TV commercials.

So for example, if Moton provides a set of coilovers for a 1M SEMA build, reasonably intelligent people may realize that not only will those parts fit on their car if they own a 1M, but maybe, just maybe, the company also makes coilovers for other BMW applications, or nah I say, for other car brands, or other types of vehicles entirely. For example, with the exception of the RevoZport front splitter and rear diffuser, most of the parts on the aforementioned car fit on other 1-series cars (that’s more than 20), all of the power mods on the car will fit on any N54 equipped BMW (yes, different maps; also more than 20); the Sparco seats will fit in almost any vehicle (a lot more than 20); the Performance Friction Brakes are made for a wide variety of vehicles(you guessed it, more than 20); Toyo makes tires for all sorts of vehicles (again, a few more than 20), etc. For more information, please Google, "what is advertising?" or "what is product placement?" or "what is marketing?” (But don’t worry, I'll save this post and refer you back to it the next time you post this same question later.)

And if you like your car stock, great, enjoy that but maybe bashing every company that dares make aftermarket options (an option, as in you don’t have to buy it if you don’t want to), on a forum who's conversations are mostly about aftermarket modifications, may not be the most logical perspective to have in a performance forum context. But hey, to each is his own. But if this is your perspective, perhaps a nice Toyota Camry forum would better suit your forum needs. I’m sure there are loads of riveting threads there about how comfy the stock seats are, how awesome the couch-on-wheels suspension is, how classically average the stock body lines are, or how well the stock gas mileage compares with that of your minivan. And here’s a really radical idea, crazy I know, but it is possible to see a product on the forums that you don’t like…. (wait for it)… and NOT be a complete ass about it (ironically, much like I’m being now, but then, I did just quit smoking [again] so I give myself a pass this one time). Another option you could consider, the age-old concept of “the unexpressed thought”…

As for the comment about "making money", YES, that's kind of the idea behind being in business; you know, making products, promoting them, trying to sell them at a profit; also known as capitalism… it’s what fuels an economy… makes cars like BMW possible. In fact I’m not sure if I’m aware of any car related companies that make cars or car parts as a community service. Profit and capitalism are good things; well, unless you’re a loser and can’t compete in any aspect of life like the morons in the “Occupy” movement and thus want the government to control and make everything equal regardless of one’s life choices, but I digress.

I apologize in advance, I’m a jerk today. Anyone have a smoke on them?

Last edited by Ohcrap; 11-10-2011 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #55
Maximus_Prime
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '12 Q5 2.0T, '06 Miata

Garage List
Ignore the haters ohcrap - mad props on going all out with your ride!! I think your car is exactly what a show car is supposed to be. I haven't seen any other 1M as bad@$$ as yours!

Is your car loud? Maybe, but so is a Valencia Orange paint job and yet nobody seems to complain about driving around an orange car. It seems like all people want to see is yet another 1M with BBS wheels to make them happy.

I'm glad to hear such good things about CP-e. I'll definitely be paying them a visit once my car arrives next month! Can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 06:35 PM   #56
deshields
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009M3

You are the first to rice out a 1m. Congrats
      11-10-2011, 11:35 PM   #57
Ohcrap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks Prime! Yeah, I suppose to each his own, Its my car, I like it as do many others, and for those that don't, no worries.

And yes, sponsorships are great but no matter how early you try to get things, it all comes at the same time, at the last minute. The carbon bits for example, yes mine have some gaps but what the morons here don't realize is that mine are all the very first prototypes fresh from the mold and shoved in the crates to make the 5-week trip to Maryland by our build deadline. The clearcoat on the hood wasn't even baked thus the huge flake that occurred when we cut the hood to install one of the Aerocatch hood pins. Revo knew there were issues but we couldn't wait so we got what we got; the production pieces were fixed before I even got mine in the mail. But hey, those with low self esteem probably need to feel like an expert so if pointing out the obvious does this for them, I'm glad we could help.

The wrap issues, that, like the wheels, my fault; the installer told me the angles were too complex for a single sheet around the hood creases and front bumper and that it would be better to go ahead and use some cut pieces but it was my call to chance that it would at least last until SEMA was over... fail! My fault, not SkinzWraps, they do great work and have been satisfying highend customers for many years.

As for the ricer comment, Dshields, I assume that of all the parts on the car, the wing is what "rices" it for you. Yup not for everyone, I"m not even sure I'll keep it on for daily driving and may instead mount the Revo trunk spoiler. But I love the other cf bits and the weight savings are a nice plus. The other parts are all high end race parts so I hope, hope, hope, they meet with your approval...because I would be crushed if you, a person I don't know who is likely dating his sister and still living with his parents, aren't completely happy with each and every part I chose. In fact from now on, I'll PM you and get your opinion before we make any more car decisions. In fact I was going to move some things around in my portfolio this weekend with my broker but I'll check with you on that too. You're my new best friend... congrats.

Last edited by Ohcrap; 11-10-2011 at 11:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 12:37 AM   #58
wkndwrrr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohcrap View Post
Thanks Prime! Yeah, I suppose to each his own, Its my car, I like it as do many others, and for those that don't, no worries.

And yes, sponsorships are great but no matter how early you try to get things, it all comes at the same time, at the last minute. The carbon bits for example, yes mine have some gaps but what the morons here don't realize is that mine are all the very first prototypes fresh from the mold and shoved in the crates to make the 5-week trip to Maryland by our build deadline. The clearcoat on the hood wasn't even baked thus the huge flake that occurred when we cut the hood to install one of the Aerocatch hood pins. Revo knew there were issues but we couldn't wait so we got what we got; the production pieces were fixed before I even got mine in the mail. But hey, those with low self esteem probably need to feel like an expert so if pointing out the obvious does this for them, I'm glad we could help.

The wrap issues, that, like the wheels, my fault; the installer told me the angles were too complex for a single sheet around the hood creases and front bumper and that it would be better to go ahead and use some cut pieces but it was my call to chance that it would at least last until SEMA was over... fail! My fault, not SkinzWraps, they do great work and have been satisfying highend customers for many years.

As for the ricer comment, Dshields, I assume that of all the parts on the car, the wing is what "rices" it for you. Yup not for everyone, I"m not even sure I'll keep it on for daily driving and may instead mount the Revo trunk spoiler. But I love the other cf bits and the weight savings are a nice plus. The other parts are all high end race parts so I hope, hope, hope, they meet with your approval...because I would be crushed if you, a person I don't know who is likely dating his sister and still living with his parents, aren't completely happy with each and every part I chose. In fact from now on, I'll PM you and get your opinion before we make any more car decisions. In fact I was going to move some things around in my portfolio this weekend with my broker but I'll check with you on that too. You're my new best friend... congrats.

From stalking as much as I have here, I really don't understand why majority of the forum jumps on the -> in response to mods with a visual impact

You may think stock looks better, but different strokes for different folks.
Just like how we don't all wear the same colors of pants and shirts, different people like different color combos.
No need to flame imo.
Especially if the mod improves over stock (carbon replacement parts, lighter/stronger rims, structural, aero, etc), don't like it, just don't do it to yours.

(Although full disclosure, I did puke a little in my mouth at the AW 1M with clown colored rims and the whale tail spoiler). But in my defense, that one is really out there, and I doubt the whale tail does anything but weight it down.

And also, I feel a lot of people see the spoiler, associate it with riced out Civics and thus go straight to the flaming. But there's really nothing rice about a spoiler that actually functions. It's a decently powered RWD car; not a 4 banger FWD econobox.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 07:17 AM   #59
wan888
Xman
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E93 323ci

Talking about the rice rear spoiler, how come nobody flame about the 1M MotorGP car with the EXACT same wing on. For street, maybe not everyone's cup of tea but if anyone drove the 1M hard on track before, I'm sure he'll beg to have that wing. Not to mention if the car has 450hp on wheels! You NEED grip!

From what I read above it looks more like a corporate competitor post than a true 1M user......

Anyhow, if u Like then "Like" if not then click another thread that you like. Why waste time here.
E93 323ci (converted to M3 look)
Z3M Roadster (race prep)
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #60
trancier
Rep
Drives: 1M, M3

Quote:
Another option you could consider, the age-old concept of “the unexpressed thought”…
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #61
jrivera952
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 series M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus_Prime View Post
Ignore the haters ohcrap - mad props on going all out with your ride!! I think your car is exactly what a show car is supposed to be. I haven't seen any other 1M as bad@$$ as yours!

Is your car loud? Maybe, but so is a Valencia Orange paint job and yet nobody seems to complain about driving around an orange car. It seems like all people want to see is yet another 1M with BBS wheels to make them happy.

I'm glad to hear such good things about CP-e. I'll definitely be paying them a visit once my car arrives next month! Can't wait!
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #62
JekyllNoMore
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1M

? Bonnet fit

Quote:
It wasn't shut all the way, we kept it open so we could show people the meth tank and Moton remote resevoirs without having to find whomever had the key at any moment.
Car looks fantastic! As you said, different strokes for different folks: I'm not the biggest fan of the rear spoiler... but other than that it looks WONDERFUL!

That being said, I'm curious as to whether you had any difficulties with the fitment of the hood. Did it fit well and easily or did it require some fiddling to get it to sit well?

Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 03:28 PM   #63
bimmer ///man
Captain
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:

Why are you so mad?

Yes, sponsorships are great but your car did the exact opposite of the desired outcome. Rather than bringing positive attention and drumming up sales, it made people that had been waiting quite a while, to write Revosport off. SEMA wasn't a "make it" venue but it certainly "broke it". I pointed out your car's flaws not because of a lack of self esteem but for the customers' general knowledge as many people have been interested in the developments.

While there were redeeming qualities of your car, overall it was distasteful. If the end goal was to brag about your modlist then you're winning.

Oh, BTW, I know you are running real trick race parts but you might want to reconsider who you entrust your car to. Whoever installed your $4500 dampers forgot bump stops. I run them on my Motons but I suppose bump stop delete could be another item to be added to your modlist as a weight savings.

It's a public forum, don't get so defensive. You said yourself that the quality of the prototypes was poor so don't get so bent about it when people point that out. First impressions are everything.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 11:16 PM   #64
wan888
Xman
Hong Kong
Rep

I've gathered some pictures to do some justice on the critiques of the quality of the products from revozport. I've spoke to CPE about the products seems to have a bit of a flaw and here's what replied;

The front lip is has only been fastened with a couple of screws loosely because the car will have to be load and off load from the trailer and they don't have time to bolt each and every screw. Which I can totally understand because with the Motons fitted, the car is really damn low! (you can see a picture here where the lip is actually supported by a bag or something at the bottom). No wonder why it looks a bit off.

Let's see some pictures of the products without the Vinyl Wrap

Here're some pictures of the Bonnet Vent area:

Here're some pictures of the Carbon Trunk fitted on the 1M:

Here're some pictures of the front lip installed on the 1M:

Z3M Roadster (race prep)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 02:39 AM   #65
wan888
Xman
Hong Kong
Rep

Quite right ...... why would any company out there waste time developing these things that won't even show off to anyone ... but VERY USEFUL!

Z3M Roadster (race prep)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 08:36 AM   #66
JJSchmooze
I'm on that Orange Crush
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe VOP ZCV ZPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
Paint, depending on color and the size of the car, weighs a bit over 20 lbs. White is a bit lighter than other colors (not kidding). The wrap weight will depend on the thickness, but the thin ones are generally in the low single digit lbs for the whole car.

If they skipped paint and primer on the carbon hood and trunk lid they might almost make up for the wrap on the rest of the car.

I'm not very impressed with the shut-lines on that carbon trunk lid. If that's the best they can do on the show car I fear for customer parts...
I have waited for this day to come, when you would finally put your two cents in on something you, my man, are DEAD WRONG in. As the son of the owner of an automotive bodyshop, for over 15 years may I add.... White is by far, the thickest, and heaviest pigment in the automotive toner spectrum. To further prove my point, when tinting a color to color match a vehicle, the best rule of thumb is you can re-tint and correct the mixed paint to go darker, never lighter, as white is too heavy. Hence, any white paint job with metallic MUST be three-stage, as the white pigment is too heavy to allow metal, or pearl toners to properly atomize and fall uniformly on the vehicle.

Stick to what you know.

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.” Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0