01-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Hidden gems in the 1M (tips & tricks)

-cj- wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
Are there any other hidden gems I don't know about? I always seem to discover something new about this car daily... Although I suspect in this case, I'm learning something new about a 135i
Hence, I start a separate thread dealing with this topic: small practical things you will not find in the 1M manual.

Some features I discovered only after the first days had passed:
  • a small deep rectangular storage pocket covered in black rubber, next to the steering column (left side); sunglasses almost fully fit in it; don't try credit cards though, because it's a bit tight to reach for the end of the pocket;
  • the interior part of the center console features a credit card or parking card holder;
  • the black map with car manual, cards, info, etc. perfectly fits vertically on the left hand side of the battery under the boot-cover inside the boot (discreetly stowed in a steady way + no loss of space inside the glove box);
  • a small scarf + small helmet can be decently stowed on the right hand side of the boot (eventually additionally fastened to the optional net): softly floating on the scarf and against the net in fast corners.
  • activating the steering wheel lock already before getting out of the 1M: after having pushed the stop button, open the driver's door and then push the stop button again; subsequently you'll hear the typical "schlack" sound and the dashboard fully switches off; why practical? well, you can now pull at the locked steering wheel to ease yourself out of the car (oh lazy me)

"Cubby" pocket left of steering-wheel:
Name:  Cubby.jpg
Views: 11818
Size:  54.6 KB

Card holder in center console:
Name:  CardHolder.jpg
Views: 10191
Size:  52.0 KB

///M Map under the boot-cover (without valuable identification docs thieves are looking for, of course ):
Name:  Map_Boot.jpg
Views: 5345
Size:  63.0 KB

Scarf + helmet:
Name:  12V_Boot.jpg
Views: 11811
Size:  62.3 KB
Name:  12V_Boot2.jpg
Views: 9444
Size:  60.0 KB

Last edited by Artemis; 09-24-2014 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: Added pictures
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
UnclePerkins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i (e90) TiAg

Sadly, US models do not get the small cubby to the left of the steering wheel you describe as a nice place for sunglasses.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
silvs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M VO

Aw man. I was looking forward to checking it out on my drive home today. =(
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

^^ Ditto! I was looking for a place for my sun glasses!

Did anyone else NOT get a cover for the storage area in front of the shifter? Mine is just an open area. In some of the vids I see, people have a door (Like on the M3s) covering that area.

Thanks for starting this thread Artemis!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Cool, I was looking for another place to store the manual.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Quote:

Did anyone else NOT get a cover for the storage area in front of the shifter? Mine is just an open area. In some of the vids I see, people have a door (Like on the M3s) covering that area.

I am thinking that North America cars did not get the little cover. I'm pretty sure you can buy the parts from BMW and fit it in there as I have thought about doing it just because it looks so much better.
2022 992 GTS| 7MT | Shark Blue
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
Artemis
Rep

Added pictures in the first post.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #8
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:

NA gets the open 'tray' while EU gets the ashtray w/door. I keep my sunglasses in the open tray in my car. Easy to get and put away, can't stand keeping them in the arm rest or glove box.

Name:  photo (1).JPG
Views: 10720
Size:  63.8 KB
      01-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you View Post
NA gets the open 'tray' while EU gets the ashtray w/door. I keep my sunglasses in the open tray in my car. Easy to get and put away, can't stand keeping them in the arm rest or glove box.

Attachment 633000
Werd. I like the open cubby.
      01-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
mrow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

In those other cars that door is an ashtray. BMW stopped selling cars with ashtrays in the US in '09-'10. They replaced it with just a little storage area. You can buy a retrofit kit but I prefer the storage area.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #11
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Series 1 m coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrow View Post
In those other cars that door is an ashtray. BMW stopped selling cars with ashtrays in the US in '09-'10. They replaced it with just a little storage area. You can buy a retrofit kit but I prefer the storage area.
But then you haven't got anywhere to stick your special edition badge like us Brits have.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #12
UnclePerkins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i (e90) TiAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
Werd. I like the open cubby.
+1. I had an '08 135i with the ashtray and I like the open space / tray better; I get more use out of it and it reminds me of similar open spaces / trays in the E30 dash. I do wish US-spec cars had the left-of-steering wheel cubby. It looks like it would be perfect for the garage opener in the absence of HomeLink . . . but that's another thread / repost.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #13
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Metak, the ashtray is not standart in EU cars, you can buy it as a stand alone option, you need to pay like 30 EUR in most local markets. The open storage area is standart like US, the difference in US you are not allowed to opt otherwise. imo the ashtray might look elegant to some eyes but it is not nearly big and useful inside. I myself also keep my sunglasses, plus some remotes under the sunglass box all the time. A perfect fit.

Another practical little detail, if you have EU car w/out Nav but with the storage package option then among other things you get a second cupholder in front of the standart one (which is almost useless because it is too behind and stays under the armrest). The way I use it I leave my mobile vertically in it for example. It could be a coin holder or could really be perfect location for a cup if you dare to drink in 1M too.

I love details Artemis! Great thread
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #14
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

My sunglasses fit very well in a shallow compartment in the middle of the drivers door compartment. It's just about perfect for a hard sunglass case. Are coupes the same?

Jim
      01-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #15
mrow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

On the subject of what we keep in the tray, I bought an extra long iPhone cable that extends to the tray and plug my iPhone in to it an leave it sitting in there while I drive and let the end of the cable rest there when I get out for quick access when I get back in.

I realize the standard white cable also reaches but it's tight. My longer one I can tuck in between the seat and the center console so you don't have it draped across the center console. I also got my cable in black so it blends in better.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #16
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Metak, the ashtray is not standart in EU cars, you can buy it as a stand alone option, you need to pay like 30 EUR in most local markets. The open storage area is standart like US, the difference in US you are not allowed to opt otherwise. imo the ashtray might look elegant to some eyes but it is not nearly big and useful inside. I myself also keep my sunglasses, plus some remotes under the sunglass box all the time. A perfect fit.
I didn't mean to imply it was standard. I guess I should have elaborated that it was an available 'option'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.MetakGetYourHeadOutOfYour.... View Post
NA gets the open 'tray' while EU gets the ashtray w/door as an option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Another practical little detail, if you have EU car w/out Nav but with the storage package option then among other things you get a second cupholder in front of the standart one (which is almost useless because it is too behind and stays under the armrest).......
Ozinaldo, the US cars have the '2nd' cupholder as well on non-Nav equipped cars. Mine is like that.
      01-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #17
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
My sunglasses fit very well in a shallow compartment in the middle of the drivers door compartment. It's just about perfect for a hard sunglass case. Are coupes the same?

Jim
Exactly where I put mine. Love the spot as its out of the way, useless for almost anything else and does a great job of holding them with or without a case.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #18
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Open tray (US) vs "Smoker's Package" (EURO).

Point taken: that open tray is indeed practical. However less discreet for prying eyes once you left the 1M (+ no cover to fit a "ONE Brave ///M" plaque).

As you correctly stated, "Smoker's Package" is standard here (not optional). The covered ashtray might be elegant, but is indeed worthless for storage (most only use it to store very small stuff: some change, cards, tissues, small pen, etc.). However, the fringe benefit of "Smoker's Package" is undoubtedly the 12V-socket. Three 12V-sockets in a 1M? Perfectly possible:
- front: ashtray (part of option 441 = Smoker's Package)
- front: under the armrest next to the USB port (probably part of option 6FL = USB)
- rear: inside the boot (right hand side) (part of option 493 = Storage Package)
Too much? Well, let's say it offers enough choices for simultaneously (re)charging electronic stuff ("Daddy, I wanna see «The Lion King» and «Cars 2» - can you plug in the cable, please").
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #19
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
Quote:
Open tray (US) vs "Smoker's Package" (EURO).

Point taken: that open tray is indeed practical. However less discreet for prying eyes once you left the 1M (+ no cover to fit a "ONE Brave ///M" plaque).

As you correctly stated, "Smoker's Package" is standard here (not optional). The covered ashtray might be elegant, but is indeed worthless for storage (most only use it to store very small stuff: some change, cards, tissues, small pen, etc.). However, the fringe benefit of "Smoker's Package" is undoubtedly the 12V-socket. Three 12V-sockets in a 1M? Perfectly possible:
- front: ashtray (part of option 441 = Smoker's Package)
- front: under the armrest next to the USB port (probably part of option 6FL = USB)
- rear: inside the boot (right hand side) (part of option 493 = Storage Package)
Too much? Well, let's say it offers enough choices for simultaneously (re)charging electronic stuff ("Daddy, I wanna see «The Lion King» and «Cars 2» - can you plug in the cable, please").
Thanks for clarifying. I didn't want to argue whether it was standard or not as I was not 100% certain!
      01-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #20
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post

Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
Exactly where I put mine. Love the spot as its out of the way, useless for almost anything else and does a great job of holding them with or without a case.
Werd.
I find it too shallow for my sunglasses.
I put my cell phone there. Once paired via BT, I don't need to touch it again until I get out of the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #21
ethanh8791
Supreme Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: crazy

Garage List
2007 VW GTI  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Not really hidden but one of the coolest things I like (please don't jump on me if this has been around for a while) is the little green loop inside the gas tank fill-up door to hold the cover when you're filling up. Every other car I've owned I am always hating having to rest the cover on side of the car against the paint.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 11:06 PM   #22
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanh8791 View Post
Not really hidden but one of the coolest things I like (please don't jump on me if this has been around for a while) is the little green loop inside the gas tank fill-up door to hold the cover when you're filling up. Every other car I've owned I am always hating having to rest the cover on side of the car against the paint.
Agreed. So functional, so elegant in its simplicity, so German.
Appreciate 0