BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-04-2017, 09:52 AM   #1
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Question Anyone with hood latches - halp

Hey all, I have my AeroCatch latches and my snazzy new CF hood that I'm all ready to carve into. Could use some input on hood latch pin installs.

Questions such as:
  • Where did you mount your latches on the hood? Tips for lining them up?
  • How flush is the fitment?
  • Where exactly did you bolt the pins in the engine bay?

I've done a lot of digging and found this thread from years ago but want to be sure I'm getting this right. I really don't want to f*ck up this hood, it was not cheap!

I also found this AWESOME write-up, for a different car but will definitely be useful. I'll be using this as a guide as well.
      04-04-2017, 10:21 AM   #2
Stewy_604
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i M-Sport

I've never installed a set myself. You'll need to determine where you want them left to right, you'll be limited with fore and aft given the location of the rad support / top rail.

Given the risks of ruining a rather pricey hood, I would probably have a professional handle the install. At least then you could have an "out" should something go awry.

I found this link for an Aero Catch install on an E46:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=815415
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 12:02 PM   #3
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

This looks like some very precise work here. I personally would have an experienced professional do this job but I'm sure you know your own skill level. I definitely know mine . It would end up costing you more if you have to have it repaired and re-done. Just trying to make sure you're thinking it through. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by Esteban; 04-04-2017 at 12:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 12:18 PM   #4
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewy_604 View Post
I've never installed a set myself. You'll need to determine where you want them left to right, you'll be limited with fore and aft given the location of the rad support / top rail.

Given the risks of ruining a rather pricey hood, I would probably have a professional handle the install. At least then you could have an "out" should something go awry.

I found this link for an Aero Catch install on an E46:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=815415
Thanks for the info and link! I think I'll be able to get the latches where I want them once I line up those pins. It looks like the rad support is the go-to for this install so I'll stick with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
This looks like some very precise work here. I personally would have an experienced professional do this job but I'm sure you know your own skill level. I definitely know mine . It would end up costing you more if you have to have it repaired and re-done. Just trying to make sure you're thinking it through. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
I hear you for sure, I'm just trying to save as much as possible on this and I'm fairly confident I can do this job myself. I have more Dremel experience than I'd like to admit lol. We'll see what the shop comes back with though, if it's a $100 install by them then I'll just eat that.

Thanks guys