BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-12-2017, 08:12 PM   #23
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr231 View Post
I realize these cars are much more complicated and prone to failures than my old 323i. I guess I'm just trying to gauge how unreliable the more recent offerings are.

From everything I've read the N55 was supposed to have mostly fixed the issues with the turbos, HPFP, injectors, and reduced the need or at least increased the intervals for walnut blasting the valves. Is that accurate? Even with these improvements would you still consider this an un-reliable car?

I have read about the DCT transmission leak issues, are these pretty widespread? If I'm buying a car with 75-100k miles and it hasn't ever leaked do you think that means it won't or it just hasn't happened yet?

At this point I guess my options are, roll the dice on a slightly lower mileage N55, get an N54 and a 3rd party warranty, get an even lower mileage 128i, or I can start looking at Infinity G37s and Lexus is350. Definitely not buying a Corolla.

I realize these are expensive cars to maintain compared to other brands, I'm just trying to get a sense of how (un)reliable these are. The forums are always full of horror stories. A few $500 or a $2000 repair bill a year beyond normal maintenance isn't going to put me in the poor house... it may have me cursing BMW's name, but I'll survive. But if I can expect $5000 bills and/or repeated $2000 repairs I probably don't want to go down that road.
understand that this is the internet and everything is overblown. The more you read, the more your car will break. Fact. These cars are more maintenance intensive than a Corolla, but they are not "unreliable" either. Find a good example with service records and you'll be ok. You're in Atlanta it seems. Go to eurojet if you don't want to spend the extra money at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 12:17 AM   #24
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr231 View Post
I just had the 2011 checked out by a shop. Most of what they found was maintenance items. Needs 4 tires, rear pads, front rotors and pads, new battery. Other than that old radiator hose that looks like its starting to fail. Broken engine splash guard and fender liner. Also 1 bad tire pressure sensor.

They also said all 4 wheels are bent which the dealer disputed.
Looks like my original analysis was spot on, this car was dumped right before it needed some maintenance which really isn't that expensive however the owner still didn't want do them for some reason(no $$?). As for the bent wheels maybe the roads there are really bad or the driver(youngster) just drove over anything. Anyone with a BMW and some common sense knows that a pothole can cripple your car and set you back a few thousand $$$ easy.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i

Last edited by doublevanosrc; 04-13-2017 at 12:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 12:24 AM   #25
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.fabulous View Post
Personally, I'm getting a little old for this crap (58) and this is easily my last BMW. I suppose I will settle into a nice Buick and shuffle off into the sunset. Not yet... this E82 is easily the most beautiful, comfortable, best handling, and most wicked fast car I have ever owned. All of that comes with a price I will one day not be interested in paying. Not quite yet. Someday...
Ha, I've been having similar thoughts lately as I turn 40. I'm currently fighting the stealership to replace rotors/pads that are little over a year old due to a steering vibration. I love this car I really do it's my 2nd 135i but as I get older I have no idea what my next car will be. BMWs are just not the same in the way they drive and they way they're made.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 09:26 AM   #26
Mr Rooty Von Tooty
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i M-Sport

Over time manufacturers make improvements to their products. They correct issues, because it's going to cost them for warranty repairs. The moral is to buy the newest model you can and among them, the one with the lowest mileage.

The One is a discontinued model, and so the resale value has fallen precipitously. If I was looking for a One, I wouldn't bother with the early cars due to HPFP or the twin turbos. two isn't better than one. The later cars are more reliable and nearly as cheap.

Unfortunately, buyers look at the wrong things when deciding on a ride. Instead of drooling over the options list, you should be looking at the overall condition of the car. A good example from above is the car with the bent wheels. Only a lunatic would consider buying this car.

There are lots of things you can do when you check out a car. The first thing is how does it drive? Is the steering wheel centered going down the road? How do the brakes feel? Take a very close look at the interior, body, wheels, and paint work. I always spend a few dollars at my friendly body shop guy to have him give the car a thorough examination. BTW, nearly every car has had some sort of repair. You want to know how serious it was?

I also run the car through a shop to have it evaluated for mechanical problems. I have to use a dealer for this, because most shops don't have the diagnostic software to do the check. This is going to cost you a hundred or so, so only do it for what you consider the most worthy cars.

If you are a student of human nature, you can learn a lot by paying attention to what the owner has to say. Of course, with a dealer, you can figure he is a crook to begin with!

Besides private owners, dealers, you should check out public auctions. These cars can be had for a song or pocket change! Buying used cars is an art form. I know having done it for many years!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 09:42 AM   #27
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

To answer the OP:
No.
      04-14-2017, 12:44 PM   #28
Luftmeister
Office Linebacker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Nope. That girl looks rode hard and put away wet.
Appreciate 0