E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Sunroof Cassette & First Service

05-02-2006, 09:52 AM   #1
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

Sunroof Cassette & First Service

Firstly, what is the sunroof cassette?

So, I took my car in for a service today at JSN Motors, my nearest and so far best BMW Service Department. Booking in was a breeze - I have 5 complaints.

1) My rear door handles stick when it's hot
2) Tighten handbrake
3) The car creaks when it's cold and I drive over uneven surfaces
4) The clutch shudders when the car is cold
5) The sunroof squeeks and rattles when it's closed

So, the car was serviced and I got a call from the lady around 3pm. She told me that they tried lubricating the sunroof, but couldn't get it to stop making a noise. They've now taken the sunroof out or something and are getting a new sunroof cassette tomorrow afternoon to install. This should apparently fix the problem.

They are also going to make sure the workshop manager is the first person to drive the car tomorrow - so that he can feel the clutch shudder and fix that problem!

So at this rate, I'll be getting my car back either late wednesday, or thursday depending on sunroof cassette availability and if it solves the problem!

They offered me a loan car this afternoon (which isn't common practise in over here) but I rejected it because I have a car to drive for the week and their loan car has a HUGE excess if I should crash it, or someone should crash into me!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2006, 10:47 AM   #2
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Good luck mate, hope you get your car back soon-fixed. keep us posted on your service result.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2006, 01:36 PM   #3
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

They usually reffer to the moving mechanisim and its frame as the cassette.

Basically all the parts that move, except for the glass.

Looks like they are doing a good job
      05-02-2006, 01:37 PM   #4
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

So how was the milage when you took it in ?
      05-02-2006, 02:17 PM   #5
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
So how was the milage when you took it in ?
The SII was on -500 and the car was on 15017km. I did about 400km's of open road driving, and the SII only moved around 300km's wasn't too bad!

JSN are being very helpfull sorting out my one or two "car obsessed idiot" complaints.

I was dealing with a new Service Advisor - Rillian or Lillian - she seemed to know a little something, as she warned me about the cassette issue when I was booking the car in.

My only gripe is that she keeps calling, when I would prefer sms's. Ahh well - her and my voicemail are getting aquainted.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2006, 03:27 PM   #6
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken1
JSN are being very helpfull sorting out my one or two "car obsessed idiot" complaints.
The guys at JSN are really good with customers. The other Saturday, they actually waited for me while I drove all the way from Pretoria to buy the Blacklines.... I had called earlier and notified them that I will be late .

Good luck with your car... I hope everything works out well.
E90 330i 6MT|Space Grey|Red Brown|Alumin|Sunroof|Voice Control|Logic 7|Xenon|Prof-Navigation|Storage Pack|Luggage Pack|Extended Lights|Anti-dazzle Folding Mirrors|Climate Comf. w/screen|M-Sport Pack|Exclusive Pack|Innovations Pack|Alumin Pedals|CF Splitters|Delivered:19 March 2010
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2006, 03:43 PM   #7
dtelle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring still in making..

sunroof are cool but as you have more mechanical system (and electrical system) you have more chance that a problem occurs. in any case the sunroof cassett could be sensible to "extrem" conditions:
cold wheater with ice and watter that could freeze inside the mechanical part (in case of small leakage or water condensation)

very hot condition that will apply mechanical constraints due to the "dilatation" of the body which differs with glass and mechanical part dilatation

if you are living at seaside with alot of sand flying everywhere.
      05-02-2006, 04:20 PM   #8
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtelle

if you are living at seaside with alot of sand flying everywhere.
We are many hours driving and 5,500 feet above sea-level here
      05-02-2006, 04:43 PM   #9
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

When I owned an E36 325i the sunroof cassette had to be replaced. Was fine afterwards. Dealer just did a sloppy job R&I.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2006, 05:50 AM   #10
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Update

My car is in the workshop, being taken apart for the sunroof cassette to be changed. I'm waiting for a phonecall to let me know exactly what is happening! :-)

Update again

Not that it seams anyone really cares, but they've "fixed" the problem, and now the forman is taking it on a test drive. Waiting for the call to come collect.

Last edited by Broken1; 05-03-2006 at 07:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2006, 07:46 AM   #11
txusa03
Major General
Rep

what about your clutch issue? they fixed that too and what cause it and how they fixed it?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2006, 08:36 AM   #12
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:

Not that it seams anyone really cares, but they've "fixed" the problem, .
Just because we dont post doesnt mean we dont read with interest
      05-03-2006, 08:50 AM   #13
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03
what about your clutch issue? they fixed that too and what cause it and how they fixed it?
The clutch issue has been sorted aswell. I'll have to ask tomorrow how they fixed it, and what the problem was.

I just got a call from the SA - the sunroof has been fixed 100%, but on the test drive the forman noticed a rattle coming from the back - between the thirdbrake light and where the sharkfin is (*Remember I was moaning about that the other day) and they are going to fix it if I don't mind (which means I will only get my car back tomorrow).

She said that the forman is perticularly meticulous with rattles and noises and wants everything 100% before they return the car to me. I'm quite impressed they noticed the slight noise from the rear and are fixing it willingly - shows they have some initiative.

As for the creak, they noticed it driving the car into the workshop this morning - and have fixed it by lubricating the rubbers and tightening them (I think).

I'll be very curious to see how much this is all costing. I'm sure this will be another R6000 service. Thanks Motorplan

It'll be nice to get my car back. It'd also be nice if they went beyond the call of duty, and put some more diesel in the car - but I think now I'm asking too much.

:-)

I'll make sure to check the cost and take note of exactly what is done to the car. :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2006, 02:59 PM   #14
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
The clutch issue has been sorted aswell. I'll have to ask tomorrow how they fixed it, and what the problem was.

I just got a call from the SA - the sunroof has been fixed 100%, but on the test drive the forman noticed a rattle coming from the back - between the thirdbrake light and where the sharkfin is (*Remember I was moaning about that the other day) and they are going to fix it if I don't mind (which means I will only get my car back tomorrow).

She said that the forman is perticularly meticulous with rattles and noises and wants everything 100% before they return the car to me. I'm quite impressed they noticed the slight noise from the rear and are fixing it willingly - shows they have some initiative.

As for the creak, they noticed it driving the car into the workshop this morning - and have fixed it by lubricating the rubbers and tightening them (I think).

I'll be very curious to see how much this is all costing. I'm sure this will be another R6000 service. Thanks Motorplan

It'll be nice to get my car back. It'd also be nice if they went beyond the call of duty, and put some more diesel in the car - but I think now I'm asking too much.

:-)

I'll make sure to check the cost and take note of exactly what is done to the car. :-)
That's great news.... it's encouraging to hear some positive feedback about BMW dealers for a change.

I might just book my car for a service at JSN .... even though they are very far from where I stay.
E90 330i 6MT|Space Grey|Red Brown|Alumin|Sunroof|Voice Control|Logic 7|Xenon|Prof-Navigation|Storage Pack|Luggage Pack|Extended Lights|Anti-dazzle Folding Mirrors|Climate Comf. w/screen|M-Sport Pack|Exclusive Pack|Innovations Pack|Alumin Pedals|CF Splitters|Delivered:19 March 2010
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2006, 10:35 AM   #15
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrill30
That's great news.... it's encouraging to hear some positive feedback about BMW dealers for a change.

I might just book my car for a service at JSN .... even though they are very far from where I stay.
Ok, I got the car back today!

They did the oil service, and my next oil service is only in 20 000km's (and not the 15 000km's - maybe due to the fuel change?)

To fix the sunroof, they removed the headliner etc, lubricated all the parts and then decided to change the cassette. They then heard another rattle, and went after that. They took apart my whole boot, including taking out the cd shuttle and the place where the spare would go - and put foam around all the clips and put new clips. They tightened the door rubbers and lubricated them, and changed out the cupholders in the rear armrest. They took off the rear door handles, lubricated them, filled the edges down and put them back on. Apparently, they checked out the clutch aswell and fixed it.

There job card was over a page long!! She couldn't give me the cost of the service because an invoice hadn't been printed yet.

Driving the car home, it's better than new. Some noises I didn't even complain about are gone. They didn't wash the car (as I requested - they have a terrible machine thing) and they didn't dirty it either.

I'm very happy with their service, and I will mention it when they call me most likely next week some time! :-)

I'm impressed.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2006, 10:39 AM   #16
gos
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Quote:
Ok, I got the car back today!

They did the oil service, and my next oil service is only in 20 000km's (and not the 15 000km's - maybe due to the fuel change?)

To fix the sunroof, they removed the headliner etc, lubricated all the parts and then decided to change the cassette. They then heard another rattle, and went after that. They took apart my whole boot, including taking out the cd shuttle and the place where the spare would go - and put foam around all the clips and put new clips. They tightened the door rubbers and lubricated them, and changed out the cupholders in the rear armrest. They took off the rear door handles, lubricated them, filled the edges down and put them back on. Apparently, they checked out the clutch aswell and fixed it.

There job card was over a page long!! She couldn't give me the cost of the service because an invoice hadn't been printed yet.

Driving the car home, it's better than new. Some noises I didn't even complain about are gone. They didn't wash the car (as I requested - they have a terrible machine thing) and they didn't dirty it either.

I'm very happy with their service, and I will mention it when they call me most likely next week some time! :-)

I'm impressed.
Sounds like a great experience, i'm glad.

Anything claimed (like rattles, etc) under warranty is simply invoiced to the mother corporation, so to the local dealership, it's "just work" like any other work, and they get paid by someone to do it. If they aren't willing or able to track down rattles, it's because they're lazy. Any good dealership service department should be able to eliminate all rattles, except the very few that are the result of a poor mechanical design. (like the two different materials on my wife's WRX instrument cluster, that expand at different rates.... if the car is hot: no rattles, if it's cold: no rattles, but it rattles a lot when making a temperature transition and the two pieces are different temps)

--gos
      05-04-2006, 11:16 AM   #17
txusa03
Major General
Rep

what about your clutch, you forgot to ask did you?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2006, 01:29 PM   #18
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03
what about your clutch, you forgot to ask did you?
They just said they fixed it. I will see tomorrow morning if it is fixed, and try and get hold of the person dealing with my car. The dealership was very busy, so the SA who has been dealing with me, couldn't deal with me (and I couldn't wait for her)
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2006, 03:34 PM   #19
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Good to hear JSN are seemingly running well
      05-04-2006, 03:40 PM   #20
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

20,000km sounds correct
Euro diesel models can even go to 30,000

It all depends on your driving style ect ect( it remembers it when they reset the indicator ) and I believe SA models are still set to be services a bit sooner

Don know why they set your first one at only 15K
      05-04-2006, 03:59 PM   #21
Broken1
Addict
Rep

The car feels much better. Went for dinner tonight, and it's like a different machine. DEAD quiet inside - and the engine puurrrsss (diesel grunt obviously)
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2006, 04:02 PM   #22
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
20,000km sounds correct
Euro diesel models can even go to 30,000

It all depends on your driving style ect ect( it remembers it when they reset the indicator ) and I believe SA models are still set to be services a bit sooner

Don know why they set your first one at only 15K
Well one of the things that almost turned me off the diesel (and turned my mother off a diesel) is that they claimed it had to be serviced every 10-15k km's...as apposed to a petrols 20-25k km's. Last time the SII was very correct, as my car went in with 14967km's. If it's right this time...then I'll be really happy!

Call me in a year :-)
Appreciate 0