BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-03-2008, 03:22 PM   #89
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road
Canada
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i Cabrio

After freight/PDI, tire levies, battery levies, documentation fees, PST & GST there is an $17,400 difference between my 135i Cabrio and the exact same spec in a 335i Cabrio. The 1'er is not cheap but it's an absolute hands down bargain compared to any other BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 03:38 PM   #90
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringinthewolf View Post
After freight/PDI, tire levies, battery levies, documentation fees, PST & GST there is an $17,400 difference between my 135i Cabrio and the exact same spec in a 335i Cabrio. The 1'er is not cheap but it's an absolute hands down bargain compared to any other BMW.
Don't forget it is also a bargin compared to other cars out there that might cost the same but come with less or might cost more but comes with the same.. hmm i hope I made sense there :iono:
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #91
looking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

^^^Road Runner,

hahaha..it's addicting posting here isn't it?

Totally agree with every point you make and don't think you're coming off as being laissez faire at all. You're exactly right in pointing out the fact that BMW is pricing the 1 at a point where they think the market will bear. Does that mean that they are not gouging?? No, like you said the price should be lower, but I think we're looking at it from a buyers perspective.

Anyone in business would do what BMW is doing, that's why they call it business.

As you say, buyers vote with their dollars and right now BMW know that the majority of their buyer will bear the price. I think the complaining about BMW Canada's pricing says more about the buyers than the seller. People complain yet still buy the cars. I think what should not be forgotten is that the people making an issue about the price difference is only a small minority, despite the impression you might get on forums.

With that said, it is good to see that some people on here are putting their money where there mouth is and showing BMW their displeasure. Will BMW Canada listen or notice? We'll see, but I don't think so, I'm pretty sure 1's will sell well.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 03:41 PM   #92
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

"After freight/PDI, tire levies, battery levies, documentation fees, PST & GST there is an $17,400 difference between my 135i Cabrio and the exact same spec in a 335i Cabrio. The 1'er is not cheap but it's an absolute hands down bargain compared to any other BMW."

Agreed. I priced out a 328i Cabrio with the same options I have on the 128i Cabrio and the diff (incl tax diff) was over $19,000.
As well, the delta in MSRP between the U.S. and Cdn 128i Cabrios is 17.5%, but the Cdn 128i has a lot more std features (Xenons, heated seats, better wheels, cargo bag, etc) which is worth approx $2.5 - $3K, bringing the delta of the 1er down to LT 15%, which is about the best Cdn - U.S. % delta of any of the BMW series.

BTW. My 128i Cabrio has the same level of options as my 2003 2.5 Z4 had except that my 128i cabrio has 230HP while the 2003 Z4 had 185HP - and my 128i Cabrio is costing me $10K less than my similarly equipped Z4 did - 5 1/2 years ago..
So my guess is that the 1er pricing will steal a lot of Z4 and 3-series sales. - and that ain't good for BMW..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 04:12 PM   #93
dalrx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 530i

Well BMW CDN does not seem to be hurting. They are #1 Tier 1 car seller in Canada. According to this article they have had 17yrs of strait increases, and with the 1er coming that will continue. There will always be people lining up to give em business, so they will do as they will, regardless of bitchin here or in the media to be a little more fair on rates.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...Story/robNews/
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 04:28 PM   #94
looking
Captain
Rep

^^

Yup! exactly.....
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 06:46 PM   #95
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

I don't think a high interest rates will hurt the 1 series sales. My sales rep said they have had lots of early interest in the 1 series and plenty of presales. He thouht there was a little more then they had with the 335 coupes. He said the 335 coupes sold out incredibly quick last year. Because the 1 series is getting so much interest before there are any in the Canadian dealerships...I'm sure they will have a big line up of buyers once they are on display.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 07:58 PM   #96
linus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335xi, 08 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbmw View Post
I don't think a high interest rates will hurt the 1 series sales. My sales rep said they have had lots of early interest in the 1 series and plenty of presales. He thouht there was a little more then they had with the 335 coupes. He said the 335 coupes sold out incredibly quick last year. Because the 1 series is getting so much interest before there are any in the Canadian dealerships...I'm sure they will have a big line up of buyers once they are on display.
What this all means for the company is 'cha ching'. Little to no discount off MSRP, insane lease and financing rate and a crowd of people lining up. I'm not sure I agree with a statement above that the 1er is an absolute bargain compared to any other BMW under these conditions unless you're paying cash. As I've commented before, the Company is asking buyers of the 1er to pay up relative to the 3 series. No discount and an absurd lease rate means many will be paying close to 3 series. My E92 335i monthly payment will be equal to or less than many comparably configured 135i given my 5% discount off MSRP and 3.9% lease rate.

For this reason, I've cancelled my 128i cabrio order.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 11:43 PM   #97
Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

^^

Excel, so addicting! But yeah, I totally agree with you. At the end of the day the consumer is doing what the consumer should do and the business is doing what the business should do. In any event it should be a great car!
      03-04-2008, 06:06 AM   #98
looking
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Runner View Post
^^

Excel, so addicting! But yeah, I totally agree with you. At the end of the day the consumer is doing what the consumer should do and the business is doing what the business should do. In any event it should be a great car!
And there's the catch! Because the car is getting a lot of good reviews and hype, walking away is that much harder. I'm looking forward to seeing what this car can really do.

"Well BMW CDN does not seem to be hurting. They are #1 Tier 1 car seller in Canada. According to this article they have had 17yrs of strait increases, and with the 1er coming that will continue. There will always be people lining up to give em business, so they will do as they will, regardless of bitchin here or in the media to be a little more fair on rates.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...Story/robNews/ "

Every time I see that guys picture it just makes me bad. The way he belittles his buyers turns me off!
Appreciate 0