BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-19-2018, 03:01 PM   #23
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Took the car to the indy shop today, their programmer was locked up in the mechanic's chest that was gone (they could read it on their other one that sub is dead), but they did tell me it needs a new battery and a software update.

They went ahead and replaced the plugs, so I'm hoping the new battery, coding, and software update will fix the driveability issues and make me want to keep the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 07:23 PM   #24
Havocsteve
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
BMW needs to get their shit together before someone gets seriously hurt because of these DCT issues. What's it gonna take, a fatality?

As I've said before, my DCT has always worked flawlessly and there is no good reason or excuse for all of them not to perform the same way.
I can safely say that yes, it would have to take a class action lawsuit worth billions before they proactively do something. It would be just like the GMC ignition key situation. It's cheaper to throw a couple million to a family then to fix a whole bunch of vehicles. Remember, they have billions in the bank and they also have funds secured just for issues like this.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 01:29 PM   #25
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

WOW! New battery is in. The car was far enough behind it updated the DME, DCT computer, and the ABS computer.

The DCT is MUCH more well behaved now. And while there is still a touch of lag at a slow "rolling stop" it eases the clutch out vs BANG and lurching you forward. Engine seems to be running a bit more smoothly now as well.

Now the choice to keep or ditch becomes more difficult and I find myself wanting to start modding.
Appreciate 2
      06-27-2018, 01:20 PM   #26
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
Car is waiting to be picked up. 2 weeks ago took a tech for a drive, he was saying that DCT is a fickle animal, more noticeable in our cars vs a M2/3/4 since they have gobs more power and more aggressive mappings.

Thought I might have to pay for the whole service, but my SA did me a favor and only charging me as if a $50 CPO copay. He was saying without faults or a broken part, CPO isnt really suppose to cover reprogramming or a software issue.

Hoping for the best, at least now I can say BMW fixed it when I go to sell or trade it in later this year.
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2018, 03:36 PM   #27
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
Car is waiting to be picked up. 2 weeks ago took a tech for a drive, he was saying that DCT is a fickle animal, more noticeable in our cars vs a M2/3/4 since they have gobs more power and more aggressive mappings.

Thought I might have to pay for the whole service, but my SA did me a favor and only charging me as if a $50 CPO copay. He was saying without faults or a broken part, CPO isnt really suppose to cover reprogramming or a software issue.

Hoping for the best, at least now I can say BMW fixed it when I go to sell or trade it in later this year.
Glad your SA took care of you and hopefully what that tech did will solve your issue but I have to say his statement about the M cars is just downright stupid.

So he thinks aggressive mappings and more horsepower is why the M cars don't have this issue? Where's that face palm meme? I had the Dinan S2 tune done to my car which still didn't resolve the problem. 355 HP isn't that far behind the M2's 365 HP. And aggressive mappings have nothing to do with low speed partial throttle situations.

The statement of your SA about CPO coverage is concerning if true. Because with how these cars a more rolling computers than cars these days, software is definitely a major factor in how well the car operates. If BMW is going to take stand like this with CPO coverage, then getting a CPO has pretty much zero appeal.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 08:42 AM   #28
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

UPDATE: It seems the car has relearned some its bad habits.

I might be checking to see what I can get for trade-in on it later this year.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 09:28 AM   #29
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post

Did you have them reset the adaptations outlined in the sticky I've posted where I listed the actual tech notes of what was done to my car? I don't think doing a software update will have the same effects as what was done to my car.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 10:01 AM   #30
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
The tech's point was not that the M's dont have the issues, just that they are less noticeable.

Yeah that was kind of my case I was pleading, how can software issues not be included in CPO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Glad your SA took care of you and hopefully what that tech did will solve your issue but I have to say his statement about the M cars is just downright stupid.

So he thinks aggressive mappings and more horsepower is why the M cars don't have this issue? Where's that face palm meme? I had the Dinan S2 tune done to my car which still didn't resolve the problem. 355 HP isn't that far behind the M2's 365 HP. And aggressive mappings have nothing to do with low speed partial throttle situations.

The statement of your SA about CPO coverage is concerning if true. Because with how these cars a more rolling computers than cars these days, software is definitely a major factor in how well the car operates. If BMW is going to take stand like this with CPO coverage, then getting a CPO has pretty much zero appeal.

Last edited by bagekko; 06-28-2018 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 10:13 AM   #31
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
The tech's point was not that the M's dont have the issues, just that they are less noticeable.

Yeah that was kind of my case I was pleading, how can software issues not be included in CPO.
Well, the M's (M3 and M4 Competitions) I drove at the one day M cornering school in DC didn't exhibit any of the behaviors our DCTs do. Granted the DCTs in these newer cars are not the same as ours. But I haven't seen many complaints from the M cars that did share the same mechanical transmissions as ours. I suspect it is due to the different software that is loaded up in the M cars versus our pedestrian vehicles. But the statement about the M cars having more horsepower or having more aggressive maps would to me make the situation worse not better.

It's all about the clutch engagement.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 10:45 AM   #32
SamelCamel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post

Dude, you really need to reset the adaptations on everything. The DCT will run like new again (at least mine is.) PM me and we can try to figure something out. I'm south of Nashville, but if you get a cable I can probably remote in and help you reset it.

DCT people have to stick together!

-Sam
Appreciate 2
Esteban43288.00
zx10guy5149.50
      06-28-2018, 12:58 PM   #33
SamelCamel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

I just want to post one more time because I would say, after I reset the adaptations in the software, the car now runs normally. There's no more bouncing between 500 and 1500 RPMs, no more lurching or hesitation, and it just runs like you would expect a car to run.

Using the software I got with my AutoDiag cable (which is pretty much just a copy of the standard suite of the BMW softwares like INPA and Toolset32) I was able to go in through INPA and reset the adaptations. It was not listed like some of the instructions I see posted here and other places. The option to reset was slightly different than most instructions I was seeing. There was an option to reset everything, however, if you chose that it would not reset, it would just throw an error. I also had to edit an INI file to add the DCT before it would even let me into the menu. I had to select each option individually to reset them. This is on a 2013 BMW 135is, so I'm not sure why it's slightly different.

Either way, If I can get back into it I will try to take pictures or video of the reset process so you can see the exact step by step that I took to reset it on my car.

-Sam
Appreciate 0