BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-01-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

Car Cover

Being as my garage is full of junk I am looking to invest in a decent car cover. This will reduce the amount of bird S%*t that gets deposited on my car (especially when just cleaned) and hopefully preserve the paintwork over the long term.

Has anyone any experience with car covers? I'd like to know what people have gone for. Heard some cheap ones can scratch/buff the paintwork so looking at a few options like the Moltex covers.
      03-02-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
Macca916
Private
England
Rep
Drives: X6 XDrive35D

Garage List
How often do you use the car?
a car cover should not be fitted to a dirty car ever! as it will pickup the dirt and constantly apply it to the bodywork every time its fitted.
this aspect for me suggests car covers are for garage/show queens only ie cars that get washed and polished before being re covered...
for every day drivers I imagine the need to wash before fitting would be a major pain in the butt. I had a cover for a previous car I owned and it ended up relegated to the garage amongst all the other junk..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 11:03 AM   #3
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

I was going to use the cover when away or using my wifes car. When it's standing still the birds on the tree above love to use it as a toilet which is my main concern.
I could shoot them off but the neighbours probably wouldn't approve.

Generally the car is clean and I would only put on the cover when it's like this.

Looks like the Moltex ones are reasonably priced considering their quality. I think I will go with these....
      04-04-2010, 06:17 AM   #4
LBeamer1
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe (AW)

I see that BMW do their own custom covers for the Coupe, not sure of the price of course (expect it to be at a premium !!) but wondered if anyone had any experience of it ?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 09:17 AM   #5
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BSM 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBeamer1 View Post
I see that BMW do their own custom covers for the Coupe, not sure of the price of course (expect it to be at a premium !!) but wondered if anyone had any experience of it ?
I purchased the BMW cover and it fits the 135i like a glove, highly recommend it; fortunately, I was able to buy it over here at a discount from Tischer http://getbmwparts.com/ so it was only $20 more than one from carscover.com, which was returned and I don't recommend buying one from them. I suspect the BMW cover is made by http://www.covercraft-europe.com/ (european link), although I'm not absolutely sure, but I do believe they make the BMW windshield sunshade.

The BMW cover is NOAH material, so it resists water well, dries fast, provides UV protection and is easy to handle even when fully wet. It comes with a bag attached to the cover, which I thought was weird at first, but it works out to be quite functional.

pge
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 06:43 AM   #6
ab2pcs
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320i M sport plus

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by esscolab View Post
I was going to use the cover when away or using my wifes car. When it's standing still the birds on the tree above love to use it as a toilet which is my main concern.
I could shoot them off but the neighbours probably wouldn't approve.

Generally the car is clean and I would only put on the cover when it's like this.

Looks like the Moltex ones are reasonably priced considering their quality. I think I will go with these....
Chain saw reqd ??