BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-27-2011, 06:28 PM   #1
jgerber
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

2012 128i ordered

So, after falling for the 1 series and awaiting the demise of my current car, the stars aligned, the current car's hydraulic system gave up the ghost, and I placed my order today.

2012 128i
MT
Space Grey
Sports Package
Navigation
black leatherette

Got a production number before leaving the building. Now all I have to do is make it through the next 6-8 weeks. ( although, it seems like those numbers may be somewhat fictitious based on the other threads here )

I am still twitching over my choice to go with the leatherette. I either was going to forgo navigation or leather. Hope I made the right choice. With a kid turning 4 this January, I figure that I am still in for years more car seat/booster seat fun. Seems like the Leatherette should stand up to the punishment of a car seat better....
      12-27-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
szcyxzh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128I

if i may give a suggestion, add the xenon and upgrade to m pkg before going to actual production IF YOU INTEND TO KEEP THE CAR FOR MORE THAN 5 YEARS.

nice color combination and congrats.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
szcyxzh
First Lieutenant
Rep

I really like the Leatherette. It never shows any wear (though i only have it for 3 mon).

Have fun with some mod in the future. My opinion again, even if you are not going to track it, upgrade it with the E92/3 M3 front sway bar, which will eliminate most of the noticeable rollings. Cannot beat this $240 easy mod.

Again, welcome to the forum!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 06:45 PM   #4
jgerber
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by szcyxzh View Post
if i may give a suggestion, add the xenon and upgrade to m pkg before going to actual production IF YOU INTEND TO KEEP THE CAR FOR MORE THAN 5 YEARS.

nice color combination and congrats.
Thanks. I probably should add the xenon. But I didn't see anything worth the extra cash between the sport and the M Sport. What am I missing here? What makes the M Sport package worthwhile?
      12-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
szcyxzh
First Lieutenant
Rep

If you intend to keep the car and prefers some styling, then the Anthracite headliner looks really nice, plus the aero F/R bumpers (though you could upgrade them to M F/R bumpers later with the sport pkg). Just got another complementary for the styling in the body shop even though the fender has dent. You also get a M steering, a little smaller than the regular one.

In short, Xenon is for tech and styling, seems a must to me, and will be good for resale in the future. m pkg is for styling if you would keep this car for more than lease period (i understand you are buying).
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
szcyxzh
First Lieutenant
Rep

I feel sorry repeating myself this in the 1 forum, but my opinion only: at the moment, bmw is basically giving away ($299 for 27 mon) its 3. http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...OKSngHyxYV6/Mo

1. you may or may not eventually be tired of the 1er for its styling, size, power, or whatever reason. same to any car. but due to the size, make this car very small room in U.S.
2. since you have a family with kid(s), a 4 seat generous sedan seems more suitable.
3. As mentioned, current lease promotion is really cheap, and you can switch to 2013/4 model of 2 series, or new F30 3 as you wish for the short leasing period.
4. No worry of the initial depreciation and any dents etc (headache if you buy it)

If i did not bought my car three months ago or i have a friend could let me test drive more and give me some better suggestions, i would definitely lease a 3 (it was 349 months ago).

Anyway, table with your family if you value my regrets above.

Yang
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #7
jgerber
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by szcyxzh View Post
If you intend to keep the car and prefers some styling, then the Anthracite headliner looks really nice, plus the aero F/R bumpers (though you could upgrade them to M F/R bumpers later with the sport pkg). Just got another complementary for the styling in the body shop even though the fender has dent. You also get a M steering, a little smaller than the regular one.

In short, Xenon is for tech and styling, seems a must to me, and will be good for resale in the future. m pkg is for styling if you would keep this car for more than lease period (i understand you are buying).
I see. Well, I bought the car for the driving experience. And while I like the look of the M-Sport bumpers and the darker liner, I don't like them a grand more than without them. For me, the sport package was essential, along with the manual transmission. But that was about it. I threw in Nav because I am weak and like tech toys. ( and I couldn't wait for the bmw link iphone software to get to the u.s. )

Of course, if I had the cash to burn, I would have gone for the m-sport....
      01-01-2012, 10:27 PM   #8
jgerber
United_States
Rep

Funny thing happened while I was waiting for that new car to get a build date....
I found a loaded 135i for about the same price -- executive demo car...
deep sea blue metalic
with a 6MT...
and a sunroof
and oyster leather
grey poplar
convenience package
premium 2 package
cold weather package ( i live in socal so useless )
nav
7500 miles but spotless
31/2 years left on the warranty
$35500

so I guess i have to go to my dealer and cancel my order

Last edited by jgerber; 01-02-2012 at 01:14 AM..
Appreciate 0