BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
Swadeness
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Help with SES light

Well today I got my first SES light and would like your guys opinions on what the likely cause is. The car is a 2011 N55 135 and my mods are pretty basic with an AR catted down pipe, ER chargepipe, and the BMS intake. For now I am on the stock tune.
-The obvious suspect would be the DP but I had it on for almost three weeks with a lot of hard driving and had zero issues. So why do I have the light now?
-Yesterday I installed the ER charge pipe. After the install, on first startup I got the motor icon and the limp mode message. I found the MAF sensor a bit loose on the intake so I tightened that down and no more lights of any kind. I drove the car last night and this AM with no SES light. Although the car seemed a bit low on power (I think I fixed a small leak by reseating the hose coupler on the charge pipe.) The car runs strong now even with the light, could a leak or bad connection still cause the light?
-This is a long shot but it may have something to do with some bad gas. Just before I got the light I filled up with fuel. This was the first tank of fuel with the new DP that was ethanol free, the previous two tanks were 5%. Could this combined with the DP have anything to do with it?

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a scan tool so right now I'm just guessing. My biggest concern is whether it is safe to drive it hard while it is still showing the light. Any thoughts or shared experiences?

thanks
Wade
      07-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

Without codes it's impossible to say for sure. The top culprits are probably 30FF boost leak(although you should be getting a limp mode it that were the case) or cat inefficiency codes.

Just to be on the safe side I wouldn't push the car. Drop by an advance, o'reilly or auto zone and get them to scan the codes. Tbh, it's a good idea to go ahead and invest in a tune even just for the code clearing/reading.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
Swadeness
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Just a quick update if anybody is following or comes across this thread. It was bad gas causing the SES light. As soon as I topped off the tank at a different gas station the light went away. I have filled up at least 3 different stations since then with no issues.....until today. I stopped back at the suspect station to top off and within 5k I had the light again. I didn't make the connection at the time but my Audi also threw a CEL immediately after filling at the same station and went away at the next refuel. So needless to say I will not be using that station again.
      08-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
1Fasst1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, Jet Black 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swadeness View Post
Just a quick update if anybody is following or comes across this thread. It was bad gas causing the SES light. As soon as I topped off the tank at a different gas station the light went away. I have filled up at least 3 different stations since then with no issues.....until today. I stopped back at the suspect station to top off and within 5k I had the light again. I didn't make the connection at the time but my Audi also threw a CEL immediately after filling at the same station and went away at the next refuel. So needless to say I will not be using that station again.
Glad you isolated the problem. It would have been good to know what the code was and description because I don't think there is a code for bad gas.It does give the rest of us something to think about. Good luck
Appreciate 0