BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
AmericanFear
Rep
Drives: 135i

Window Issue

I got in my car (2009 135 coupe) after work today and when i shut the door, hadn't even put the key in the ignition yet, the drivers side window rolled itself down. Now it won't go back up. I can get the motor to make noise by wiggling the switch back and forth but nothing happens. My original diagnosis was the window motor but Im not so sure. I can get the motor to turn slightly (what i mean by making noise) but it stops almost like it thinks the top limit is inside the door. I am hoping this is something I can fix myself but that may just be wishful thinking and I am fearing the worst. And by the worst I mean, having to leave my car at the dealer for days at a time.

Has anyone had a similar issue to this or can guess what the issue is based on my sub-par description?

EDIT: after playing with it some more, it has now stopped doing anything, bringing it to the dealership tomorrow

EDIT2: went to the dealer - something was wrong with the regulator, was stuck with a 328 sedan all day but have my car back good as new

Last edited by AmericanFear; 08-28-2013 at 08:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 10:39 PM   #2
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Glad you shared your story. My window suddenly did this too. I went to lock the car and immediately after I did the driver side window rolled down. I thought "What the heck, I didn't ask it to do that." Was hoping it was just an electrical glitch.

Wasn't sure whether it was common or not for the window to automatically roll down with this type of failure but I guess with it happening to at least one other person it can't be a coincidence.

I'll talk to the dealer and see what they quote me. After looking at the DIY and remembering my last experience trying to solve a window problem on a manual open/close Honda Civic I might bite the bullet and have the stealership deal with this (out of warranty too )
Appreciate 0