BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-05-2014, 11:33 AM   #1
whitebimmer09
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i Auto

428i while 135 in the shop

So when I dropped off my 135 to get some problems fixed they gave me a 428i to drive, and I am not impressed. It's funny when I saw that they were giving me that I was like, oh cool, but after driving a few minutes I was not impressed. It's solid like a new car should be, not like my 68000 mile 1er, but the steering is boring, the engine sounds stupid, and there is no excitement in this car. It feels fat. I will say that that 4 cylinder engine is pretty impressive though, feels pretty quick...

That being said, the 428i has the M package so it has all the sport bells and whistles but without the bigger engine. More performance would not make this a better, more fun to drive car.

It is funny how much I like the 135. Although my car's natural habitat is either a gas station or a BMW garage, it has the excitement that this is missing.
I also like the simple cabin of mine, no sport, comfort, sport plus econ mode. I just start it and drive (if it wants to start).
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 11:36 AM   #2
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebimmer09 View Post
So when I dropped off my 135 to get some problems fixed they gave me a 428i to drive, and I am not impressed. It's funny when I saw that they were giving me that I was like, oh cool, but after driving a few minutes I was not impressed. It's solid like a new car should be, not like my 68000 mile 1er, but the steering is boring, the engine sounds stupid, and there is no excitement in this car. It feels fat. I will say that that 4 cylinder engine is pretty impressive though, feels pretty quick...

That being said, the 428i has the M package so it has all the sport bells and whistles but without the bigger engine. More performance would not make this a better, more fun to drive car.

It is funny how much I like the 135. Although my car's natural habitat is either a gas station or a BMW garage, it has the excitement that this is missing.
I also like the simple cabin of mine, no sport, comfort, sport plus econ mode. I just start it and drive (if it wants to start).
yeah the new 3s and 4s ALL feel that boring....i've driven the 328 and the 335 and was bored out of my mind in both. The 335 felt like a faster version of boring!! lol. I've driven the 228 and it is just rubbish.....feels like a VW to drive. Numb and lifeless.

The 1ers are the last somewhat organic BMWs we are likely to see for the time being......
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 11:37 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

To be fair, u drive a lighter , funner car + higher performance engine.
No wonder you are going to be disappointed in the 428 driving experience.
I find that in terms of driving experience the 1 series is just amazing.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #4
Mach1er
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i

Yeah, I had a 535i while my 1er was in the shop last week with all the bells and whistles, including M-sport. Even in Sport+ it the steering just feels flat. I found myself over-steering in a hard corner because it was so disconnected to what the car would willingly do. Granted, the 5 is huge compared to a 1, but it just felt so blah. Loved the new LED high and low beams, though.
      08-05-2014, 02:26 PM   #5
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

I had a 435ix for a few days over the 4th holiday. Not impressed. Power was ok but vague steering, as many new BMWs have, would be a deal killer for me. It's stickered for over $50k as this one wasn't optioned a lot, but it was pretty bland. Lots out there for a lot less and more fun.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 04:50 PM   #6
crex
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i, Jeep wrangler

It's the eps. I hate the new steering.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 09:43 AM   #7
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
I have an F30 335i M-Sport 8AT with DHP, MPE, and MPPK. The electrically-assisted steering on mine feels fine, especially in Sport mode - very tight and accurate. Some say the MPPK install also included a separate software update to correct problems with steering feel, and since I had mine installed within a month of taking delivery, I can't recall whether or not mine felt different from my previous E92 or my wife's 128i M-Sport. The 3/4 series is a different animal from the 1, just like the 5 and 7, although the 5 was the first to get the EPS and it was indeed dismal. That said, the new M3/M4 has EPS and nobody's complained about it yet. I think a lot of people seem to perceive that EPS is "drive-by-wire", and that is completely incorrect. It's just an electric motor providing the assist rather than hydraulic pressure; there's still a direct connection between the steering wheel and the steering rack. I haven't had any issues with steering feel or performance, and I prefer my 335i for longer trips and carrying friends and family when the occasion arises. The 128i is the sportier and lighter (only by 250 lbs, though) choice for back roads and more spirited driving.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 10:54 AM   #8
whitebimmer09
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The 8 speed seems excessive, I feel like it's constantly shifting. I can't complain about the mpgs, cruising at 60 was giving me 40 mpgs.
I think the price is way to much, optioned out its at like 47k. I couldn't see paying that much for a car like this. But,someone did, BMW just called me and said that they sold my rental and they are sending someone out to swap out cars... I thought it was pretty strange. I would Never purchase a loaner BMW, I've been driving it like I stole it and it only has 100 miles on it, hope it doesn't have a break in period.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 10:55 AM   #9
Worra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is/6, 1995 540i/6

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crex
It's the eps. I hate the new steering.
So much of this. It's terrible. Anyone driven the F80 M3 yet?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 08:43 AM   #10
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
I would Never purchase a loaner BMW, I've been driving it like I stole it and it only has 100 miles on it, hope it doesn't have a break in period.
Wow...very classy. BMW must love having you as a customer, especially when loaning you a brand-new car for free. FYI, most buyers don't pay sticker price for their BMWs, although I'm sure there are some who do. I certainly didn't, and I also don't "flog" the loaners they've given me the few times my cars have been in for service.

Of course, your post may have been tongue-in-cheek...but I've seen a lot of other similar ones and I just have to wonder if there are really that many self-centered people out there.

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 09:02 AM   #11
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
Wow...very classy. BMW must love having you as a customer, especially when loaning you a brand-new car for free. FYI, most buyers don't pay sticker price for their BMWs, although I'm sure there are some who do. I certainly didn't, and I also don't "flog" the loaners they've given me the few times my cars have been in for service.

Of course, your post may have been tongue-in-cheek...but I've seen a lot of other similar ones and I just have to wonder if there are really that many self-centered people out there.
Class notwithstanding, I'm sure that BMW know when loaning a car, brand new or otherwise, that there is a chance it will be driven by their customers at the very least with the same level of aggression as the car that is in for service, and at the very most like a rental from Avis. If BMW is concerned about the cars they loan out being broken in properly, they probably wouldn't loan them out. I presume that's why loaners are so much cheaper to buy than new cars.

Also I would presume to say that you are in the minority of people who don't "flog" cars that aren't theirs when they have the opportunity to drive them. Just my $.02 (one of the self-centered people.)

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 09:06 AM   #12
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:

#1: don't ever buy a BMW loaner
#2: rental cars, loaner cars, etc = ALWAYS get flogged.

if you don't do it-----many, many others will anyways. So you might as well
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 09:40 AM   #13
whitebimmer09
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Lol. That's good for you. You give me a loaner car I'm going to drive how a BMW is meant to be driven. I think the point of them doing that is to tempt you to purchasing something different. You give a car with a sport + button I am going to push it and that button at the bottom of the pedal. I'm sure if they were concerned they would have a partnership with a car rental company and give me a Toyota corolla.
Didn't you see the top gear where Jeremy clarkson said the fastest car on the planet was a rental car??
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 09:47 AM   #14
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i,E70 X5M,E93 M3

Quote:

Don't make it sound like they're doing you a favor by giving you a loaner car. Things like that are built into the cost of the car or the service.

Whether or not you agree with him the fact remains that there are people like that - that's why you don't buy ex-rental cars or loaners.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 01:11 PM   #15
angler
love to fish!
Rep
Drives: 13: SG 135i M-Sport Cabrio 6mt

I think its about being respectful. You should treat the loaner like you would want someone to treat your car. Just because the loaner might be part of the cost of buying a BMW or not is no reason for people to be disrespectful of property thats not theirs. Just my opinion,
      08-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #16
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by angler View Post
I think its about being respectful. You should treat the loaner like you would want someone to treat your car. Just because the loaner might be part of the cost of buying a BMW or not is no reason for people to be disrespectful of property thats not theirs. Just my opinion,
Thanks...your opinion is shared by more than the "entitled" generations realize. They'll figure it out sooner or later, though. When my F30 was a week late arriving, my dealer loaned me a brand-new 640i Gran Coupe for a week because they knew I wasn't going to go out and drive the piss out of it. Getting a DWHUA in someone else's $85K car isn't the smartest move in the book. Did I check it out to see what it'd do? Sure...for about 20 minutes, after which I cruised the rest of the way home (100 miles one-way), drove it briskly (but not abusively) for several days, and even took a parade lap at a special event at COTA before returning to pick up my new car. I offered to fill it up, but they said it wasn't necessary. You don't get that type of customer trust by being selfishly irresponsible. Would I buy that car if I could afford it? Hell yeah - it wasn't loaned to just every Joe Customer.

Oh yeah - the speed limits in that part of TX were as high as 85MPH on some roads, and I wasn't slacking - but I wasn't street-racing it, either.

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 06:29 PM   #17
whitebimmer09
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

They gave me a loaner with dog hair in it, you want to talk about disrespectful, putting a pet in a loaner would be much worse than someone putting their foot into it. No big deal, not ramping a car or smashing over bumps.

They know you are going to floor these things, no big deal, I got my car back with 10 more miles on it, who knows about what they did. Also, they put it through the BMW car wash after me telling them not to. The car that they originally gave me had 100 miles on it and already had spider scratches on it from their car wash. The manager said it was 4 years since they replaced the brushes. That's not abuse right?

Want to talk about abuse? How do you think the people who work there drive them. You do a transfer and they bash them around.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #18
Mach1er
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i

Quote:
They gave me a loaner with dog hair in it, you want to talk about disrespectful, putting a pet in a loaner would be much worse than someone putting their foot into it. No big deal, not ramping a car or smashing over bumps.

They know you are going to floor these things, no big deal, I got my car back with 10 more miles on it, who knows about what they did. Also, they put it through the BMW car wash after me telling them not to. The car that they originally gave me had 100 miles on it and already had spider scratches on it from their car wash. The manager said it was 4 years since they replaced the brushes. That's not abuse right?

Want to talk about abuse? How do you think the people who work there drive them. You do a transfer and they bash them around.

When my dealer accidentally washed my car after me telling them not to I made a right fuss of it because I had the full Zaino system on the perfect paint. I got a free tank of gas for my troubles and a permanent note on my dealer profile about car washes. My SA hasn't forgotten since.

The 535i loaner I got had spider webbing in the paint, 9k miles on the clock, and was a quart low on oil. The dealer doesn't take care of their cars, either. I hope whoever ends up buying it gets a hefty discount on the $66k sticker.
      08-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #19
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i, '19 Genesis G70

This whole conversation kinda pisses me off: even when I rent a car (aka I pay for renting it), I pay attention about it, because I respect cars, I just do. Even more so the loaners they give me for free (and as a result my SA always tries to please me every time he has something nicer to choose from). All the other dealerships make you pay for loaners (at least VW and Mazda since they are the only ones with BMW that I have experience with in the US). It makes me angry to read all kind of justifications as for why you can or cannot abuse a loaner they don't have to give. The more people will abuse loaners, the less likely we will have free loaners in the future
      08-08-2014, 02:09 PM   #20
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

I make sure the start stop feature is active, leave it in drive, stop 20 secs at each stop sign so I can experience the paint shaker effect, and never exceed the speed limit. I also make sure I overfill the gas tank. I also wash and wax the exterior and steam the carpets on the loaner. I do this because I'm that kind of guy.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 02:19 PM   #21
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1er View Post
The 535i loaner I got had spider webbing in the paint, 9k miles on the clock, and was a quart low on oil. The dealer doesn't take care of their cars, either.
The F30 328i I got had 3K miles and didn't feel like a new car.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 11:13 PM   #22
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by angler View Post
I agree.

The Jet Black 328i that I got as a loaner for three days was sorta dirty inside and out, so I washed and vacuumed it.... Force of habit.