BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-09-2014, 05:07 PM   #1
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Visiting Supersprint Italy (Loads of Pictures/Wall of Text)

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
There is a common expression that "One should never meet their heroes". The idea being that nothing can live up to the hype in your mind about the entity you appreciate. In the case of Supersprint, I have been a fan of their products and mentality of honesty for years, a fact which many of you are familiar with. While visiting Italy last week, I was fortunate enough to get a private tour of the facilities from a contact I made over the last few years. I came in with huge expectations, and frankly, left floored.

Never meet your heroes? Bullshit.

*Disclaimer* Photos were being snapped quickly as I moved throughout the facility. As a result, they are not studio quality work. This will also be a long thread. You have been warned.

For starters, Italy is a wonderful country. The drivers understand where they should be relative to their speed, no one gets angry about passing, and outside of a few speed cameras (all of which are very clearly marked), you are free to drive as you wish. Supersprint is located in more northern Italy, so the roads are rather wonderful. This was the satellite view of the B&B where I spent the night prior to my visit. More on this later...

Arrival:

From the front gates you get the impression it is a rather small facility, oh how wrong that assumption is.

Research and Development:

First stop was the R&D facility. This is where they bring in fitment cars for the initial mock up, dyno test the prototype products, and design the jigs for future production (faces blanked out in all photos). Sadly, I forgot to snag a photo of the dyno, but it is an impressive unit. 4WD capable that measures both crank and wheel HP (using engine rundown to calculate drivetrain loss), with sensors for exhaust pressure, exhaust temp, fan setups for front and rear engines, water sprayers for FI intercoolers, and so on and so forth. Extremely impressive unit.

F30 335i currently being mocked up. As they discovered that it shares the same floor pan as the F8x M3, they were able to run a true dual pipe setup instead of the stock mono pipe. Please note that this is a fitment prototype.

Jigs being fabbed up for later use.

Storage:

Stepping out of the R&D facility takes us to metal stock storage, and one of many jig storage facilities. As Supersprint has been around since 1955, and both makes exhausts for nearly every slightly performance related vehicle and keeps them around, there is a near endless amount of jigs. Pretty much any place they have extra room, they store jigs.

As all Supersprint exhaust pieces are made from 304 stainless, which does not rust, they are free to store all their pipe outside. Depending on application (race vs street), pipe thickness can range from 1mm to 1.5mm, as the tradeoff of weight vs strength is balanced.

First jig storage sighting. I won't be posting all the photos of jigs as there are a ton.

Jigs are all individually catalogued and labeled for easy later access.

Some jigs are stored inside.

And some jigs are stored outside. Jigs jigs jigs.

Pipe Cutting and Bending:

In an ideal world, exhaust pipes would have no bends. As we all know, that really doesn't work in the real world. As good as Supersprint is at smoothing the bends, some pipe bending is still needed. In addition to bending the pipe to the needed form, this is also where pipe cutting is done, to facilitate the later welding of collectors, flanges, resonators, cats, and mufflers. A plasma cutter is used.

Pipe bender in action.

Alignment is then confirmed using the fitment jig.

And then again measured precisely to confirm fitment.

Finished parts are then stored for next section.

Welding:

This is where the real Italian artisan aspect comes into play. Supersprint does not grind or polish any of their welds. Nor do they use machine welds for anything more than spot welds to hold the parts together. The level of skill in this section was nothing short of mind blowing.

Spot weld machine.

Hand welding flanges to a mid-pipe.

Muffler welding.

Header welding for a WRC car. Renault or Citroen (can't remember which) submitted their header design to Supersprint, who in turn built it to spec along with their own design which they felt was an improvement. Both were submitted back to the OE, who ended up picking Supersprint's design over their own.

Finished product. The OE's WRC team needed a number of units. Because it is a WRC car, strength was favored over lightness, and as a result, 1.5mm pipe was used. Product was still very light in the hand.

Batches of finished products ready to head onto the next stage.

Quality Control:

If you own a Supersprint product, this is something you are familiar with already. The product fits as well if not better than stock. If you have worked with other aftermarket parts, you will know this is rarely, if ever, the case. There is a very good reason for that level of fit.

Each product is tested individually to confirm alignment and fitment. And yes, those are even more jigs on the walls.

One of the more interesting parts of QC, the negatives. These are the opposite ends of the flanges found on each Supersprint exhaust component, and each piece is tested with them to confirm a proper mating seal.

HJS race cat. Those who know the business know these are the best. Those who don't, this is why Supersprint race cat mids are expensive. The majority of the cost is this item. One of the few parts that is outsourced.

This is also where the polish level of the tips are inspected before being finished (chrome, satin black, satin silver, etc). The applied finish hinges heavily on the right prep work. The smudge is a fingerprint.

Pressed Parts:

Another item Supersprint is known for is their 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, 4-2, and in the case of the E60 M5, 5-1 collectors. Making them requires specialized negatives, precision to not create conflicting flows, and the aforementioned welding.

The press.

They make the negatives in house, as the R&D into the design of them is fairly intense. This is true for many of the tools and such that they use.

A 4-1 negative. Note the smoothness of the curves as to not reverse pulse waves and create turbulence, both of which reduce flow and power. This applies to the pipe bending mentioned earlier.

Prototype 4-1 collector. Even in this "rough" state is a fantastic bit of work.

Cleaning and Shipping

Final stage for all items is heading over to the cleaning and shipping facility. It's hard to convey how large the initial plant was, but I can definitively say it is significantly larger than the Lamborghini factory I visited the previous day. This is also ignoring the large yards of even more jigs. I have visited other places like Fabspeed before, and frankly, they felt like a Meineke in comparison.

The cleaning and shipping building is actually a separate facility across the street, which itself is actually quite large.

Exhaust components are hooked up to this rotisserie, where they are cycled through a number of cleaning bathes to remove process grime and work oils.

The slight yellowing is normal for 304 stainless, and is as far as they will ever wear (a fact I can back up as someone with Supersprint components that have seen over 100,000 miles of the rust belt).

Items are then shrink wrapped and packed up for shipping if there is an active order on for them. If the item has to be specially made, there can be up to a 3 month lead time to work it into the production cycle.

Finished product storage.

Items are sorted out by manufacturer and then car. Gracious host blurred out for his privacy.

Stacks upon stacks...

Talk about being a kid in a candy store.

Conclusion:

I went in with extremely high expectations (most of you know I'm pretty uncompromising to say the least), and still left highly impressed with their operations. From the R&D calculations to the artisan welding, every part was on a higher level than I anticipated. I'm not one to lavish praise, but here, I really feel like I can't say enough. I now know exactly why they make exactly the power they claim if not more. I now know why all their parts fit exactly like stock or better. I now know why even the OEs struggle to come up with header designs that are even on the same level. And I now know why it is so easy for Supersprint to be completely honest with their products.

The entire team felt like a giant family (it is also family business), each of which had great pride to be a part of such a company. Supersprint has been around since 1955. The business plan is not short-term profits and a quick buck before the consumer finds out what they purchased. They are in it for the long haul and it truly shows. In this modern Walmart economy, we are lucky to have them. I hope to still be using them 50 years from now with whatever car I have at that point.

Parting Gift:

Being in a foreign country, it's not often you strike up a real conversation about interests you actually have. Being a die hard car guy, that conversation window narrows substantially. Fortunately, as one might expect, Supersprint is full of car guys. Conversation immediately went to the glorious driving roads Italy has, and how best to access the cream of the crop between Florence and Rome (my next destination). On their recommendation and GPS coordinates, we found the best driving roads I have ever been on in my life. I want to move to Italy.

The result was 8 hours of pedal to the metal back roads bombing up and down mountain switchbacks and large rolling hills of Italy. It was simply incredible. I certainly wanted my own car, but was surprised how well the rental Fiat 500 stood up to 8 hours of high RPMs/redlining, extreme brake use (had to pause for fade), and non stop WOT. Thank goodness it was manual and on Michelin tires, which with the window cracked provided the auditory feedback on grip that the EPS via the wheel could not.

Driving Video:

Clearly, HD is best.

Last edited by TheSt|G; 03-10-2014 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 05:13 PM   #2
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Reserved.
      03-09-2014, 05:46 PM   #3
Fume
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS

Thanks for the nice writeup! I find it fascinating to see the behind the scenes of how these companies do their stuff.

New Car: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS | Stock for now
Old Car: 2013 BMW 128i | 6MT | BMW Performance Grills | CDV Delete | SSK | Performance Exhaust | M3 RSFB | TCKR DA

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 06:16 PM   #4
Deutsche-Broke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Very cool stuff.. Thanks for sharing.. I love the smaller aspect craftsmanship.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 06:23 PM   #5
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Can you share the locations of these roads?

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #6
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
Can you share the locations of these roads?
Heading south out of Firenze(Florence), use TomTom to navigate to Falciani city center. Once you clear Firenze city limits, navigate to latitude 43.0991333 by longitude 11.3448167 with the settings changed to Winding Roads Maximum. Keep those settings and nav to Montalcino and then Orvieto in that order.

This is the general idea, but without the amazing TomTom winding roads feature:

http://www.bing.com/maps/#Y3A9NDMuMj...4wfjB+JmF2PTEy
      03-10-2014, 01:09 AM   #7
Dafttt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT

I've said it before and I'll say it again, they should be paying you.

A lot.

EDIT: Oh, and of course, thanks for sharing! What a vacation.

Last edited by Dafttt; 03-10-2014 at 01:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 04:51 AM   #8
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: All of them

Great write up. I have been there a few times myself now and still in awe of the size of the place. The food is fantastic in that region too. :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 07:11 AM   #9
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Auto View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again, they should be paying you.

A lot.

EDIT: Oh, and of course, thanks for sharing! What a vacation.
Hah!

Would be nice, but frankly at this point I just want companies like them to just do well. I'm incredibly frustrated with the sea of low quality junk out there in every market.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 09:03 AM   #10
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Damn, very nice and informative write-up Stig. Thanks!

Enjoy the gelatos and pizzas while you're there. You won't find better anywhere in the world than there.
      03-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #11
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

great write up man. supersprint make some amazing stuff and the quailty is unsurpassed. how long was the tour?
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 10:50 AM   #12
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Damn, very nice and informative write-up Stig. Thanks!

Enjoy the gelatos and pizzas while you're there. You won't find better anywhere in the world than there.
The food is fantastic. I wasn't kidding when I said I would seriously consider moving to Italy if I had an oppurtunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie1 View Post
great write up man. supersprint make some amazing stuff and the quailty is unsurpassed. how long was the tour?
A few hours. Basically consisted of the free time that they had.
      03-10-2014, 12:13 PM   #13
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Bump, video is up.
      03-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #14
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
good write up - looks like you had a fun time.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 01:21 PM   #15
Matt@Supersprint-USA
Private
Rep
Drives: NA

very good write up!

PM us or call us at 877.691.2825 if you guys need anything!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 09:28 PM   #16
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Heading south out of Firenze(Florence), use TomTom to navigate to Falciani city center. Once you clear Firenze city limits, navigate to latitude 43.0991333 by longitude 11.3448167 with the settings changed to Winding Roads Maximum. Keep those settings and nav to Montalcino and then Orvieto in that order.
That video is hypnotic If only you could have had SuperSprint lend you a Fiat 500 exhaust for the trip

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 07:08 AM   #17
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
That video is hypnotic If only you could have had SuperSprint lend you a Fiat 500 exhaust for the trip
I would have preferred a hydraulic steering rack.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 07:23 AM   #18
Appeltje
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 F82

Nice write up! Thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 07:24 AM   #19
Divio
DIVIO | photography za
South Africa
Rep
Drives: e46 325Ci FL M Sport; e36 M3

Great Writeup and Photo Diary , would have never thought SS had an operation like this.

Flickr DIVIO | photography za
Instagram: Diviophotography
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 08:23 AM   #20
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

One could say Supersprint is getting "jig"gy with it.

Yeah, I went there.

Very cool post, thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 08:23 AM   #21
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Great innovation behind each exhaust produced. Had 2 supersprint exhausts on two different BMW models, and 1 headers: all were great quality.

Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 08:26 AM   #22
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Spectacular information and photos! Thanks a lot for writing this up

And I agree totally that nothing comes close to Supersprint in terms of price vs. quality. Best exhaust for the money.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0