BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Is this the start of HPFP problems?

Hiya,

I've driven 22,000 trouble-free miles in my Dinan flashed 135i but over the past couple of weeks I have noticed some longer cranking times on start-ups. The engine has always started and I have had no engine warning lights come up.

The engine generally starts instantly on the button and these longer cranking times have varied from about a second to five seconds. I have experienced no problems at all in actual driving.

Is this a symptom of the dreaded HPFP problems and can I expect things to get worse or might this be something else like a weakening battery etc?

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers

Jack
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
Rep
Drives:

Yeah, those are the symptoms. Have you had the HPFP replaced? If not I would reflash the ECU to stock and take it in for the recall. I had this done last week and now I have no more long cranks or rough idles.

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

Yes it starts with slower cranks for a few months then one day it wont start period!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 02:12 PM   #4
MikesOne
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 Sedona Red 135i

Just had my HPFP and 5 injectors replaced under a recall and have the Dinan stage 2 flash. I just contacted a dealer that works with Dinan and they took care of all the recalls including new software and preserved the Dinan flash. Previously I had gone to a dealer that is not Dinan approved for my first service and they had to work around the codes with some difficulty. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #5
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for all your replies.

I'm in the UK and we haven't had very many HPFP failures here (possibly because our gas has less ethanol content). For this reason I'm not sure the dealer will know much about the HPFP problems which are well known to posters on this site. I'm not too worried about the Dinan flash as I'm using a Dinan dealer.

Do you think I have to wait for it to actually fail before the dealer will take me seriously or will they replace it based on these early symptoms? Will there already be error codes stored in the software despite such mild symptoms?

Jack
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 08:02 AM   #6
135Dan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 135i

It does happen in the UK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
Thanks for all your replies.

I'm in the UK and we haven't had very many HPFP failures here (possibly because our gas has less ethanol content). For this reason I'm not sure the dealer will know much about the HPFP problems which are well known to posters on this site. I'm not too worried about the Dinan flash as I'm using a Dinan dealer.

Do you think I have to wait for it to actually fail before the dealer will take me seriously or will they replace it based on these early symptoms? Will there already be error codes stored in the software despite such mild symptoms?

Jack
Fazerboy,

I had the same "classic" symptoms for about a month before my car started with some serious spluttering and reduced engine power warning light. I took it to the dealer yesterday and they diagnosed "probable HPFP failure" and have offered a software update first and then replacement of the HPFP if that doesn't fix it. I have covered 25K miles.

I would take it to the dealer, especially if they are Dinan. Which dealer is that by the way?

Dan
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 08:39 AM   #7
Juicehead
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Raptor

I am on my second HPFP. I have only had it approximately 2 months and am already starting to see long cranks on a cold start.

I could be wrong... as I am alot these days but it seems tunes hasten the demise of these HPFPs...
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 08:51 AM   #8
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

I have a related question, what happens if you're car is out of warranty? When your warranty expires is it then up to you to pay for the replacement of sub-par parts with another sub-par part that may fail a month later?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 10:14 AM   #9
rader1
Banned
Rep

Thanks for the info, how would I know if my car is covered? Its an 08 m6 with 30xxx miles
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #10
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Dan View Post
Fazerboy,

I had the same "classic" symptoms for about a month before my car started with some serious spluttering and reduced engine power warning light. I took it to the dealer yesterday and they diagnosed "probable HPFP failure" and have offered a software update first and then replacement of the HPFP if that doesn't fix it. I have covered 25K miles.

I would take it to the dealer, especially if they are Dinan. Which dealer is that by the way?

Dan
Well it's Birds in Uxbridge who are not a BMW dealer but will deal with all the hassle for me by taking it to their local BMW dealer etc.

Jack
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 12:06 PM   #11
rader1
Banned
Rep

Thanks, I appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 12:14 PM   #12
Impervious
UNC FTW
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 135i

It seems like since the latest fix there hasn't been any real reports of them dying. Do you guys think the latest fix is the real deal?

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #13
Impervious
UNC FTW
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
Unfortunately 2-3 people on these forums have already reported the 446 HPFPs failing in only a few months use. So at this point no one knows if BMW has truly identified the root cause(s) of the N54/N55 HPFP failures and developed a properly engineered solution.
It's still hard to believe BMW's engineers with millions of dollars at their disposal have yet to find a real solution.

My car has ~38,000 miles on it with the first pump, starts are instant. I told the dealer to hold off on replacing it last time I was in.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 01:52 PM   #14
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

doesn't the 1M use a different fuel pump? I remember seeing different part numbers

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 01:54 PM   #15
mad chemist
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Dan View Post
Fazerboy,

Dan

Guys,

Had the same starting problems. Got more and more difficult to start from 32K miles on wards. No limp modes but I got a few fuel pressure codes (from BT scan). BMW re-flashed with new map that primes the HPFP. This curried the long cranks for a bout 2K miles, then I started getting really bad cold starts and the car threw a few limp modes (re-set by turning the car off/on again). I told the dealer that it sounds like HPFP and they said they had never heard of this on the N54 engine (oh really, I thought). I took the car in a week ago and they replaced the HPFP. So-far, so good, the car is running just fine and starts immediately. I didn't realise how bad it had got until the car was 100% again. The car now runs a lot smoother on tick-over, but I feel no change under load, than before.

Dealer said the other problems could have been LPFP (1 per side of fuel tank) or pressure sensor(s) FYI.

Cheers,

Mad.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 02:08 PM   #16
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad chemist View Post
Guys,

Had the same starting problems. Got more and more difficult to start from 32K miles on wards. No limp modes but I got a few fuel pressure codes (from BT scan). BMW re-flashed with new map that primes the HPFP. This curried the long cranks for a bout 2K miles, then I started getting really bad cold starts and the car threw a few limp modes (re-set by turning the car off/on again). I told the dealer that it sounds like HPFP and they said they had never heard of this on the N54 engine (oh really, I thought). I took the car in a week ago and they replaced the HPFP. So-far, so good, the car is running just fine and starts immediately. I didn't realise how bad it had got until the car was 100% again. The car now runs a lot smoother on tick-over, but I feel no change under load, than before.

Dealer said the other problems could have been LPFP (1 per side of fuel tank) or pressure sensor(s) FYI.

Cheers,

Mad.
Mad,

Which dealer was this? If my dealer is not sure I can perhaps refer them to yours....

I assume they have replaced the HPFP and nothing else.

Cheers

Jack
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 02:20 PM   #17
mad chemist
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
Mad,

Which dealer was this? If my dealer is not sure I can perhaps refer them to yours....

I assume they have replaced the HPFP and nothing else.

Cheers

Jack

PM sent. Oh, and no other work needed (injectors etc..).
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 02:56 PM   #18
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
Thanks for the info, how would I know if my car is covered? Its an 08 m6 with 30xxx miles
Im sorry, did nobody else notice this?

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 03:00 PM   #19
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
lol I was wondering that too!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 09:02 PM   #20
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
He had a different question.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 10:59 PM   #21
SixBanger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Mine took a dump out of no where last year in February on a date. Since then I had to get it replaced again. The one thing that really pisses me off is that this car had no lag and BMW promised it to during 0-60 time. Eversince all the ffuel pumps have all been replaced, injectors replaced and all the software updates I have lag in the acceleration area and its awful!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 11:04 PM   #22
SixBanger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Im interested in knowing too what gas everyone is using? I moved from mobil to shell about 6 months ago.
Appreciate 0