BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-18-2024, 12:45 AM   #1
RexCoupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i M Coupe

I need help! CEL, fuel smell, smoke, knocking after downshifting

I downshifted and punched it. Immediately the car went limp, knocking, shaking smoking from exhaust and CEL light emmediatly came on saying reduced power take to dealer asap. I was close enough to limp the last 1000 feet to my house. It felt just like a charge pipe blew off but worse. Now there's smoke and fuel smell. The codes are random misfires PO300, 301, 302 Cylinder 1,2,3. The smoke from the tailpipe smells of raw fuel and it's white. My first thought was fuel injector. I also noticed a stored code for low coolant. Checked the reservoir and it's empty. So I smoke tested the charge pipe. The first leak was at the junction below the vacuum diaphragm housing. I disassemble the intake and began the next test at that junction. An even bigger leak is coming from under the exhaust manifold under by the turbo area. I removed all belly pans and got in there and it's so damn tight, all I can see is what appears to be a rectangular hole from what I think is the turbo but I really can't tell. It looks like a a rectangular cavity where exhaust would flow through with nothing attached. Could something have blown apart. There is a lot of oil seepage too, in the charge pipe walls, all the lines are soaked but no puddles just lots of residue splashed around in that front corner and power steering lines. The smoke is flowing freely from this hole I can barely see from this weird angle I'm looking through. The view is through the size of a dime. Tomorrow I'm going to use an endoscope to get in there and hopefully see where the smoke is coming from. After searching hundreds of videos, I can't find one that has a leak coming from under that area, creeping up from underneath along the edge of the 3rd sparkplug. The car ran mint until that sudden throttle burst, downshifted from 5th to 3rd at 40 mph and then pow!! Any ideas or help would be great, I will post a video of the smoke test. I'm just hoping, between the loss of coolant, that it's nothing catastrophic, event like a blown head gasket. The intake manifold has already been changed a year ago. I've put so much into the car it kills me to think that I may have to consider tearing the engine apart. I'm praying it's something I can tackle. Thanks guys.

Last edited by RexCoupe; 02-18-2024 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: I need opinions on what to look for or where to look
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 07:56 PM   #2
etr2016
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M - Black

If it's the injectors see if the dealer will cover them under the random extended warranty that BMW issued on them. Mine we're actually fine and BMW still replaced them two years ago.
2022 - Lexus ES350 - Black
Appreciate 1
ayao627.50
      03-13-2024, 11:44 AM   #3
RexCoupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i M Coupe

Thank you I'm gonna call them today. I won't get my hopes up. Sounds to good to be true but I'll try asking.
Appreciate 0