BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-10-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
szcyxzh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128I

Advices on suspension, rims, and tires upgrade.

I am excited that my 2012 128i (M pkg, 6MT, xenon) will come here in about two weeks. It even comes with free Bluetooth and USB which i placed my order at later July.

When considering my purchase, money is the major issue. I do not want to have a fat car debt, plus the stock power of the 128 is quite enough for me for city cruising. Therefore, i decided to save a portion of the money to make some upgrades later.

My thoughts as of now for the upgrade list: Black kidney grill, suspension, and rims, possibly the tires.

1. Rims and black kidney grill: i just prefer black in my life, therefore ordered as Jet Black and Black leatherette. Want to make it more aggressive looking, so black rims for sure. On BMW website, there is one type of black rims called BMW Double Spoke Style 182 in Black Individual Rims (http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...cessories.aspx). It sells for $466 (front) and $500 (rear) each installed (price as of BMW website). What do you think of this stocked 18' OEM one? Generally, i am only considering 18' rims. Whether it is OEM or aftermarket, i do not really care.

2. Suspension. Whether to upgrade the suspension when the 128i only comes with 230HP? My argument is to get a more tight feeling on every corner and i am planning to keep the 128i for at least 6 years untill BMW all electrics comes out SATISFIED. The BMW Performance Suspension, retails for $1,654 (could get better price from UnitedBMW i believe) and $2,254 installed. This seems really attractive for me since it is OEM quality and tested be to compatible well. I've seen members here upgraded their suspensions to KW model. I am still not very familiarize with this. Comments?

3. Winter tire. I purchase my vehicle from Florida (Florida resident) and get it courtesy delivered to Iowa here (LONG Story here). The M pkg comes with performance tires and it is RFT also. I am sure i will change to 18' rims soon, but if not at the moment, i will have the 17' rims run for a while. Just wondering if the stocked performance tires would work here at Iowa? Close to the Chicago area. I asked my friend. Basically she told me not many people here use rear wheel driving cars and recommended me to have some sand bags in the trunk to balance the overall weight. Will not have MUCH snow but for sure will have some. But i am mainly using my car for city cruising. Necessary to change to winter tires or all season tires??? If so, what's are some good choice for 17' and 18' pls?

I have a $4,000 budget for my list and that's all money i have would invest into the 128i. I appreciate any comments you have. Glad to join the 1 club here. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
jimmy1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128i sedona Red

Rims: you should see vmr or apex I think they look a lot better, and you can order them in black. Another option is buy a used 261 style and powder coat.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

You will definitely need winter tires in Iowa. If you want to stay with RFTs, I'd recommend the Dunlop Wintersport M3 on 17" wheels. It is a performance snow tire and will get you through moderate snow and still give decent dry road handling. For maximim snow, consider a "studless" winter tire - the tradeoff being a jelly like feel when turning on dry roads.

Do not even consider trying to use the stock summer tires if there is ANY snow or ice on the roads - and I'd be very, very careful if driving with them on dry roads at below 40o temps.

Congrats on the new ride - enjoy!

Tom
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
szcyxzh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for this suggestion. Just checked the average low temp here. It is 20-30 from Nov. till Feb. I smell financial crisis already.

Edit:

Since i will eventually want to change to 18' rims, i am considering to a order a set of rims and winter tires now. Any good tires on 18' rims? Of course, i have no idea of which 18' black rims i will pick.

Thanks again.

Last edited by szcyxzh; 09-10-2011 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by szcyxzh View Post
I am excited that my 2012 128i (M pkg, 6MT, xenon) will come here in about two weeks. It even comes with free Bluetooth and USB which i placed my order at later July.

When considering my purchase, money is the major issue. I do not want to have a fat car debt, plus the stock power of the 128 is quite enough for me for city cruising. Therefore, i decided to save a portion of the money to make some upgrades later.

My thoughts as of now for the upgrade list: Black kidney grill, suspension, and rims, possibly the tires.

1. Rims and black kidney grill: i just prefer black in my life, therefore ordered as Jet Black and Black leatherette. Want to make it more aggressive looking, so black rims for sure. On BMW website, there is one type of black rims called BMW Double Spoke Style 182 in Black Individual Rims (http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...cessories.aspx). It sells for $466 (front) and $500 (rear) each installed (price as of BMW website). What do you think of this stocked 18' OEM one? Generally, i am only considering 18' rims. Whether it is OEM or aftermarket, i do not really care.

2. Suspension. Whether to upgrade the suspension when the 128i only comes with 230HP? My argument is to get a more tight feeling on every corner and i am planning to keep the 128i for at least 6 years untill BMW all electrics comes out SATISFIED. The BMW Performance Suspension, retails for $1,654 (could get better price from UnitedBMW i believe) and $2,254 installed. This seems really attractive for me since it is OEM quality and tested be to compatible well. I've seen members here upgraded their suspensions to KW model. I am still not very familiarize with this. Comments?

3. Winter tire. I purchase my vehicle from Florida (Florida resident) and get it courtesy delivered to Iowa here (LONG Story here). The M pkg comes with performance tires and it is RFT also. I am sure i will change to 18' rims soon, but if not at the moment, i will have the 17' rims run for a while. Just wondering if the stocked performance tires would work here at Iowa? Close to the Chicago area. I asked my friend. Basically she told me not many people here use rear wheel driving cars and recommended me to have some sand bags in the trunk to balance the overall weight. Will not have MUCH snow but for sure will have some. But i am mainly using my car for city cruising. Necessary to change to winter tires or all season tires??? If so, what's are some good choice for 17' and 18' pls?

I have a $4,000 budget for my list and that's all money i have would invest into the 128i. I appreciate any comments you have. Glad to join the 1 club here. Cheers!
1) you can find better deals and wheels elsewhere.
2) save your money...since you are probably not going to track it.
3) Winter tires in Iowa are a must in addition to sand bags (two) in the trunk. The majority of us run 17" on all fours with good winter tires in the Winter.

BMWCCA member

Last edited by ken1137; 09-10-2011 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: edit
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
szcyxzh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
You will definitely need winter tires in Iowa. If you want to stay with RFTs, I'd recommend the Dunlop Wintersport M3 on 17" wheels. It is a performance snow tire and will get you through moderate snow and still give decent dry road handling. For maximim snow, consider a "studless" winter tire - the tradeoff being a jelly like feel when turning on dry roads.

Do not even consider trying to use the stock summer tires if there is ANY snow or ice on the roads - and I'd be very, very careful if driving with them on dry roads at below 40o temps.

Congrats on the new ride - enjoy!

Tom
Tom, except for RFT, do you have some other suggestions of none-RFT on 17' or possibly 18' rims? THX.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 02:05 PM   #7
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by szcyxzh View Post
Tom, except for RFT, do you have some other suggestions of none-RFT on 17' or possibly 18' rims? THX.

Check out the TireRack.com for comparisons of various winter tires as well as tire/wheel packages for your car.

The Dunlop D3 looks like a non RFT performance winter similar to the M3 and there should be lots of choices for studless snow tires.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 02:17 PM   #8
singular
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

Lots of good advice here:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=228

And here:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=252
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #9
Xtian
Illuminated
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I have black on black on black and am thinking the black kidneys kinda make it look like my grill is missing.

Anyway, I would run the stock rims and tires until the weather turns to shit and then swap the rubber out for some winter gear.

In the meantime, you can get a good price on the black 182s at getbmwparts.com (I am not associated with them, simply a customer).

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

Sizzle them out with some good rubber for when the weather gets fun again.

Done.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 04:23 PM   #10
szcyxzh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtian View Post
I have black on black on black and am thinking the black kidneys kinda make it look like my grill is missing.

Anyway, I would run the stock rims and tires until the weather turns to shit and then swap the rubber out for some winter gear.

In the meantime, you can get a good price on the black 182s at getbmwparts.com (I am not associated with them, simply a customer).

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

Sizzle them out with some good rubber for when the weather gets fun again.

Done.
Woo, thanks a lot for this information.

After did a little research on the wheel/tire section, it seems many 1addicts have been convinced by the Alufelgen CS7, appropriate offset with no rubs. If going to 18' rims, should choose this one though.

Think about the money factor, with a set of new Alufelgen CS7, winter tires, plus new new tires, adds up to 3G here. I need to cool down a bit probably.

Thanks all. No suspension needed as suggested by ken1137, and probably hold my pocket for now as suggested by TwinDarkness.

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 03:46 PM   #11
ces69jen
Registered
Rep
Drives: 135i Blue Water w/ Lemon drop

can I offer a suggestion? Keep the car stock. dont do anything to it. It will be worth more down the road. You will never get back the money you put into it. I spent dough on my 1.8GTI years ago...never again. I had Oettenger everything...the works. I got shit for it when I traded it for my '09 135i. A car like this 1 Series really doesnt need much else...except for maybe...maybe window tint with UV to protect the interior. And, you might want to pickup a car cover...especially if you leave it outdoors like me. otherwise, spend the money on dinner and drinks for the ladies!

This advice comes from a grown man...peace out young folks.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 04:04 PM   #12
szcyxzh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ces69jen View Post
can I offer a suggestion? Keep the car stock. dont do anything to it. It will be worth more down the road. You will never get back the money you put into it. I spent dough on my 1.8GTI years ago...never again. I had Oettenger everything...the works. I got shit for it when I traded it for my '09 135i. A car like this 1 Series really doesnt need much else...except for maybe...maybe window tint with UV to protect the interior. And, you might want to pickup a car cover...especially if you leave it outdoors like me. otherwise, spend the money on dinner and drinks for the ladies!

This advice comes from a grown man...peace out young folks.
Thanks. I am taking it as treasure. Will only throw $300 for the front M3 sway bar and a set of winter tires. nothing else.
Appreciate 0