BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-18-2014, 06:13 PM   #3191
AGAV13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135is (#363/586)

I attended my second autocross today (in my 135is). I fully turned off the traction control and all I have to say is Wow! The car is an entirely different animal, the wheels break loose, tires smoke up, the rear end kicks out and drifts. I could really benefit from some stickier more performance based tires or track/autocross tires and a true limited slip differential but I still managed to come in third in my group. Was running with (supercharged mustangs/challenger, lotus exige s, multiple wrx's, etc.) I participate with the Porsche Car Club of America so I'm in what's considered to be the "Other" group hence the variety of cars. It was a blast, I highly recommend it to everyone. It truly is a great way to learn your car and how to control it.
SOLD
2013 BMW 135is #363/586 - AW, Black Boston Leather w/ Exclusive Blue Stitching, Prem., Tech, DCT, Heated Seats, HK
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 08:45 PM   #3192
Worra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is/6, 1995 540i/6

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMsport View Post
Thanks for these updates, and great job covering each topic. Summarizing the lessons learned is a very helpful pro touch.

I remember when your bumper damage happened, but any thoughts on the cause of the chips on your driver's door? IIRC, you have the mud guards installed which would ideally reduce the debris thrown from the front tires. Would clear film saved the situation?

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the subframe inserts. Any 'gotchas' or lessons learned from that install?
Hard to say because I actually removed the mud guards in anticipation of respraying my rear bumper and thought it'd be silly to have mud guards on front but not on rear so I removed all 4. But even had I kept them not sure it would've helped seeing how high the chip is and it's dead center on the side. I'm pretty sure the stone came directly from the side. But yes film would've definitely prevented the damage and I prefer the film since I know the entire length of the car is protected.

No real tips for inserts besides making sure you have right tools and pay special attention to the orientation of front/rear and top/bottom. The job is straight forward

It's funny how ice modded the car so much in else than 1 year but with exception of inserts, tints, hardwiring few devices, the rest were truly OEM upgrades hence the difference is very subtle. But I can't stop thinking about dropping the car. The wheel gap is killing me but don't want to slam her neither. I want to retain factory comfort as well and even spring / shock combos like the Bilstein B12 kit seem like it'd be harsh for NYC roads. Best solution seems the BMW Performance kit but it's so overpriced at $1300. For less than $200 more I can KW Street Comfort coilovers which will handle better, presumably provide same comfort and I can dial ride height exactly how I like. Decisions decisions...
Looking what I can get in the Dinan stage 3 suspension package, it actually seems like a pretty decent price for the parts.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 08:43 AM   #3193
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worra View Post
Looking what I can get in the Dinan stage 3 suspension package, it actually seems like a pretty decent price for the parts.
Bilstein B12 seems like the natural choice given my needs but I can't help but think they will still be too harsh for NYC roads. Not to mention every pic I've seen shows the fronts being lower than I'd prefer. I've had success with H&R OE (the mildest of their offering, OE, sport and super sport) but apparently folks reported they dropped the ball for the 1-series. It appears the rear spring is the same as the one on the E9x series. That really leaves only Dinan, BMW PS, and KW SC...
      05-19-2014, 08:17 PM   #3194
leohern037
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is #445

I hit 5K last week so I did a mid cycle oil change. Actually not mid cycle since my CBS just went from 8K to 7K. At this rate my first dealer service will fall somewhere between 12K and 13K. To think this oil could have been in there for another 7K!

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 01:32 AM   #3195
Canasian
It has finally arrived. It's pretty cute!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is Space Gray DCT

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
I've owned the car for about 7 months and the sound and wheels get a lot of attention. Multiple people have mistaken it for a 1M but likely because they don't know the 135is exists. I'll blast a tunnel fairly gently with my exhaust and I'll have people staring at my car in curiosity. It's so damn glorious this piece of machinery.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 06:22 AM   #3196
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

Getting down to my last 2 months of ownership. Loving the nice weather, and getting the most out of the car while I have it.

I must drive like an old lady because one time I stepped on it in first and second and a bunch of carbon blew out of the exhaust (saw it in the rearview). Tried to repeat several times and all was clear. I guess this is a function of city/town driving and not much full-throttle bursts to redline.

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 11:38 AM   #3197
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb135is View Post
Getting down to my last 2 months of ownership. Loving the nice weather, and getting the most out of the car while I have it.

I must drive like an old lady because one time I stepped on it in first and second and a bunch of carbon blew out of the exhaust (saw it in the rearview). Tried to repeat several times and all was clear. I guess this is a function of city/town driving and not much full-throttle bursts to redline.
Last two months of ownership???

How long have you had the car? Was this a short-term lease?

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #3198
mb135is
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Last two months of ownership???

How long have you had the car? Was this a short-term lease?
No, the potential (and need) to purchase another home closer to where I work means that the payment just doesn't make sense any longer. This is the reality of looking for real estate in central/north new jersey. Well, it's the reality if you're making what I make and looking where I'm looking, etc... You get the idea.

Anyhoozle, my father has always liked the car, so he's buying it off of me (paying off the loan) and topping it with his E46, so I will be sans car payment.

Had this "deal" not been an option, I'd have just kept it and made it all work, but it's something I have to jump on. Plus the car stays in the family and will be well loved. It changes ownership, but I won't lose sight of good ole #180.

And the bonus is I love the E46 platform. I have not yet grown "attached" to my E82 as I have my previous E46s; I think it all has to do with interior stuff that my OCD has yet to accept.

The "new" car is a 2002 325 coupe with 50k miles in perfect condition and maintained to high standards. Sport package, premium, etc... OB over sand. It'll do just fine!

I don't love wood trim, but that is easily replaced. I don't love the lack of an anthracite headliner, but if it has to be another color, then to my OCD it has to match the rest of the interior, which it does in this case. I will desperately miss the E82 steering wheel, but that is easily fixed should I decide to do so.

I am pumped to get actual intermittent wipers back! Also can't wait to get that silly temperature wheel in between the dash vents. Little things that you just get used to are difficult to get over! Oh, and I'm pumped about an interior that doesn't incessantly rattle.

Alas, the 135is will be mine again one day. And I'll still hang here. I'm proud of what this thread has become, proud to have started it. I like all of the people who contribute here -- like your attitudes and how you show general respect and keep your arguments to other threads.

Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 05:13 PM   #3199
Worra
Captain
Rep

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Nice clean E46, and 3 pedals to boot.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 05:19 PM   #3200
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
No, the potential (and need) to purchase another home closer to where I work means that the payment just doesn't make sense any longer. This is the reality of looking for real estate in central/north new jersey. Well, it's the reality if you're making what I make and looking where I'm looking, etc... You get the idea.

Anyhoozle, my father has always liked the car, so he's buying it off of me (paying off the loan) and topping it with his E46, so I will be sans car payment.

Had this "deal" not been an option, I'd have just kept it and made it all work, but it's something I have to jump on. Plus the car stays in the family and will be well loved. It changes ownership, but I won't lose sight of good ole #180.

And the bonus is I love the E46 platform. I have not yet grown "attached" to my E82 as I have my previous E46s; I think it all has to do with interior stuff that my OCD has yet to accept.

The "new" car is a 2002 325 coupe with 50k miles in perfect condition and maintained to high standards. Sport package, premium, etc... OB over sand. It'll do just fine!

I don't love wood trim, but that is easily replaced. I don't love the lack of an anthracite headliner, but if it has to be another color, then to my OCD it has to match the rest of the interior, which it does in this case. I will desperately miss the E82 steering wheel, but that is easily fixed should I decide to do so.

I am pumped to get actual intermittent wipers back! Also can't wait to get that silly temperature wheel in between the dash vents. Little things that you just get used to are difficult to get over! Oh, and I'm pumped about an interior that doesn't incessantly rattle.

Alas, the 135is will be mine again one day. And I'll still hang here. I'm proud of what this thread has become, proud to have started it. I like all of the people who contribute here -- like your attitudes and how you show general respect and keep your arguments to other threads.
interesting 'situation' you've got going on over there!!!! Some sort of weird inner automotive trading circuitry!!!

do what you gotta do, man. hopefully you'll still hang around and have a laugh occasionally!

i was never a huge E46 fan....but the one you posted looks really really clean for what it is. Right transmission......nice colour too! good choice!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 05:22 PM   #3201
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canasian View Post
I've owned the car for about 7 months and the sound and wheels get a lot of attention. Multiple people have mistaken it for a 1M but likely because they don't know the 135is exists. I'll blast a tunnel fairly gently with my exhaust and I'll have people staring at my car in curiosity. It's so damn glorious this piece of machinery.
i know what you mean, man. i sit in traffic jams A LOT.....and even at 10 mph, if i let go of the throttle just a little bit i get this beautiful popping burble! I've been given so many thumbs up and stares just because of that i've lost count....lol. oh and the screaming tunnels.......the screaming tunnels!!!!

the PPK2 and PE exhaust combination is just magic.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 08:02 PM   #3202
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

Quote:

mb,
Looks and sounds like a nice car. Orient Blue with tan is a classic BMW color combo that never gets old! And with only 50K miles, it's barely broken in. You might "need" to put some better looking wheels on it though....

Sounds like a smart financial decision to fit your needs now. Best of luck, and you'll always be welcome here as this (awesome) thread's OP!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 08:40 PM   #3203
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
That's right, now I remember you mentioning this when I commented on selling cars to friends and relatives. How short my memory is these days...

Quote:
Nice! That is a great looking ride!!! You're definitely not roughing it... I'd be very happy to have that car as my DD!

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 03:38 PM   #3204
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

135is Compliment...and Insult

While I'd already seen this M2 stuff on the forum, but in Road and Track's coverage, they gave a shot out to the 135is, both praising it and insulting it at the same time.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-vide...-m2-nurburging

The quote was:

"And it goes without saying that it's better-looking by a long shot than the 135is, a car we otherwise loved, and it will almost assuredly be as lovable."

Pff, our cars look beautiful. They then link back to their original article/review of the 135is, "they're blue heaven." Good car, but man My Blue Heaven was an abortion of a movie.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 04:10 PM   #3205
mb135is
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
interesting 'situation' you've got going on over there!!!! Some sort of weird inner automotive trading circuitry!!!

do what you gotta do, man. hopefully you'll still hang around and have a laugh occasionally!

i was never a huge E46 fan....but the one you posted looks really really clean for what it is. Right transmission......nice colour too! good choice!
Thanks! Bottom line is that as an original owner of one of the few 135is cars, I'm part of this club, whether we're special or not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouper View Post
mb,
Looks and sounds like a nice car. Orient Blue with tan is a classic BMW color combo that never gets old! And with only 50K miles, it's barely broken in. You might "need" to put some better looking wheels on it though....

Sounds like a smart financial decision to fit your needs now. Best of luck, and you'll always be welcome here as this (awesome) thread's OP!
YES - M68s are a must on E46 non-ZHP, in my opinion.

Quote:
That's right, now I remember you mentioning this when I commented on selling cars to friends and relatives. How short my memory is these days...

Nice! That is a great looking ride!!! You're definitely not roughing it... I'd be very happy to have that car as my DD!
Yea, no complaints from me -- I'm very lucky.

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 06:18 AM   #3206
morningscifi
Null
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffyD View Post
Finally got that spoiler on. Now I have to get a glossy black diffuser to match the rest of the trim, throw on a LSD and some other suspension bits, and figure out how I'm gonna "fix" the textured metal interior trim...

I'm thinking of just doing some matching plastic around the center shift console and ashtray surround, and then doing an alcantara theme ala a 1M, except with blue stitching to match the seats. I dunno, yet.

Just about to get to washing the Z3M for Bimmerfest, so my 'is is gonna have to suffer dirt until next week. Have no idea why tacky stickers look delightful on the 1ers. Ha.
Is that the oem cf spoiler? Looks good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
I seriously think that mole skin thing is seeeerious overkill and completely unnecessary. I've never seen it done, but never really seen a car that seemed to need it and I've seen a ton of uber high end cars with tinted windows. Seems like a lot of work and effort and taking things apart without too much of a return. Any quality tint won't get damaged except in seriously bad/rare conditions and circumstances, and any reputable place comes with a lifetime guarantee. So, I'd only consider doing it if someone got a tint and THEN was noticing problems. Just my very biased two cents. Plus, I'm too damn crippled to do it in the first place. =P
when I originally bought my e90 I bought some of this prior to taking it to get tinted. After speaking to the tech however, he recommended against it. So I never used it and never had any issues in the 3 years with the 3 series. This may be because of the brand/type of material used maybe? I went to the same place and got the same tint this time around (without the moleskin) as well. I believe it's the FormulaOne Pinnacle series? I'll have to check when I get home.

That being said, my understanding is that bmw is notorious for marring tint films. I just have been lucky to not experience this firsthand.

Quote:
ordered some BMW Interior Cleaner to replace that disgusting puke-smelling Einzett (or whatever the spelling is) Cockpit cleaner stuff that was recommended here.....the BMW interior cleaner is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. very good actually.....stupid container though doesn't have a spray so you have to squirt it on, but whatever!
I just did a thorough wash and interior clean yesterday and used the Griots interior cleaner and vinyl dressing/protectant. It leaves the natural matte tone, only a slight initial cleaner smell from the cleaner and the protectant seems to be wholly unscented. Right now I would recommend this. We'll see over the long term. I have yet to use the chemical guys cleaner/protectant (all in one) - probably this weekend on the gf's subie.

in other news, check out this poor guy in PA from the hailstorm:

View post on imgur.com

oh god why
2013 135is | Le Mans Blue | #542 / 586

Last edited by morningscifi; 05-23-2014 at 06:23 AM.. Reason: sha-bam!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 08:14 AM   #3207
motorchimp
I have Brimbo's
Rep
Drives: 135is, X3

"Let's just hope they sort out the steering."

The steering is already sorted out, it's in the 135. It's called hydraulic. So here's to hoping they will fix something they're pushing in all their new cars by somehow deciding "hey the direction we're taking with our entire lineup shouldn't apply to this car!"

Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
While I'd already seen this M2 stuff on the forum, but in Road and Track's coverage, they gave a shot out to the 135is, both praising it and insulting it at the same time.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-vide...-m2-nurburging

The quote was:

"And it goes without saying that it's better-looking by a long shot than the 135is, a car we otherwise loved, and it will almost assuredly be as lovable."

Pff, our cars look beautiful. They then link back to their original article/review of the 135is, "they're blue heaven." Good car, but man My Blue Heaven was an abortion of a movie.

Last edited by motorchimp; 05-23-2014 at 08:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 08:59 AM   #3208
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningscifi View Post
in other news, check out this poor guy in PA from the hailstorm:

View post on imgur.com

oh god why
Maybe he could sell that car to Edward James Olmos? Ray Liotta? No?

What do they do when cars have hail damage like that? There any way to fix it short of replacing every panel? Please tell me all the 16 or 17 m badges survived undamaged at least. O=)
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 01:15 PM   #3209
Worra
Captain
Rep

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Oh man I saw that hail damaged M235 on reddit, terrible stuff
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 02:14 PM   #3210
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worra View Post
Oh man I saw that hail damaged M235 on reddit, terrible stuff
no worries...it's only an M235i.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 02:39 PM   #3211
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
no worries...it's only an M235i.
They should just cover each hail dent with another M badge. =) Seems fitting.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 02:43 PM   #3212
cmcdonald
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128i

I bet insurance will just take it to a paintless dent removal place to take out most of them and fill and paint the rest. If it was mine I would want it totaled, but I'm guessing they will fix it and fix it poorly
Appreciate 0