BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-09-2014, 11:52 AM   #23
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
I worry about this every time I have to go the mall or out to dinner in my car. Luckily so far I've made out good with two very unnoticeable dents in my passenger door. Not worth $200 yet to get them fixed. (What dealership quoted me)
      10-09-2014, 01:03 PM   #24
Kontra
Private
Rep
Drives: N51 128i

No more than 12 hours after I picked my car up from the body shop for a brand new hood/front bumper, I walk out to my car the next morning and I have a fat handprint on my hood, dragged down across to the driver side fender. I can't wait to not live in the city
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 10:16 PM   #25
red914
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i MT

A few weeks ago I had to pick up some photos from Walmart for my mother. I parked far away from everything. It was dark out but I parked near a street lamp. I get back to my car, fiddle with my phone a little and then look up and there is a 30/40-something year-old woman standing there begging for money so she could take the bus home. Based on some of the things she said I got a feeling that she wasn't very stable. I was worried if I said no or took off she would kick or scratch my car so I gave her $5 and left. Not a big deal but felt pretty uncomfortable the whole time.

No vandalism but I definitely got singled out because she saw me walking to a nice car in a remote area of the parking lot where she could essentially corner me.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 07:19 AM   #26
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

My evo x was keyed all over

No one messed with my BMW yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 07:29 AM   #27
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeineken View Post
I worry about this every time I have to go the mall or out to dinner in my car. Luckily so far I've made out good with two very unnoticeable dents in my passenger door. Not worth $200 yet to get them fixed. (What dealership quoted me)
$200 seems rather high to me for two small dents. Then again, they don't call it a stealership for nothin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red914 View Post
I definitely got singled out because she saw me walking to a nice car in a remote area of the parking lot where she could essentially corner me.
This has happened to me a few times. Mostly at traffic lights as I drive with my windows down almost 24/7. Though, if you can give me a good explanation as far as why you need money, I'll either buy you some food if it's convenient or hand you a couple bucks. I hope someone would help me out if my life went south and I needed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
My evo x was keyed all over
Holy shit that takes it to the next level. Sorry for your pain man.
      10-10-2014, 08:38 AM   #28
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Its cool it got an amazing paintjob. Then I opticoated it. Then I got tboned in a hit and run, and now I have a much nicer car, the 135 lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 08:52 AM   #29
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E36, E82, E90, F10, F80

Garage List
I've had every body panel keyed and my tires slashed...all in one night. Thankfully, USAA covered it all...but it still sucks none the less.
135is #502 of 586
BMW LED Performance Wheel | OEM FULL Carbon Fiber | E9X M3 Gauge Cluster | E9X Exterior Mirrors | E9X M3 Full Suspension | E9X M3 Diff | PT-CAN2 Enabled | Bilstiens | Michelin PSS's | NBT Navigation Retrofit with Touch Pad
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 08:56 AM   #30
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downeaster1 View Post
I've had every body panel keyed and my tires slashed...all in one night. Thankfully, USAA covered it all...but it still sucks none the less.
Yikes... Guess I won't be visiting Carlsbad anytime soon.
      10-10-2014, 08:58 AM   #31
Marc08EX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downeaster1 View Post
2011 135i 6MT | Alpine White | Terracotta Boston Leather | M-Sport | BMW Performance Exhaust Resonator Delete | Active Autowerke Signature Exhaust | BMW Performance Suspension | Blackline LCI Taillights | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | CF Rear Diffuser | PPK | E92 M3 FSB | Matte Black Kidney Grilles | VMR V710 Jet Anthracite | Michelin PSS | BMW SS Pedals
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 10:08 AM   #32
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

It isn't always that we have nice cars. My "other car", a 2006 Suzuki SUV, got hit in a parking lot at a home depot store about a year ago. Whoever did it didn't leave a note and I didn't see the substantial dent until the next day. It might have been a cart that did it. Whoever did it knew they did it. They were just careless and didn't have enough morality to take responsibility. I had it fixed under my comprehensive coverage and spent a little more of my money (beyond the deductable) to have some other minor damage fixed.

Some people just don't care/are careless. They should be car-less.
      10-10-2014, 10:16 AM   #33
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huecifer View Post
I wouldn't park out in the middle of nowhere, it just makes your car (no matter what it is) a target. I've seen people pissing on a vette parked out in the middle of an empty mall parking lot.

Honestly, if you can't deal with the normal wear and tear that comes with driving your car in a city, don't drive your car in a city. Or, get a different car. LOL, a friend of mine and I once saw someone parallel parking in front of my car and they bumped into it a bit while backing up. She wondered why I wasn't upset by this. Bumpers are for bumping, whatever. If I couldn't handle my car getting bumped into, I wouldn't have parallel parked it.
For me it's just the time lost dealing with the problem that bothers me. If I get bumped into, it's a car and parts can and will be replaced by your insurance company. But just dealing with all that shit sucks lol.

This makes me think of Pulp Fiction, "What's more chickenshit than fuckin' with a man's automobile? I mean, don't FUCK with another man's vehicle, It's just against the rules"

Anyways, throw some coins up their exhaust pipe, that shit will rattle and rattle! No traces, no signs that you did anything at all, only a rattle that can only be fixed by removing the muffler, costing them time, money, and the annoying sound for however long they want to put up with it
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 10:18 AM   #34
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
It isn't always that we have nice cars. My "other car", a 2006 Suzuki SUV, got hit in a parking lot at a home depot store about a year ago. Whoever did it didn't leave a note and I didn't see the substantial dent until the next day. It might have been a cart that did it. Whoever did it knew they did it. They were just careless and didn't have enough morality to take responsibility. I had it fixed under my comprehensive coverage and spent a little more of my money (beyond the deductable) to have some other minor damage fixed.

I was a witness to the very thing that happened to you. I was sitting in my car in the parking lot of a local library. I watched this old fart try to pull into a parking spot with his land yacht. I saw the angle he was coming in and said to myself there's no way he's going to get even half is car into that spot without backing out and re-adjusting. Just as I was finishing that thought, the old fart hits the car in front of him. Hit it hard enough for the car to rock back and forth. He sits there for a second, and then proceeds to back out and take off out of the parking lot. I jump out of my car trying to run down the car enough to get his license plates. But he was already out of the parking lot before I got close enough. I check the car he hit and fortunately, I didn't see any damage.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 10:51 AM   #35
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
That's why you need a dash cam! Records 1080p while car is even off and has motion detection.

10-10-2014, 11:06 AM   #36
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
That's why you need a dash cam! Records 1080p while car is even off and has motion detection.
Been thinking about getting a dash cam. Unfortunately it only watches in one direction right? Be nice if there was one out there that recorded 360*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisar82 View Post
This makes me think of Pulp Fiction, "What's more chickenshit than fuckin' with a man's automobile? I mean, don't FUCK with another man's vehicle, It's just against the rules"
Precisely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
It isn't always that we have nice cars. My "other car", a 2006 Suzuki SUV, got hit in a parking lot at a home depot store about a year ago. Whoever did it didn't leave a note and I didn't see the substantial dent until the next day. It might have been a cart that did it. Whoever did it knew they did it. They were just careless and didn't have enough morality to take responsibility.

This happened to me all the time when I had my Subaru. It was NOT a nice car. A good car, and one that didn't look beat up (until the end of it's life anyways) but it was definitely not a nice car. Go somewhere, come back, find new dents and scratches when I washed it that weekend. Came back to a huge dent in the rear quarter once. What I mean by huge was that it was at the reinforced corner right at the C pillar, and it was the size of a basketball. Someone hit it HARD with something equally hard. Mystery was no paint damage. That car had good paint.

I agree, careless, reckless, irresponsible, immoral drivers should have their cars confiscated and license revoked.
      10-13-2014, 04:36 PM   #37
firokzz
just another 1addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i, grey, convertible, stick

thankfully, the worst thing that's happened to me is that I got a note from someone apologizing for hitting my car. didn't leave a number or anything. it turned out to be my friend who was trying to pull a prank on me
another time I found sex handprints on the hood of my car (ill post a pic later). which also turned out to be my friends. hopefully it was just a joke and not the real . but that deff sucks and I feel for you OP
      10-13-2014, 05:17 PM   #38
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

OP - people suck. I've also had my past car damaged while parked. It sucks.

Over here in Germany, people respect cars more. It is a safe and respectful society. Also... they know there are cameras everywhere - and IF they get caught... they will pay and pay! But still "things" can happen. More often than not... these jealous morons set fire to a parked cars. They use a wood oven starter "brick" to light off one of the car's tires. Then before you know it a block of parked cars is set ablaze. It is a BIG problem in the big cities like: Berlin, Hamburg, Dusseldorf. Even in a safe orderly society you have whackos to deal with. Part of it too is the people who want to go back to the Communist days of east Berlin.

Just today in Regensburg, a 47 year old - unemployed postal worker was sentenced to three years in jail for setting fire to 10 parked cars. He did 300K euros of damage to them. Jail over here is like a college dorm. You don't wear a uniform, you can decorate your "room" and have a TV and pc. Its a joke. Btw... murder someone over here and you get six year sentence - maybe!

an old video to show you when things go awry in DE...
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 05:41 PM   #39
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
More often than not... these jealous morons set fire to a parked cars. They use a wood oven starter "brick" to light off one of the car's tires. Then before you know it a block of parked cars is set ablaze. It is a BIG problem in the big cities like: Berlin, Hamburg, Dusseldorf.

NOPE NOPE NOPE!