BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-22-2014, 07:23 PM   #1
takrdown
Other car was a submarine
Rep
Drives: i4M50 (waiting), 2013 R56 JCW

Airbag Contact Ring Issue? Steering wheel pop...

Hey guys...long story short I overspun the steering linkage when I was replacing the steering rack and I just turned the steering wheel after everything waas assembled and I heard and felt a pop....then no stereo controls from the wheel and an airbag light.

I take it this is the part that needs to be replaced:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-12-BMW-...p2054897.l4275

For a drawing this is the link and I think it's number 3:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...34&hg=61&fg=35

Has anyone done this and is it difficult? Is it just a case of removing the steering column shroud and reconnecting cables..a few screws and then have a nice day?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 10:22 AM   #2
takrdown
Rep

Bump for some help! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
mr_bean
Rep
Drives: '09 128i

Never done this repair but my manual says it's almost as easy as you think. Disconnect the battery before you start playing with the steering wheel (airbag) and take precautions to prevent the same issue that caused this failure in the first place. Make sure the wheel is pointed straight ahead, rock it back and forth so the steering lock engages and make sure that the new clock spring assembly is not over or under wound when installing it.
After you have everything back together you'll need to have the airbag error code erased AND you will have to have the steering angle sensor re-calibrated (it's integrated into the clock spring assembly). The dealer or a good indy shop can do this if you don't have the right diagnostic tool.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 05:00 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bean View Post
Never done this repair but my manual says it's almost as easy as you think. Disconnect the battery before you start playing with the steering wheel (airbag) and take precautions to prevent the same issue that caused this failure in the first place. Make sure the wheel is pointed straight ahead, rock it back and forth so the steering lock engages and make sure that the new clock spring assembly is not over or under wound when installing it.
After you have everything back together you'll need to have the airbag error code erased AND you will have to have the steering angle sensor re-calibrated (it's integrated into the clock spring assembly). The dealer or a good indy shop can do this if you don't have the right diagnostic tool.
Calibrating the optical steering sensor(SZL) is easy...

BMW steering wheel sensor re-setting…
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504482

Quote:
Originally Posted by @DriveHard
HOPE YOU READ THIS BEFORE YOU GO BACK..

sit in car,
start engine,
have steering wheel in straight ahead position
without pausing, turn wheel slowly all the way to the left and pause at the end for a second or 2
without passing, turn all the way to the right and pause at the end for a second or 2
repeat the last 2 steps and end in the straight ahead position.

turn off car, wait a minute, restart, and drive away for a few hundred feet.

you just calibrated your SZL ( steering wheel sensor to tell dsc if wheel is turned and to what degree)

other lights come on by default.

Good Luck...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 06:22 PM   #5
takrdown
Rep

Thanks MR. Bean and Dack.....that's what I thought. With a JB4 be able to clear an airbag code? God I hope so......
Appreciate 0