BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-18-2007, 05:47 PM   #1
cuban135i
Rep
Drives:

Remote Engine Starter for BMWs?

I was just reading on Honda's website about their Remote engine starter system which can be added for $499+install on a few models http://automobiles.honda.com/accord-...ory=ACCOR08203. Living in cold weather, this is something I would gladly pay for, specially if it was a dealer installed option. All I see BMW offering is the Comfort Access and coldweather packages. Is something like this available from BMW?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 05:56 PM   #2
juniormint
Private
Rep
Drives: soon to be 135i

A remote starter can be installed in any car. An automatic makes everything a lot easier since you don't have to be so up tight about not parking in gear. Of course I am talking about after market systems
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 06:41 PM   #3
Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

And deny yourself the pleasure of pushing the start button and hearing the engine roar to life?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 08:35 PM   #4
Wolfpack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Everything in my garage

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorMint View Post
A remote starter can be installed in any car. An automatic makes everything a lot easier since you don't have to be so up tight about not parking in gear. Of course I am talking about after market systems
That is not entirely true. It depends on the key programming for some vehicles. A starter for my Mercedes is not available, even with the Auto transmission due to the coding in the key. I never looked into it in my BMW since there are only a couple of starters available for manual transmission cars and is simply hard on a car to sit and idle. Even in subzero temps, you should never let the car warm up on idle for more than 30 to 40 seconds. The oil moves better simply driving at a lower RPM rate under load.