BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-28-2009, 10:13 PM   #1
White1
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 128i AW/Prem/PremAudio

No BMW PERF suspension for me?

So i was considering installing the BMW performance suspension on my 128i, but after speaking to my SA i found out that since i dont have the sport pack, i am not going to be able to get it. I asked him why, but he couldnt give me an answer, so i decided to post this and see if anyone has had the same issue, and may be able to shed some light as to why it cant be installed on a stock suspension.
Is there some other route for me to go in order to improve my suspension?, can i get away with a set of H&R springs on stock suspension maybe?
      10-28-2009, 11:04 PM   #2
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

fuck the h&r springs, just get the kw v2s if you can throw down for them. i cant speak to what your SA said. but kws are far superior to the bmw suspension
      10-28-2009, 11:16 PM   #3
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Check United BMW.
Notice on the Performance Suspension, you can order it even if you ordered your 1er w/o Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
Flat Out 32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: my feet.

Don't do the springs without the shocks, factory shocks will fail within a few months. Go with KW or PSS-9 or 10 to get a nice height setup.

Georgie Vazquez
Mayaguez, PR
R.I.P. 335i, 010 135i here!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White1 View Post
So i was considering installing the BMW performance suspension on my 128i, but after speaking to my SA i found out that since i dont have the sport pack, i am not going to be able to get it. I asked him why, but he couldnt give me an answer, so i decided to post this and see if anyone has had the same issue, and may be able to shed some light as to why it cant be installed on a stock suspension.
Is there some other route for me to go in order to improve my suspension?, can i get away with a set of H&R springs on stock suspension maybe?
That doesn't make any sense at all. I was actually looking into getting a 128i non-sport, then installing the BMW performance suspension afterward. There shouldn't be any problem with that. Unless there is something very different about Canadian-spec 1ers versus USA-spec 1ers, I think your SA just didn't know what was going on....

Granted, from what I hear, it'll be a pain to install the rear sway bar.... But there's no reason that can't be done.

I also agree with the people above....as a general rule, if you're going to get lower springs, get a matching set of sport shocks/struts to go with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
Macca916
Private
England
Rep
Drives: X6 XDrive35D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by White1 View Post
The perf suspension replaces the shocks and springs (ordered against your chassis number) and only reuses the upper strut bearing/mounts and rear anti roll bar for an M-Sport car so I would suspect for non M sport you'll get the rear ARB as well (listed as a part option in my parts list supplied with the performance kit). So cant understand why they wont supply, note Realoem lists it as two supplement options for Sport and M Sport cars (so not the SE?) with one part number ?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 05:41 PM   #7
jabwind51
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 BMW 130is, '97 BMW M3/4/5

Interesting. Is there even an option to retrofit the M Sport on a non-sport 128i? Would that be cheaper than getting the Performance Suspension?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 06:03 PM   #8
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

if you are just looking for the sport/Msport suspension there are a lot of people taking off their springs/shocks. You could pick up a lightly used set for way cheaper from someone here than new from a dealer.

I am doubtful that the rear sway on the non-sport is different. The sway on the sport is so thin I cannot imagine that there is an even thinner version out there. Seriously, if you have not looked at your rear sway you will be very surprised.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 06:15 PM   #9
Victory Road
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibaholic101 View Post
just get the kw v2s if you can throw down for them..... but kws are far superior to the bmw suspension
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 06:49 PM   #10
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14 View Post
if you are just looking for the sport/Msport suspension there are a lot of people taking off their springs/shocks. You could pick up a lightly used set for way cheaper from someone here than new from a dealer.

I am doubtful that the rear sway on the non-sport is different. The sway on the sport is so thin I cannot imagine that there is an even thinner version out there. Seriously, if you have not looked at your rear sway you will be very surprised.
I think the non-sport 128i just doesn't come with a rear sway bar at all.

But you're right, even the "sport" rear sway bar looks like a piece of linguini.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #11
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
I think the non-sport 128i just doesn't come with a rear sway bar at all.

But you're right, even the "sport" rear sway bar looks like a piece of linguini.
so the non-sport comes with softer springs and no rear sway? Wow, that is terrible.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 08:47 PM   #12
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

I'd also recommend kw. probably cheaper too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14 View Post
so the non-sport comes with softer springs and no rear sway? Wow, that is terrible.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 11:32 PM   #13
Nicky G
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i (M Sport, Premium)

Folks, sorry for dumb question, but I'm confused -- do the Sport and M-Sport 2010 135is actually have a different (sport) suspension system than the non-sport/M-Sports? Or is this only with the 128i? And is BMW's "performance" suspension a real step up from the "sport" suspension? Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0