BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-17-2012, 06:48 AM   #1
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Jack Stands--Helpful Observation

Last weekend I noticed something that may be helpful to everyone looking to use jack stands... I noticed that if I pull the t-bars out of my jack stands, the stand itself fits perfectly within the BMW's plastic jacking points. In other words, you do not need to fabricate or purchase blocks for the jacking points. These are the 2.0 ton Big Red stands sold at PepBoys. I suspect this may work with other stands as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
Ashock
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 128i 6MT in Monaco Blue

Is that safe? And you wouldn't get nearly the height you would with the t-bars in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
Last weekend I noticed something that may be helpful to everyone looking to use jack stands... I noticed that if I pull the t-bars out of my jack stands, the stand itself fits perfectly within the BMW's plastic jacking points. In other words, you do not need to fabricate or purchase blocks for the jacking points. These are the 2.0 ton Big Red stands sold at PepBoys. I suspect this may work with other stands as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

You'll have to be the judge on whether you think it's safe. My personal opinion is that it is safer than using the t-bars on blocks, especially aluminum blocks. You obviously loose some height, but it's tall enough to remove the wheels, change the oil, remove the mid pipes, etc. You won't be able to sit Indian-style under the car, but you'd be insane to do that anyway.
Appreciate 0