BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-04-2007, 11:15 AM   #1
Chris609
Rep
Drives:

Competitors to the coupe/cabrio?

So what are the cars out there that are direct competition for the coupe or cabrio versions of this car?? I can't really think of any small RWD 2+2 type coupe or convertible. :iono:
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2007, 01:47 PM   #2
Declan
Private
Rep
Drives:

Audi A3? Golf GTI? But those are both hatchbacks.. hrm.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2007, 04:05 PM   #3
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris609 View Post
So what are the cars out there that are direct competition for the coupe or cabrio versions of this car?? I can't really think of any small RWD 2+2 type coupe or convertible. :iono:

I'm gonna be in the market to replace my 2003 Z4 in 2008 (or 2009 at the latest), and the only 2 vehicles I'm considering (at this point) are the BMW 1er Cabriolet and the Audi A3 Cabriolet.
It'll be a tough choice between the 2 of them.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2007, 07:29 PM   #4
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris609 View Post
The only potential competitor I can come up with is a Kappa based 4-seat coupe or convertible, or even sedan. There is nothing but rumors at this point, but there has been suggestion for such a car under both the Pontiac and Cadillac brands. Of course, even if they were to get the nod for production, we are probably talking next decade.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2007, 07:38 PM   #5
DTC
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
The only potential competitor I can come up with is a Kappa based 4-seat coupe or convertible, or even sedan. There is nothing but rumors at this point, but there has been suggestion for such a car under both the Pontiac and Cadillac brands. Of course, even if they were to get the nod for production, we are probably talking next decade.
That's great that there isn't even a european competitor we can think of. I really think that if this is priced reasonably and drives well (which I think it will because the hatchback version has gotten good reviews) this car should be a success here in the States. And if it is a success and other makers decide to pile into this segment like you said it will take a long time so BMW will own it for a long time coming
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2007, 09:04 PM   #6
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

The VW Eos may be in a similar price segment, but it's really reaching to call that competition. And the Eos is fwd...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2007, 07:46 AM   #7
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Competition?
I don't think the new coupe/cab will have much competition when it's
introduced. But this will be a very hot niche in the next few years.
Audi, Mercedes, are gearing up new models, Volvo's C30 looks sweet but suffers from FWD,
Alfa-Romeo has a gorgeous small sports coupe in the works...and is confirmed to be lining up dealer network for N/A.
And the Japanese car makers are sure to get in line with some interesting models.

It all depends on how the individual buyer feels about the 2-coupe in particular.

This car is coming to market with advanced engineering- regenerative brakes, variable speed water pump, direct fuel-injection,
an increase in fuel efficiency over the first model 1-er and decrease in emissions in a sports package that looks very stout judging by the video from the Nurnburgring.

I think it'll boil down to an emotional decision...person by person...with a lot of it depending on the appeal of the car in person...which we really haven't seen yet sans camo.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2007, 08:51 AM   #8
darrensZ
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Great points brookside. The only concepts I can remember in the past couple of years that's been a small coupe with RWD is the Mazda Kabura and maybe the Ford concept concept that debuted with it (can't remember the name).

If BMW has success with this car here watch out for everyone to pile into the segment like you said. Look at Mercedes' CLS - now everyone wants to make a 4-door coupe type car.

This 2er coupe might be the perfect replacement for my Z once it comes off lease in a year or two.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2007, 10:11 AM   #9
Harold
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut View Post
I'm gonna be in the market to replace my 2003 Z4 in 2008 (or 2009 at the latest), and the only 2 vehicles I'm considering (at this point) are the BMW 1er Cabriolet and the Audi A3 Cabriolet.
It'll be a tough choice between the 2 of them.
Didn't even know there's going to be an A3 cabriolet. You can't go from a Z4 to an Audi convertible! You'll miss the bimmer driving experience :wink:
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2007, 11:19 AM   #10
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensZ View Post
This 2er coupe might be the perfect replacement for my Z once it comes off lease in a year or two.
Wow, that's quite a car you have there!
What really has intrigued me about the 2-coupe is how many car owners with great rides are looking at the 2-er as a distillation of what they want
in an automobile...I think that's what's really driving the 2addicts site and why so many people seem to have an investment in this little bimmer as a desire machine.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2007, 11:49 AM   #11
robag
Rep
Drives: BMW

To me the competitors to this car aren't that many, probably the GTI/R32 and the A3 are the closest ones in the USA market. Luckily this car would destroy those in performance, not even a competition. Looks like benz would probably come out with a 2+2 version of the SLK to compete because BMW and MB always have to butt heads
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2007, 11:52 AM   #12
DTC
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionbmw View Post
To me the competitors to this car aren't that many, probably the GTI/R32 and the A3 are the closest ones in the USA market. Luckily this car would destroy those in performance, not even a competition. Looks like benz would probably come out with a 2+2 version of the SLK to compete because BMW and MB always have to butt heads
Not afraid of Benz if they come into this segment They can't even get their larger cars to handle properly how they going to get a smaller sports coupe to handle right :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2007, 11:53 AM   #13
robag
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTC View Post
Not afraid of Benz if they come into this segment They can't even get their larger cars to handle properly how they going to get a smaller sports coupe to handle right :biggrin:
Way too true, have you ever drive the SLK? I didnt think it was possible to create a numb feeling roadster.. way to go benz
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2007, 11:56 AM   #14
DTC
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionbmw View Post
Way too true, have you ever drive the SLK? I didnt think it was possible to create a numb feeling roadster.. way to go benz
Nope never but I can imagine after driven some other offerings. I guess Mercedes has a certain demographic that will always buy their cars, but I doubt that same demographic would be very interested in a light/small nimble handling coupe like this thing is gonna be. BMW crowd on the other hand are gonna eat this up
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2007, 02:26 PM   #15
Brookside
Major
Rep

Comparison shots

Spud's already posted the new cgi on another thread, so I thought I'd throw these up for comparison.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2007, 11:56 PM   #16
Declan
Private
Rep
Drives:

Anyone ever driven any of the competitors like the A3? Are they nimble sporty cars? Actually I've read lots of good reviews of the GTI so I know that car is good but I'm not much of a hatchback fan.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2007, 01:41 AM   #17
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
Anyone ever driven any of the competitors like the A3? Are they nimble sporty cars? Actually I've read lots of good reviews of the GTI so I know that car is good but I'm not much of a hatchback fan.
I have driven the A3 and I loved it.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2007, 12:10 PM   #18
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

Thanks for putting up the comparrison, Brookside. My obsevations are the following:

- greenhouse on the spyshot is slightly vertically larger (higher B pillar)
- trunklid on the spyshot is flatter and more defined
- Fuel door on the spyshot is square and lower
- The sills of the front and rear windows appears to be flatter, whereas the PS has the sills on a more forward-leaning angle.

Overall the appearance of black car in the spyshot is a slighly more angular and upright.

Personally I am encouraged by the spyshot, as the PS looks a little soft, like a used bar of soap.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2007, 01:42 PM   #19
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest View Post
Personally I am encouraged by the spyshot, as the PS looks a little soft, like a used bar of soap.

You're right Spud...I couldn't have said it better.
A lot of these spy shots....that the cgi's are using as templates are taken with telephoto lens' or zooms so you get a slightly weird distortion that gets carried over when they're photoshopped.
Notice how the hood seems not quite as long as it should be?...in a small car, accurate representations are crucial to conveying the the reality....and we aren't seeing it yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2007, 07:51 PM   #20
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
Notice how the hood seems not quite as long as it should be?...in a small car, accurate representations are crucial to conveying the the reality....and we aren't seeing it yet.
Yes. And the kidney grill on the spy shot appears also appears to be slightly larger and more upright, whereas the ps is smaller and vertically concave.

The details will keep the BMW from being mistaken for a Mazda 3. And the ps, as good as impression as it may be, falls short in that respect compared to the spy shot.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2007, 12:10 AM   #21
Declan
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest View Post
Yes. And the kidney grill on the spy shot appears also appears to be slightly larger and more upright, whereas the ps is smaller and vertically concave.

The details will keep the BMW from being mistaken for a Mazda 3. And the ps, as good as impression as it may be, falls short in that respect compared to the spy shot.
Does mazda3 come in a coupe version? Only a 3 and 5 door hatchback right?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2007, 03:35 PM   #22
Harold
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe

This might be a competitor ?

Mercedes' upcoming replacement C sportscoupe. Will come in four-cylinder C180 (156 bhp, compressor) or C200 (184 bhp, compressor) and the six-cylinder C230 (204 bhp) or C350 (272 bhp).

http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphoto...s-c-sportcoupe

Appreciate 0