BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-22-2012, 01:33 AM   #45
DrGadget
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M140i F20 LCI-2

Garage List
2018 BMW M140i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sistom View Post
What do you mean check to see if bulbs are out? I mean the projector light is out but I thought if the moisture fried the adaptive headlight electronics the light would be out anyway right?
It could be that the ballasts are stopping the adaptive mechanism from working. A common fault I hear. New projector headlights often get some fogging when new, but you would see water ingress. Yes, to your sunlight drying.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 11:04 PM   #46
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

I'd say it's obvious that either 1) Your cover is not in fact all the way on, or 2) It is on now but it wans't for a while and during that time you got water inside.

I'm banking on #1 since you just did something that sprayed water all over that area, and now have a problem related to water and that area.

Take the cover off, prop the hood open, aim a small fan at the thing and wait for a day, or two, or however long you can handle it to make sure it's dry inside. Then very carefully put the cover back, and make sure it's all the way down. You have to wiggle it a little to make sure it feels like it's set in place, just seeming good enough, or because the clamps latch over, isn't enough. You have to be certain.

After drying it out and being sure it's all back together, it'll be dry and stay dry.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 06:13 AM   #47
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

I understand the pain involved with having this problem, it's real and definitely a pain in the ass to have such techy headlights. Personally I don't like the adaptive headlights at all, I found when driving in the mountains at night the headlights could not keep up with my cornering.

What I don't understand is why so many people have trouble replacing the covers and snapping them down properly. You can feel when they are on correctly, when they aren't sitting down, they wiggle a little. It's very slight but if you try it both ways, you'll notice it.

I wonder how many people snap the covers back on with a wire sitting across the gasket keeping it open somewhere.
      12-30-2012, 08:40 PM   #48
FIRST1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Melbourne Red

So an update on my issue, I left for vacation and my car sat for a week. Surprisingly, still some condensation in the headlight after 8 days of the car in the garage, but... the light works again...

I have a picture of the headlight with condensation in it. Even though its working again, should I go back to stock and take it to the dealer? Warranty expired 12/12/12.

Next time I get a wash, I'm sure this will happen again...
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 05:15 AM   #49
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

If the cover is on the moisture can't escape. Has anyone tried a bag or two of dessicant inside the housing overnight? Attached to a string for easy retrieval.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #50
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
I pulled my cover off to let it dry out...ordered a new one because I feel it's not sealing properly.

I would go to the dealer, if they don't replace or repair at least there is a paper trail of the problem.
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #51
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
..the ballast is very expensive to replace, you might have had water in it or in the connector. It could cause you problems down the road
///1M #643 of #740

Last edited by 1&done; 01-01-2013 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: duplicate post
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #52
M4D_Classy
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 / X5

I had the exact same thing. I installed bms angel eyes, and went to car wash an bammmm! Light went out, adaptive lighting was shot. Had to replace entire headlight. It was a warranty claim, but it was over a grand total. It was because the ballast presses on the back of the headlight housing, not giving a proper seal; even though your two clips are installed.

If your looking for new lights, a friend is selling the xenon headlights for 450 a pair. Pm me if you need info
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 01:38 AM   #53
FIRST1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Melbourne Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRST1 View Post
So an update on my issue, I left for vacation and my car sat for a week. Surprisingly, still some condensation in the headlight after 8 days of the car in the garage, but... the light works again...

I have a picture of the headlight with condensation in it. Even though its working again, should I go back to stock and take it to the dealer? Warranty expired 12/12/12.

Next time I get a wash, I'm sure this will happen again...
An update on my issue.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788582

Basically, I think the xenon bulb has dried out, because it is working again...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #54
heiman5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 BSM / Coral 135i

Ok... so maybe I am missing something here but...

Here is what is going on with mine.

AE's installed (by PO... so no idea if the balasts are in the way or not until I take them apart)

There is condensation in both lights but corners, hi's and low's all function properly.

BUT I have the adaptive headlight warning on...

My question is:

While not moving do both lights turn with the wheel or just one? (ie. if one is not moving I could attribute it to the ballast being in the way, I am going to check this after work)

Secondly, if all the lights work currently, have I not fried my lights and should dry the out inside asap and get new gaskets to ensure they are sealed properly?

I read this whole thread and still had some questions so please excuse my ignorance.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #55
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by heiman5 View Post
Ok... so maybe I am missing something here but...

Here is what is going on with mine.

AE's installed (by PO... so no idea if the balasts are in the way or not until I take them apart)

There is condensation in both lights but corners, hi's and low's all function properly.

BUT I have the adaptive headlight warning on...

My question is:

While not moving do both lights turn with the wheel or just one? (ie. if one is not moving I could attribute it to the ballast being in the way, I am going to check this after work)

Secondly, if all the lights work currently, have I not fried my lights and should dry the out inside asap and get new gaskets to ensure they are sealed properly?

I read this whole thread and still had some questions so please excuse my ignorance.

While sitting still (say when parked next to a wall with the lights on...) the passenger headlight will move more than the drivers side headlight - when in AUTO mode on the headlight switch. When the headlight switch is manually switched on... the AHL (adaptive head lights) will not function.

When moving slowly at night(say at 25 mph or so) both head lights will swing or turn with the steering wheel input(s). Both lights move the same amount. It is only when standing still... that the driver's head light will move say 15 degree's while the passenger headlight will move 45 degree's.

IF you are getting an AHL failure icon... your AHL's are not functioning correctly. Most common issue is that your AE hid ballast are preventing the AHL innards from moving/swivelling. This can burn out the little servo motor for the AHL's.

IF you have condensation inside the head lights... this can cause the xenon ballast or AHL footwell module(s) to blow out. Inside the headlight is also some circuitry for the AUTO headlights and AHL's. Water inside the head lights is not a good thing. Many 1Addicts have found this out the hard way. New lights are $$$$. (~$800 each)
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #56
heiman5
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks Dackel - soooo moral of the story is get the ballast out of the way of the motors and get them dry / sealed properly or buy new housings that wont leak before I blow out all my ballasts..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
While sitting still (say when parked next to a wall with the lights on...) the passenger headlight will move more than the drivers side headlight - when in AUTO mode on the headlight switch. When the headlight switch is manually switched on... the AHL (adaptive head lights) will not function.

When moving slowly at night(say at 25 mph or so) both head lights will swing or turn with the steering wheel input(s). Both lights move the same amount. It is only when standing still... that the driver's head light will move say 15 degree's while the passenger headlight will move 45 degree's.

IF you are getting an AHL failure icon... your AHL's are not functioning correctly. Most common issue is that your AE hid ballast are preventing the AHL innards from moving/swivelling. This can burn out the little servo motor for the AHL's.

IF you have condensation inside the head lights... this can cause the xenon ballast or AHL footwell module(s) to blow out. Inside the headlight is also some circuitry for the AUTO headlights and AHL's. Water inside the head lights is not a good thing. Many 1Addicts have found this out the hard way. New lights are $$$$. (~$800 each)
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #57
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Thanks Dackel - soooo moral of the story is get the ballast out of the way of the motors and get them dry / sealed properly or buy new housings that wont leak before I blow out all my ballasts..?
^^Yup!

But its not just the headlight housings and ballasts, but also the footwell modules(FW3) and having those coded. Those footwell module(s) control all the interior and exterior light functions. From dimming tails/door handles/headlights ect. It can get very expensive to fix condensation damage.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #58
heiman5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
^^Yup!

But its not just the headlight housings and ballasts, but also the footwell modules(FW3) and having those coded. Those footwell module(s) control all the interior and exterior light functions. From dimming tails/door handles/headlights ect. It can get very expensive to fix condensation damage.
Thanks for the info! I am going to get these babies dried and sealed up ASAP so I dont short out my whole lighting system
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 11:10 PM   #59
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
get the ballast out of the way of the motors and get them dry / sealed properly
Probably just these 2 things, maybe the last but try these first.

For mine I left a box fan propped over the engine blowing at the light overnight, for several nights, just to be sure. Worked great.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #60
heiman5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Probably just these 2 things, maybe the last but try these first.

For mine I left a box fan propped over the engine blowing at the light overnight, for several nights, just to be sure. Worked great.
awesome thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #61
bogart
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N55 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.06]
This is what I did when it happened to me, because I still had warranty.

I purchased new headlight covers ($40/piece)

Removed aftermarket lights and installed stock ones

Installed new headlight covers

Went into dealer and told them I had a headlight warning

They replaced the headlight under warranty ($1200)

03-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #62
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogart View Post
This is what I did when it happened to me, because I still had warranty.

I purchased new headlight covers ($40/piece)

Removed aftermarket lights and installed stock ones

Installed new headlight covers

Went into dealer and told them I had a headlight warning

They replaced the headlight under warranty ($1200)

I replaced my passenger adaptive sensor for $140, and picked up new covers. Had the Adaptive mod coded $60 and problem fixed. My original covers only had 12-14k miles on them. GL
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #63
Ali135i
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i n54

Okay I have the same problem. Just go on on eBay order some used control modules and ballast. You will be good. Just make sure the headlight covers sit in tight and secure which is the hard part. U will be paying under 300 $
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 01:35 PM   #64
Ali135i
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i n54

Ohh yea let me know what you did.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 08:48 AM   #65
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
^ I would recommend ordering new covers too, they are cheap and come with new seals.
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0