BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

Strange Happenings

Driving home recently near dusk, I notice that the lights (in automatic mode) had just come on. At the same time, I notice that the green fog light indicator had come on at the same time.

Wait a minute... This is a 135i, it doesn't have fog lights!

I flipped the headlamp switch from auto to off then on, then back to auto. The fog light indicator shut off, and hasn't come on since.

Anything strange and unexplained happen in your car?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

It's a German car. Of course it will have electrical gremlins! Just wait till your window goes down without you prompting it to
      11-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

The green LED light(on the headlight switch) tellls you when the headlights are ON when in AUTO mode. 135i's do not have fog lights! We have cornering lights built intop the headlights than come on when in AUTO mode.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
I've had some much bigger "strange happenings" lately. Radio cutting off and on randomly, and just recently my electrics were ape shit when I unlocked my car and had a constant static sound coming from the speakers for several minutes.

After discussing it with my service advisor, he told me it was a result of cold weather. On that day here, temps dipped into the low 20s. He said the computers had a hard time dealing with the cold, so strange things were bound to happen. While its not "normal", its not uncommon, hard to replicate enough to require repair, and to just ignore it.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
ParkNuts
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Sometimes when I switch over to satellite radio I'll go to the station I want but it won't change from the one I'm on. I have to go back and forth like 3 times then I can get it. Nothing too mysterious but I guess it qualifies as an electrical gremlin.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
The green LED light(on the headlight switch) tellls you when the headlights are ON when in AUTO mode. 135i's do not have fog lights! We have cornering lights built intop the headlights than come on when in AUTO mode.
Yes, when the green LED on the lamp switch came on, the green fog light indicator IN THE CLUSTER DISPLAY came on as well!

I recognized the indicator from our X3, which did have fogs. Though in that car, every once in a while, the entire display (radio, console, etc) would go black for 5 seconds then come back on again, as if it were rebooting. Very disconcerting, especially when driving at highway speeds...
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #7
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah, not talking about the led on the switch, but the light in the console.

It's on page 97 of the 135i (2012) owner's manual.

I don't have fogs nor the button shown.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B. View Post
Yes, when the green LED on the lamp switch came on, the green fog light indicator IN THE CLUSTER DISPLAY came on as well!

I recognized the indicator from our X3, which did have fogs. Though in that car, every once in a while, the entire display (radio, console, etc) would go black for 5 seconds then come back on again, as if it were rebooting. Very disconcerting, especially when driving at highway speeds...
Have you changed your headlight switch or had it replaced under warranty?

You should not have a green fog light icon come on inside the instrument cluster. Perhaps you have the wrong headlight switch installed on your car. BMW makes several headlight switches.

PS: On the OE headlight switch... even though it doesn't have front or rear(brake) fog lights... you can mod the OE switch to work. Everything is there. You can run a search for "LEGO mod" headlight switch and see what I mean. Perhaps someone has broken your headlight switch. All you need to do it push it in really hard to break the inner tabs off - and then the fog ligh function will work.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
Xyloft
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
I've had some much bigger "strange happenings" lately. Radio cutting off and on randomly, and just recently my electrics were ape shit when I unlocked my car and had a constant static sound coming from the speakers for several minutes.

After discussing it with my service advisor, he told me it was a result of cold weather. On that day here, temps dipped into the low 20s. He said the computers had a hard time dealing with the cold, so strange things were bound to happen. While its not "normal", its not uncommon, hard to replicate enough to require repair, and to just ignore it.
that's odd. My radio used to do crazy stuff too, but when my window motor went out, they had to update the firmware on the radio () and when it failed to update every time, they replaced the radio too. no more weird noises, and my windows work!

when it gets hot out, my passenger seat gives me a seatbelt warning usually goes on about 2 minutes before shutting off. kind of annoying actually.
      11-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #10
golf_234
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46, E90, F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post

SAME thing happened to me!! thought i was in for some trouble, solved itself after restarting.
      11-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #11
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

My drivers window would drop the 1 inch that they do when you open the door, except it would do it occasionally while driving down the road. It'd drop, go up, drop, go up, 2-4 times usually.

Dealer said it was the door sensor.

The other day, my radio stopped working, no noise, then when I got back into the car a bit later it worked fine.

Went to the car wash, when they returned the car, the airbag icon was on. I got my shop to clear the code and it hasn't come back on since.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #12
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
SAME thing happened to me!! thought i was in for some trouble, solved itself after restarting.

My dealership said that if it happens, to shut down the car, lock it, wait a few minutes and try again. He did say that there is a service bulletin put out about it. So, there is a repair out there for it, however your car would have to do it quite often for BMW to do anything about it.

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #13
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

German cars with electronic gremlins?!?! No.....

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #14
alvitdk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
yeah, BMW is funny with it's electronic gremlins. About 2 month ago I wen to my car and opened the trunk, rear speakers started to make a loud hissing noise. Had no way to turn that off but had to leave, driving that way for about 20 minutes, than suddenly it stopped and never again since then.
Also Drive: 22' Nissan Frontier Pro 4X
Waiting for 23' BMW Z4 M40i:
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #15
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Have you changed your headlight switch or had it replaced under warranty?

You should not have a green fog light icon come on inside the instrument cluster. Perhaps you have the wrong headlight switch installed on your car. BMW makes several headlight switches.
Don't think so. I purchased the car new over a year ago (have 5000 miles now) and it only happened that one time.

I will double check to make sure the switch assembly is secure, but I'm gonna chalk this one up to gremlins.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #16
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

For the past few weeks I've noticed that I had dead pixels on the radio screen and my auto lights were overly and underly sensitive at the same time.

Last couple days I've noticed that the auto headlights seem to be working ok again and my dead pixels now seem to have resurrected themselves.

Strange...
      11-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #17
08LMB135i
Rally Armored 135i, don't copy me!
Rep
Drives: 2008 Lemans Blue 135i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon

He must be bullshitting you, parked my 135i outside all last winter where temps regularly range from +5 to -35 Celcius and never had any issues other than the slightly longer cranks when it was very cold.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #18
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post

...Last couple days I've noticed that the auto headlights seem to be working ok again and my dead pixels now seem to have resurrected themselves.

Strange...
You can put the radio into a "test mode" by switching it off, then on, and THEN press and HOLD DOWN the "M"(Memory) button, until you see the hidden radio menu. Then use the arrow keys to scroll thru the various menus. One of the menu screens will light up ALL the pixels.

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #19
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08LMB135i View Post
He must be bullshitting you, parked my 135i outside all last winter where temps regularly range from +5 to -35 Celcius and never had any issues other than the slightly longer cranks when it was very cold.

Just because you didn't experience doesn't mean it doesn't happen. You are one out of thousands of these cars. There are a few service bulletins sent out regarding electrical systems in the past few months, so its possible you were just one of the lucky ones.

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #20
bxsinster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 n54 135i SedonaRed

my 135i windows sometimes stop working, i cant open them and they only stop working when they are fully closed... then they will just start working all of a sudeen they changed my panel switch omce before still same problem. it happens maybe like omce every other day for a little bit here and there kinda annoying
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #21
08LMB135i
Rally Armored 135i, don't copy me!
Rep
Drives: 2008 Lemans Blue 135i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08LMB135i View Post

Just because you didn't experience doesn't mean it doesn't happen. You are one out of thousands of these cars. There are a few service bulletins sent out regarding electrical systems in the past few months, so its possible you were just one of the lucky ones.
Im not saying it doesn't happen to your car I'm saying why would you accept him telling you to ignore it or him telling you it's normal, have them check it out even if its hard to duplicate the condition.
Appreciate 0