BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-17-2014, 04:42 PM   #1
choppedliver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550ix Pure

Slow leak?

On the way back from the dealer for the window issue I got a tyre pressure warning.

I stopped and did a walk around and I couldn't see any problems and thought it was tied into me doing the battery reset to try and fix the window?

The car drove fine

Anyway got home and checked all the tyres and the left rear was down to 16ps

I put it and the other tyres to 39. I checked hours later and both rears were 37. Left over night and the left rear was 36 and the right 37. Mind you the gauge is a digital one and when I pumped up the right it was 40 and I let a little bit of air out. So the digital gauge could be just flip/flopping better 37/36.

I checked the left rear thoroughly last night (roll forward and back) and I can't see any signs of a puncture.

Put them both to 38 and we will see how it goes!

It must be a slow leak and I gather they can be hard to diagnose. I'm wondering if it's worth going to the tyre shop or wait and see if it gets worse?

I've always had proper leaks from screws etc none of this namby pamby slow leak rubbish.

Thanks

Byron
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 05:18 PM   #2
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppedliver View Post
On the way back from the dealer for the window issue I got a tyre pressure warning.

I stopped and did a walk around and I couldn't see any problems and thought it was tied into me doing the battery reset to try and fix the window?

The car drove fine

Anyway got home and checked all the tyres and the left rear was down to 16ps

I put it and the other tyres to 39. I checked hours later and both rears were 37. Left over night and the left rear was 36 and the right 37. Mind you the gauge is a digital one and when I pumped up the right it was 40 and I let a little bit of air out. So the digital gauge could be just flip/flopping better 37/36.

I checked the left rear thoroughly last night (roll forward and back) and I can't see any signs of a puncture.

Put them both to 38 and we will see how it goes!

It must be a slow leak and I gather they can be hard to diagnose. I'm wondering if it's worth going to the tyre shop or wait and see if it gets worse?

I've always had proper leaks from screws etc none of this namby pamby slow leak rubbish.

Thanks

Byron
Could be a cracked rim common issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 05:26 PM   #3
choppedliver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550ix Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter@Advan View Post
Could be a cracked rim common issue.
Thanks Pete.

I had read this, does it stay as a slow leak or get bad real quick! And can it be fixed or do you need a replacement?

Thanks

B
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 05:30 PM   #4
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppedliver View Post
Thanks Pete.

I had read this, does it stay as a slow leak or get bad real quick! And can it be fixed or do you need a replacement?

Thanks

B
We can fix it providing it is not a large crack, our fabricator does magic things
Appreciate 0