BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-26-2016, 08:30 PM   #1
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Waxing for Lazy People

I keep my cars clean and garaged, which I think is about 95% of the battle, however I haven't been waxing them and I think I probably should, very occasionally.

I am not going to buy an orbital polisher, and I'm not going to spend hours on end detailing my cars. Life is too short!

But I would like to apply a coat of wax once or twice a year, as long as it is a fairly quick process with good protection and good looks.

What would be the right wax product to use?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 08:35 PM   #2
ignote
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon
I keep my cars clean and garaged, which I think is about 95% of the battle, however I haven't been waxing them and I think I probably should, very occasionally.

I am not going to buy an orbital polisher, and I'm not going to spend hours on end detailing my cars. Life is too short!

But I would like to apply a coat of wax once or twice a year, as long as it is a fairly quick process with good protection and good looks.

What would be the right wax product to use?
If you really want to be lazy, get the car detailed and then just use quick detailer after every other wash. I've been doing that for the last two years.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 08:44 PM   #3
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignote View Post
If you really want to be lazy, get the car detailed and then just use quick detailer after every other wash. I've been doing that for the last two years.
There are definitely "degrees" of laziness. My business partner, who is way younger than I am, wouldn't spend 5 minutes of his time washing bird shit off his vehicle, which he views as being only of utilitarian interest . . . . . he has a monthly pass for unlimited washes at an automated car wash.

Since I own my cars for enjoyment, I do like the hands on approach myself, if I can limit the time it takes me. I just bought a commercial electric pressure washer, and it's lots of fun to use, plus the way it is built it will outlast me. So I do take some pleasure in doting on my cars, with my own hands, as long as the time spent is reasonable. Plus, I'm rather cheap:-)
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 09:01 PM   #4
BlackLizard
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128i M Sport

Garage List
2012 BMW 128i  [10.00]
I had the Opti-Coat Gloss put on my 1er and cannot say enough good things about it. It'll last for two years or so, and with their no rinse wash, it looks like I spent most of the day waxing and polishing after a quick 20 minute wash and dry.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 09:28 PM   #5
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

I would say the answer depends on current condition of the paint/clear.

My recommendation, get a pro detail and take their advice on how to maintain.
You want to work from a good base. If you're sealing crud under the waxing it can do more harm.
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2016, 09:57 PM   #6
kioneo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 2008 135i

Meguiars Ultimate Quikwax gets good reviews. I've just started using it and have been impressed. Easy and inexpensive. I use it during washes between my full detail/wax applications.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 11:51 PM   #7
coopaw
Rep
Drives: 2011 328x1 & 2013 135i vert

I do get out the orbital once or twice a year but I use Wax as U Dry after every wash and it works great.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 01:10 AM   #8
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
I would say the answer depends on current condition of the paint/clear.

My recommendation, get a pro detail and take their advice on how to maintain.
You want to work from a good base. If you're sealing crud under the waxing it can do more harm.
Please excuse my mini-rant, which is not directed at you personally, just your post gave me a convenient place to give my opinion on the detailing industry.

Of course, as regards a "pro detail," this would be dependent on who you hired to do the "pro detail," and what their opinions were on various products. My cars are not all that old and are in pretty good shape as regards the paint, at least to the naked eye.

I am sure that there are some people out there who are what I might call "connoisseurs" of car paint or car external appearances. One has to realize that there is a whole industry out there that tries to get car enthusiasts to think that way, people I am assuming, who dress themselves in white coats and come to give you their well-founded clinical impressions . . . . of your paint job.

Car paint is not all that complicated of a material, as things go. The usual types of car waxes have various cleaning agents in them, as anyone who has used them can attest, as they double as deep cleaners, in addition to them imparting a shine and water resistance that lasts through at least a few car washes.

My personal observation of what happens when people spend inordinate amounts of time on the physical appearance of their vehicles, is that at the time of resale that produces little if any benefit to the seller. Obviously, a nice clean and shiny vehicle will help to close a sale, but the 52 hand waxes that the car got in the last year won't reverse the effects of the accident from 3 years ago that show up on the Carfax report.

So, anyway, I would like my cars to shine when I wash them and for the water to bead up on them for a while after I wax them. Beyond that, all the clay bars on the planet are not going to get me to believe that they have any real value to someone who takes reasonable care of their vehicle and who garages it regularly.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 03:43 AM   #9
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

I was gonna keep lurking, but oh well...

It might be good time to let a professional do your cars if you have not got them done in the past. That way you will have a good base to work on in the future, you know what I mean. There's ton of info on the interwebz about proper washing techniques, which is, like, the important thing because you don't want to fuck up the paint after spending xx hours polishing it, right?

Head over to the detailing section, there's a detailer posting regularly. He might know have some contacts in Idaho.

1. Have an experienced detailer with good reputation (cannot stress this enough) do yo whips.
2. Let him/her tell you something about washing and other stuff. It's not rocket science.
3. Buy a pot of sealant, and carnauba wax.
4. Apply one or two coats of sealant every six months, carnauba wax every second or third month. Doesn't take much time. Curing time varies, but the products I use take about 10 mins.
5. Try not to drool over the paint while drying.
6. Drive the shit out of the car(s). Kill many bugs.

P. S.: Don't forget the interior.
      06-27-2016, 08:58 AM   #10
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

My car is garaged at night and sits outside during the day. I am absolutely psycho about washing it, but waxing is definitely where I get lazy. Nowadays I just take it to a detailer (one I trust and whose work I've seen) about once a year. Because I take the time to keep it clean and always get road trip bugs and bird shit off ASAP, I don't really have to pay to have it done more than that.
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2016, 09:15 AM   #11
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep
Drives: '98 Z3M (gone), '09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
I take the time to do a full detail or two a year on my car usually spring/summer and before winter, other than that i just use a spray wax. I usually wash with a DIY touchless to get the bulk of the stuff off in between hand washing. Keep a shammy and a spray rinseless detergent for bugs, bird poop, etc. I only get really hard core with a claybar or clay towel when i notice a lot of stuff got embedded like overspray/tar from the highway and orbital polisher is more for when you have a really scratched up clear coat.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 10:03 AM   #12
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Can't beat a synthetic coating that will last two years.

I usually wax every 4-5 months.

And quick wax detail spray after I wash while it's still wet and the water blade the panels and dry. Works really quick.
      06-27-2016, 12:15 PM   #13
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
You can't get any lazier than taking it to an automated car wash and having the minimum wagers wax your car.
      06-27-2016, 12:57 PM   #14
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
You can't get any lazier than taking it to an automated car wash and having the minimum wagers wax your car.
I am lazy, I am just not THAT lazy :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 01:10 PM   #15
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Our cars are small. I can wash, dry and wax my car in less than 2 hours. And that includes wiping out the wheels and dressing tires.

At a minimum wax it 3 times a year. April, July and October. In October I would use a good sealant instead of wax to get you through the winter.

I used to use Mothers carnauba wax. Holds up a long time. I now use Blackfire Midnight sun wax. ---- that's my 2 cents.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 02:17 PM   #16
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

I have a professional detailer come to my house and detail my car 4 times a year.

Just started with a new detailer ---->> http://www.xtremedetailing909.com

Between that I hand wash myself and use Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer after every wash. I also use a car duster (Griots Ultimate Microfiber Car Duster) to lightly remove dust on my car every night. My car sleeps in a garage nightly.
      06-27-2016, 03:56 PM   #17
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
I have a professional detailer come to my house and detail my car 4 times a year.

Between that I hand wash myself and use Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer after every wash. I also use a car duster (Griots Ultimate Microfiber Car Duster) to lightly remove dust on my car every night. My car sleeps in a garage nightly.
I used to be envious of my dog, for the great life he has (eat, play, go for walks, shit, pee, no responsibilities). Now I am envious of your car
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 04:00 PM   #18
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

TBH, I really like Megs Ultimate Wax (either the liquid or paste), I use the paste. It's actually a sealant. Easy on, easy off, cheap, and lasts 3 months.
      06-27-2016, 04:02 PM   #19
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
I am lazy, I am just not THAT lazy :-)
LOL, good to know... For a moment there, I thought you might be my brother.
      06-27-2016, 04:06 PM   #20
shawnj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Does anyone use this?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 04:12 PM   #21
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post

I used to be envious of my dog, for the great life he has (eat, play, go for walks, shit, pee, no responsibilities). Now I am envious of your car
Yes, it's true... I baby my car. It's easy when you only have one.

If I had four, I guarantee you I would not be as dedicated.

PS - I drive the hell out of it every day!
      06-27-2016, 04:33 PM   #22
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnj
Does anyone use this?
I have in the past. Good results if I remember correctly.