BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #1
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Post Test drove an X1 xdrive23d

I was able to test drive the X1 xdrive23d yesterday courtesy of Westside BMW.

I have to say I was really impressed! Mid-size SUV's have never been my thing given my childless bachelor ways (for now at least...) but I was quite interested in the X1 for reasons I can't quite explain.

It has an absolute bottomless well of torque (allow a guy some poetic licence) and pulls like a tractor. I think I said to the gf about three time, "wow, check out this power. And it's a diesel!" She smiled dutifully and made apreciative noises. She's such a good girl.

It didn't wallow around in corners nearly as much as I thought it would and I found the suspension to be great compared to my expectations. The xdrive reminded me of my WRX when I was foot to the floor through a tight-ish corner, it just dug in and kept pushing. Side mirrors are HUGE, great visibility.

The love the panoramic glass roof.

For a family car in a couple of years I would buy one in a flash. I think it'd be a great weekend getaway car too with all that space.

What don't I like? Small stuff really. Dash plastic is, well, there's just a lot of real-estate there covered by this stuff compared to my 135i. Same material, just more of it and I don't like it. Sorry, can't do better than that so my days as a motoring journalist are probably over before they start.

I'd also opt for the M-sport steering wheel as I found the stock too thin for my butchers hands and the full electronic sports seats, they're a must-have also. Being a 1'er it's a shame there's no HUD option!

Anyway, anyone in the market for a car like this should check it out I reckon and take it for a drive. I quite enjoyed myself, I just have to see if I can avoid our next car being a C70 Volvo for the gf and get and X1 instead. Wish me luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
I was able to test drive the X1 xdrive23d yesterday courtesy of Westside BMW.

I have to say I was really impressed! Mid-size SUV's have never been my thing given my childless bachelor ways (for now at least...) but I was quite interested in the X1 for reasons I can't quite explain.

It has an absolute bottomless well of torque (allow a guy some poetic licence) and pulls like a tractor. I think I said to the gf about three time, "wow, check out this power. And it's a diesel!" She smiled dutifully and made apreciative noises. She's such a good girl.

It didn't wallow around in corners nearly as much as I thought it would and I found the suspension to be great compared to my expectations. The xdrive reminded me of my WRX when I was foot to the floor through a tight-ish corner, it just dug in and kept pushing. Side mirrors are HUGE, great visibility.

The love the panoramic glass roof.

For a family car in a couple of years I would buy one in a flash. I think it'd be a great weekend getaway car too with all that space.

What don't I like? Small stuff really. Dash plastic is, well, there's just a lot of real-estate there covered by this stuff compared to my 135i. Same material, just more of it and I don't like it. Sorry, can't do better than that so my days as a motoring journalist are probably over before they start.

I'd also opt for the M-sport steering wheel as I found the stock too thin for my butchers hands and the full electronic sports seats, they're a must-have also. Being a 1'er it's a shame there's no HUD option!

Anyway, anyone in the market for a car like this should check it out I reckon and take it for a drive. I quite enjoyed myself, I just have to see if I can avoid our next car being a C70 Volvo for the gf and get and X1 instead. Wish me luck!
Sounds awesome! Did the demo car have the DPC option? That would explain how it cornered so well.

Damnit, I wish my girl appreciated POWWEERRRRRRRR like yours. Most of the time she just grabs onto my arm and then threatens to engage neutral.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2010, 06:14 AM   #3
aus135i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

ROFL Jeff, tell her if she does that it will blow the diff and the car will not be able to start again! EVER! LOL
      04-11-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

I test drove one as well. I thought it was nice, thought the power was okay, not as great as the 123d guys make out but I think the extra weight from the X1 and the awd system weighs it down. Also, I found the X1 itself too be too small, maybe not as practical as I would have liked. The backseat is a bit tight and the boot space isn't much better than my 135i. I was going to use this car for work but it doesn't seem like the sensible choice for me. Also, as much as I like BMW I found the X1 awkward from some angles but I know it would grow on me over time. I spec'd one out to nearly 85k so for that money I really need to decide what else is out there. The new X3 looks promising or the current X5 is a good choice too. When I got back into my 135i I realised how much fun factor I was losing in terms of raw power. The X1 handled beautifully in the twisties though.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 11:20 PM   #5
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
I test drove one as well. I thought it was nice, thought the power was okay, not as great as the 123d guys make out but I think the extra weight from the X1 and the awd system weighs it down. Also, I found the X1 itself too be too small, maybe not as practical as I would have liked. The backseat is a bit tight and the boot space isn't much better than my 135i. I was going to use this car for work but it doesn't seem like the sensible choice for me. Also, as much as I like BMW I found the X1 awkward from some angles but I know it would grow on me over time. I spec'd one out to nearly 85k so for that money I really need to decide what else is out there. The new X3 looks promising or the current X5 is a good choice too. When I got back into my 135i I realised how much fun factor I was losing in terms of raw power. The X1 handled beautifully in the twisties though.
I was talking to a mate today about it and we were wondering where the X3 will really slot into the line-up now.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 11:39 PM   #6
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

I think the X3 will grow in size as most BMW's do. The X1 seems too impractical for me, I can't do much with it. It leaves me in the same predicament as the 135i but with an extra 2 doors.

The X3 was already a good size and if it grows a couple inches it'll suit me fine. I think the 2nd generation of the X3 will sort out all the flaws it once had. Hopefully they offer it with a decent engine too. Ideally I'd like an X5 but it's big money and I'd kick myself for not going all out on an X6. The X3 will be a good compromise if you can't reach for an X5 imo. Of course, I don't think these SUV's will be idael for off-road use... Just something for around town with a lot of boot space.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 03:37 AM   #7
Yep 135
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 manual

+1
x3 should be a good size.
x1 is a bit small so will wait for the new x3.
we used to have an x5 but now they are a bit big for our use. (all kids now drive).
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 08:32 AM   #8
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
I think the X3 will grow in size as most BMW's do. The X1 seems too impractical for me, I can't do much with it. It leaves me in the same predicament as the 135i but with an extra 2 doors.

The X3 was already a good size and if it grows a couple inches it'll suit me fine. I think the 2nd generation of the X3 will sort out all the flaws it once had. Hopefully they offer it with a decent engine too. Ideally I'd like an X5 but it's big money and I'd kick myself for not going all out on an X6. The X3 will be a good compromise if you can't reach for an X5 imo. Of course, I don't think these SUV's will be idael for off-road use... Just something for around town with a lot of boot space.
Really? X6? I wouldn't mind to drive one once in a while, but I do feel it is the X car that has an identity crisis.

Will be having a look at the X1 on Friday when the 125i (finally) goes in for the first service.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 04:18 PM   #9
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Really? X6? I wouldn't mind to drive one once in a while, but I do feel it is the X car that has an identity crisis.
I've always thought the X6 had a presence on the road. I had a good look at one at the dealership the other day. I know it isn't the most practical or sensible SUV... only 4 seats, low roof line at the back, probably not the best off-roader, but it looks soo good.

I'd imagine it'd be a great for cruising, very comfortable, spacious, sharp looking, great handling and very exclusive. If I got one I'd get black with black wheels. When I sat inside the design felt like a huge coupe.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 09:09 AM   #10
BMWDave
Totally Add1cted
Australia
Rep
Drives: X1 Xdrive23d

Garage List
2011 BMW X1 23d  [7.66]
I test drove one of these (X1 Xdrive23d) yesterday and I gotta say, I'm having serious thoughts about changing out of the 135i.

I don't actually think the X1 is too small. For me, I think the X5 is huge so the X1 seems decent. Means I can throw mate/parents in the back without making them climb in, open the hatch and throw the dog in and dawdle down a (relatively mild) beach track.

I was impressed at how easy it was to drive, visibility a lot better than the 135i due to the height, hung onto corners pretty decently for what it is and the engine definitely has the same 400Nm of torque my 135i has, although it comes on a little later and doesn't last as long. It still shifts along nicely and despite being the demo car, which has been flogged since day dot, it was only averaging 8.5l/100.

I spec'd up one to about $83K on road but that had a lot of options ticked for that money. Tempted, sorely, sorely tempted.
      07-01-2010, 09:40 AM   #11
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Mmmmm ///MMMmmmm Power
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - SOLD
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #12
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDave View Post
I test drove one of these (X1 Xdrive23d) yesterday and I gotta say, I'm having serious thoughts about changing out of the 135i.

I don't actually think the X1 is too small. For me, I think the X5 is huge so the X1 seems decent. Means I can throw mate/parents in the back without making them climb in, open the hatch and throw the dog in and dawdle down a (relatively mild) beach track.

I was impressed at how easy it was to drive, visibility a lot better than the 135i due to the height, hung onto corners pretty decently for what it is and the engine definitely has the same 400Nm of torque my 135i has, although it comes on a little later and doesn't last as long. It still shifts along nicely and despite being the demo car, which has been flogged since day dot, it was only averaging 8.5l/100.

I spec'd up one to about $83K on road but that had a lot of options ticked for that money. Tempted, sorely, sorely tempted.
Hrm, I was thinking Z4...
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 05:06 AM   #13
qship
Disillusioned bourgeois capitalist pig!
Australia
Rep
Drives: Blue

While the ol tail lights were being attended to. I test drove the X1 Diesel tt with a view of it replacing my aging Liberty Turbo.
Liked the size and while I did not throw it around, the handing seemed good and ride wad okay. if slightly jiggley. The power in its narrow power band was fair, but it was goddam noisy (particularly at idle) and the gearbox and engine were, um , uncooperative. It tried too often to hold to tall a gear and was as subtle as a train wreck when prodded for grunt. Ah, but its adaptive the sales man said. So what if you have already missed the gap you were aming for. Maybe next time....

A manual would be nicer I suspect, but not available in the bigger engines. At about $75K the value I guess is in the eye of the beholder. I suspect the old Lib will have to soldier on for a little while yet.
      07-29-2010, 07:25 AM   #14
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Looks like someone dropped it on its face as a baby.

Saw about 10 of them today @ Trivett. Not impressed by the looks.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 07:03 PM   #15
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

Its funny i thought they looked terrible in pics, but in real life i think they are amazing. Bmws best looking suv.

Dont see why anyone would need anything bigger then that around town.
Z4 M Coupe - H&R - RE Diablo - RPi - Tekarbon - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 04:08 AM   #16
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Agreed. Front's not the greatest, but smart looking soft roader. Family member has 23d on the way.

And qship if you thought the twin turbo diesel was loud, try the single turbo 20d! Damn that sounded horrid. You get the 23d just for the slightly more muffled noise.
      07-30-2010, 07:30 AM   #17
qship
Disillusioned bourgeois capitalist pig!
Australia
Rep
Drives: Blue

Whitin 500 metrs of driving my 135i after the X1 knew that I would not be buying a diesel anything. The looks I am ambivelant about, but the relative crudeness of the drivetrain puts the X1 out of contention. So an affordable performance 4WD manual wagon seems to be missing from the market. The current Lib is fugly and a step back in interior quality and that leaves the errrr.......

Perhaps an A4 quattro, but again no manual with the grunty engines.
      07-31-2010, 07:03 AM   #18
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The__J__Factor View Post
Its funny i thought they looked terrible in pics, but in real life i think they are amazing. Bmws best looking suv.

Dont see why anyone would need anything bigger then that around town.
Babies and their attachments - so I was told. All my friends who has kids have X5s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qship View Post
Whitin 500 metrs of driving my 135i after the X1 knew that I would not be buying a diesel anything. The looks I am ambivelant about, but the relative crudeness of the drivetrain puts the X1 out of contention. So an affordable performance 4WD manual wagon seems to be missing from the market. The current Lib is fugly and a step back in interior quality and that leaves the errrr.......

Perhaps an A4 quattro, but again no manual with the grunty engines.
The auto is adaptive, and it actually doesn't take long for it to adapt to the style. I have owned three BMW autos and 1 diesel and one you learnt how to use it, it's a gem. It's a bit hard to explain... but... may be someone else can chip in...

The diesel is a bit noisier, but it's probably just because the sound doesn't sound like the petrol. We had a 120D (and 1st gen) and I actually quite like the engine - once you are off the mark, I reckon it would keep up with the 125i . I would have bought the 123D instead for Adela if it was out at that time.

Still back to the X1 - it is too small...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 08:03 PM   #19
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

OH you will learn all about why you need an X5 if and when you have your own family! My wife and I went from seven vehicles (none with more than two seats and all definitely manual transmission) to an X5, a 135 and an M Coupe after having two children in a period of three years.

I was of the same mind entirely, could not fathom why so many people had those soft road X5s and the like, ugly dirty big brutes. But come a growing family and you learn all about it! Same as grocery bills, frequency of washing and refridgerator space! ALl these things become clear with the arrival of littlies!

Regarding the X6, again I thought why would anyone bother. Having owned an X5 for a few months I now get it. I refused to own anything with an automatic tranny since I got my L plates but the X5 has taught me there is a place for these type of cars.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 12:30 AM   #20
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
OH you will learn all about why you need an X5 if and when you have your own family! My wife and I went from seven vehicles (none with more than two seats and all definitely manual transmission) to an X5, a 135 and an M Coupe after having two children in a period of three years.

I was of the same mind entirely, could not fathom why so many people had those soft road X5s and the like, ugly dirty big brutes. But come a growing family and you learn all about it! Same as grocery bills, frequency of washing and refridgerator space! ALl these things become clear with the arrival of littlies!

Regarding the X6, again I thought why would anyone bother. Having owned an X5 for a few months I now get it. I refused to own anything with an automatic tranny since I got my L plates but the X5 has taught me there is a place for these type of cars.
This man speaketh the truth! Pop out a few kids and the X5 will become your best friend.

Landcruiser may be "King off the road" but the X5 is "King of the road" .....IMHO.

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 12:51 AM   #21
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes this thing. There's a big rumor going around that this thing will show up in the states next year and I need a winter car to replace my aging (150k mile) ford explorer.

Can you guys go deeper into the interior?

Appreciate 0