BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-07-2014, 11:18 AM   #1
atterbud
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

Best option for non-lowering sport springs

I wonder if anyone could help me out as I am having trouble finding a solution for sport springs with only a small drop in ride height for a convertible.

I have a 2013 135is Convertible on which I have replaced the rear subframe bushings for M3 items, and have ordered the front and rear M3 control arms from Offset, a Dinan fixed camber plate, and a set of Bilstein B8 shocks/struts from AJUSA. I had ordered some Swift Spec R springs, but I have read elsewhere on the forum that these give a significant drop on the convertible (more weight I guess). From the pictures, this is much more than I'm looking for as I would prefer only a slight drop in ride height.

It looks like my only options are the BMW performance springs @ $400/set or just to stick with the M-sport springs already on the car.

Could anyone offer any advice on which way to go or any alternatives that I may not yet have discovered. If the BMW performance spring option is the best way to go, is there anywhere cheaper than getBMWparts @ $388 plus shipping?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #2
Rob Daman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Unless BMW makes a performance spring made specifically for a vert, the drop won't be mild as they claim. I bought mine used and it came from a coupe.

I didn't measure before and after but it's significant. It rides good though with my Koni yellows.

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #3
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

I believe they do have vert specific BMW P springs because when you order you have to give your VIN number so they can match springs to your specific car.
      05-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
Rob Daman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

I had done some searching and had found that BMW didn't make a E88 version of the kit though.

I'm sure a call to parts will verify that. Just a heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2the3 View Post
I believe they do have vert specific BMW P springs because when you order you have to give your VIN number so they can match springs to your specific car.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 01:17 PM   #5
atterbud
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

I spoke with a guy from getbmwparts and found that there is apparently no E88 specific kit from BMW, only for the coupe. He also said that he did not know the rates of any of the springs in the kits as BMW does not publish it.

I saw on another related thread that member 135iam considered running the Swift Spec R springs for the 335i as the weights of the convertible 135 and the 335 coupe are actually pretty similar. I think I'm going to give this a try and see how it turns out.

If anyone can see any glaring reason why this setup would be a mistake, I'd very much appreciate the heads up before I start the install.

I'll post back when I get the parts and get around to installing it all. I used to do DIY on cars (original Mini, Wesfield and Caterham) all the time when I was a kid back in the UK, but now I'm old and even less patient, so installing all this lot is going to be an interesting exercise!

Thanks for the comments.
Appreciate 0